'glass looking' lexan type window plastic...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 16 Jun 2021

I have a small narrow window which the glass has cracked in, it's a pain to climb through, and security bolted shut too, has anybody any advice or experience on what would be relatively tough and relatively 'glass looking'?

I replaced a glass shelve in my freezer with some, and it has a faint blue tint to it, which I want to avoid.

Many thanks.

Tim

Post edited at 17:42
 gravy 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

laminated glass?

Iwan 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Polycarb sheet.

In reply to Timmd:

> I have a small narrow window which the glass has cracked in, it's a pain to climb through, and security bolted shut too, has anybody any advice or experience on what would be relatively tough and relatively 'glass looking'?

Glass.

Seriously though, polycarbonate is the alternative but probably more expensive.

> I replaced a glass shelve in my freezer with some, and it has a faint blue tint to it, which I want to avoid.

You sure you took the protective film off? Sometimes it's really hard to tell it's still on there.

Bottom Clinger 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

What would the glass be?

Ridge 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

I'm baffled. Why would you want climb through a window, and what has the security bolt got to do with replacing the glass, and why not just replace the glass with..er...glass?

Bottom Clinger 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Sorry, meant to say what dimensions would the glass be?

OP Timmd 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> I'm baffled. Why would you want climb through a window, and what has the security bolt got to do with replacing the glass, and why not just replace the glass with..er...glass?

I don't want to climb through the window.

I'm less likely to break the replacement for the cracked glass. if it's not made of glass, while replacing it, or otherwise.

Post edited at 20:30
 Blue Straggler 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Ridge:

I was baffled too but didn't dare say anything because other posters often seem to think I am attacking Timmd. 

I think he might be referring to cracked glass being a temptation for burglars. 

Post edited at 21:54
 Blue Straggler 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> I don't want to climb through the window.

> I'm less likely to break the replacement for the cracked glass. if it's not made of glass, while replacing it, or otherwise.

Could you buy two pieces of glass and just be really careful with what you are doing, or get someone in who is more confident with it?

Removed User 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Why not just use glass? It's not that easy to break unless you're a complete imbecile. There are some some pretty compelling reasons why they make windows out of er glass.

Top tip - assuming you pinning it before putty, slide the hammer up and down against the glass when tw*tting the pins in. The way the pin goes almost parallel to the glass and you don't risk putting the hammer through.

Post edited at 11:22
 Ciro 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> Why not just use glass? It's not that easy to break unless you're a complete imbecile. There are some some pretty compelling reasons why they make windows out of er glass.

> Top tip - assuming you pinning it before putty, slide the hammer up and down against the glass when tw*tting the pins in. The way the pin goes almost parallel to the glass and you don't risk putting the hammer through.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=729956017502144&_rdr

Ridge 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Ciro:

Brilliant!

owlart 17 Jun 2021

Another top top: If using putty in a mastic gun, don't place the glass on the floor underneath the window while you run a bead of putty around the frame, you just might(!) drop the mastic gun and smash the glass. Doubly so if it's a window with two panes of glass! *whistles innocently*

OP Timmd 18 Jun 2021

I could just use glass, and then thought to google which is greener, and it turns out that polycarbonate sheeting is greener than glass to produce, and is more efficient thermally too, so I've ordered a small piece of that to compare with the glass. If it's clearly different and I don't like it's appearance enough to order some glass, my environmental footprint has been small for the past 12-13 years.

It being lighter may help with any DIY in the future, when positioning it during any repainting and things...

Post edited at 19:00
 Blue Straggler 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Ciro:

Fantastic. A lot of the time you can't tell whether Stilgoe is being incredibly dry, or just has contempt for the material  

Ciro 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Fantastic. A lot of the time you can't tell whether Stilgoe is being incredibly dry, or just has contempt for the material  

Indeed, it popped up on my feed a while back... I'd forgotten about him a long time ago, but watching it brought back memories of a very entertaining chap 😁

In reply to Timmd:

Your window is small and narrow, and is difficult to climb through, but is of sufficient size that its environmental impact is worth considering as is its weight when it needs to be positioned for decorating. I’m baffled. Is the the Hubble Space Telescope?

In reply to Ciro:

> Indeed, it popped up on my feed a while back... I'd forgotten about him a long time ago, but watching it brought back memories of a very entertaining chap 😁

I had long ago created probably a very false memory of him always being really smug and punchable in a "look how clever I am with this synthesizer, and some wordplay" way across various bits of childrens' television. 

Now, it seems that he was (and is) an absolutely top bloke! 

In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

This entire thread is like being in an episode of a certain Viz character called Terry...

Removed User 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

While your self-flagellating on your carbon impact you may want to consider the longer term UV induced degradation of your polycarbonate.

Post edited at 22:42

Some “light” (geddit?) reading 

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2280800019881626

jkarran 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Whatever plastic you want you can get in whatever tint, or none, just like glass, it'll just require a lot of shopping about and maybe some minimum quantity annoyance. I'm still baffled by the climbing through and future breaking bit but i'd just put glass back, it won't go milky, scratch or craze with age. If you're concerned about thermals or toughness for reasons, get a toughened sealed unit.

Jk

didntcomelast 20 Jun 2021
In reply to owlart:

Without wanting to hijack the post, that’s a bit like putting a wall mounted headboard back after your wife has spent some considerable time putting a really nice but expensive yellow wallpaper on the wall, using a rubber mallet to knock the headboard into place leaves some really obvious black marks on yellow wallpaper. 

Blue Straggler 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Timmd:

"If it's clearly different and I don't like it's appearance enough to order some glass, my environmental footprint has been small for the past 12-13 years."

This sentence has been confusing me for ages. I still can't decipher it. Is it a puzzle? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...