Global warming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonyg9241 27 Mar 2020

Hi all

With all of us and most of the world now in lockdown I was wondering if there may be some consequence in the amount of CO2 being released might we see a reduction in the greenhouse gas emissions.  While CV 19 is bad for us all Will it help the climate these are my thoughts could it be a good thing in that respect of global warming

cheers Tony

ClimberEd 27 Mar 2020
In reply to tonyg9241:

yes, absolutely. Emissions dropped considerably during the GFC (I hate that name, why don't they just call it the 2008 crash) 

Harry Jarvis 27 Mar 2020
In reply to ClimberEd:

> yes, absolutely. Emissions dropped considerably during the GFC (I hate that name, why don't they just call it the 2008 crash) 

Marginally. If you look at the Keeling Curve, it would hard to spot any long-term effect. 

https://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/data/atmospheric_co2/primary_mlo_co2_record.htm...

And for the data:

at the end of 2007, CO2 concentration was 384.51ppm. At the end of '08, it was 386.01, and at the end of '09, it was 388.39. 

Similarly for the current reduction - there will be a small short-term effect, with no meaningful effect on the overall long-term trend unless there are significant behavioural changes arising. 

henwardian 27 Mar 2020
In reply to tonyg9241:

Yes. But only in a very temporary manner.

In the longer term there is no way to know what the effect will be, just too many factors at play:

- you might have regression to cheaper fuels because the global economy took a hit i.e. more CO2 emmissions.

- you might have lower emissions due to decreased demand as the world goes into a recession after COVID and everyone is using and producing less.

- you might have lower demand due to 2 or 3% of the worlds population no longer consuming.

- you might have slower development of CO2 reducing tech as the financial squeeze reduces funding for research and incentives for it. Leading to high CO2 emissions levels continuing for longer.

And a whole host of other possibilities.

ClimberEd 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Marginally.

Err no.

Read the OP.

Emissions, not atmospheric concentration. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...