Gina Miller, anti-Brexit campaigner and climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Rose 11 Mar 2019

According to this article, the anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller has climbed in Gozo, Namibia and elsewhere. It says free-climbing - by which I imagine she means not using aid, though I suppose the magazine just possibly meant she is a soloist.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/gina-miller-on-why-she-loves-he...

All very well, but as the saying goes, what has she done on grit? 

MischaHY 11 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

I strongly suspect she means free climbing in the proper context, considering that in the wake of Dawn Wall and Free Solo the mainstream is far more aware of the difference between styles than previously, plus it's a direct quote as opposed to a bio piece. 

In reply to David Rose:

" The rock presents you with a puzzle that you solve through body movements aligned with mental discipline. It’s a neuromuscular activity and when I reach the top the vista always takes my breath away and makes me feel humble."

Not an inaccurate explanation of climbing.

Post edited at 15:11
 mbh 11 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

On the basis of this very brief insight into who she is, I am very much inclined to like Gina Miller.

JDal 12 Mar 2019
In reply to mbh:

> On the basis of this very brief insight into who she is, I am very much inclined to like Gina Miller.

That and the fact that Banks/ Farage/Mogg/Mail/Express etc want her head on a platter. All good so far

AlisonS 12 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

I'm very much inclined to like her too.

sammy5000 13 Mar 2019
In reply to JDal:

You just named many people whos heads i would love to see on a platter! Now that would be fantastic!

Hi john 

Best regards to you.

Sam

Sandstonier 13 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

The unspeakable in pursuit of the unobtainable.

sammy5000 13 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

You people with your dislikes are weird any one who thinks Farage and Mogg are good old salt of the earth people who care about society. Must have some defects in your gene pool. Or maybe your just related distantly to one of the pair of dicks!

Simon Caldwell 13 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

Or maybe are just normal people who happen to disagree with you? 

sammy5000 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Is it normal to like toffee nosed public school boys! 

Prof. Outdoors 13 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

Possibly you used it as a fgure of speech but even if I have no time for some people that does not mean I would want to see their heads on a platter.

Ram 13 Mar 2019
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Farage is a top bloke. I shared a crack pipe with him once in Bradford one morning. We then went and played cricket with some Asia  kids and finished the day off working Raindogs at Malham. He's wicked at stick clipping . He shpuld be on the British stick clipping team in the next Olympics 

Timmd 13 Mar 2019

> Or maybe are just normal people who happen to disagree with you? 

IIRK, Reese Mog is set to make a lot of money from Brexit, and from no deal, and Farage portrays himself as being an affable man of the people when he's an ex financial guru millionaire who has also about not wanting to live next to Romanians.

So one of them has a vested interest - making his motives muddier than simple patriotic principle, and the other one is a bigot who arguably pretends to be something he isn't.

Post edited at 22:31
 John Cuthbert 14 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

I think her claim to fame is rather more substantial than whether she is a bloody climber or not..

John C

Robert Durran 14 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

> According to this article, the anti-Brexit campaigner Gina Miller has climbed in Gozo, Namibia and elsewhere.

> All very well, but as the saying goes, what has she done on grit? 

All very well, but what has she done to try to save the country from oblivion.........   oh, wait a minute......

Post edited at 07:33
 Simon Caldwell 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Timmd:

I've got no time for Farage and chums, but don't like to see anyone who disagrees with me painted as some sort of moron. It's no better than the Brexiters who call "traitor" whenever someone says the EU might not be so bad.

Dogwatch 14 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

> Is it normal to like toffee nosed public school boys! 

I like people who take people as they find them. I have found some ex-public school boys to be open minded about those they encounter. Unlike you, it seems.

The New NickB 14 Mar 2019
In reply to Dogwatch:

> I like people who take people as they find them. I have found some ex-public school boys to be open minded about those they encounter. Unlike you, it seems.

I guess they tend not to be toffee nosed though, it’s an odd insult to throw at Farage though, he isn’t toffee nosed, he is a lying fraud.

planetmarshall 14 Mar 2019

> I've got no time for Farage and chums, but don't like to see anyone who disagrees with me painted as some sort of moron.

I don't have much time for Mogg these days, but there was a time when he came across as much less of a dickhead. I remember an appearance on HIGNFY when he defended Jeremy Corbyn against criticism of his pacifism by saying that he should be respected for sticking by his principles when politics makes such a stance difficult.

I suspect that now he's much more in the public eye, he says less what he thinks and more what he believes his constituents want to hear. William Hague is the same.

McHeath 14 Mar 2019
In reply to AlisonS:

Me too. But who is this Dawn Wall everybody's talking about?

jkarran 14 Mar 2019
In reply to sammy5000:

> You people with your dislikes are weird any one who thinks Farage and Mogg are good old salt of the earth people who care about society. Must have some defects in your gene pool. Or maybe your just related distantly to one of the pair of dicks!

Maybe they worry about the coarsening of our political discourse, they think it dangerous rather than amusing that wishing or calling for violence to be visited upon opponents has become both commonplace and acceptable. Just a guess.

jk

Post edited at 14:23
 Timmd 14 Mar 2019

> I've got no time for Farage and chums, but don't like to see anyone who disagrees with me painted as some sort of moron. It's no better than the Brexiters who call "traitor" whenever someone says the EU might not be so bad.

That's fair enough.

Post edited at 18:08
 wercat 15 Mar 2019
In reply to McHeath:

She was in The Office, innit?

Pete Pozman 15 Mar 2019

> I've got no time for Farage and chums, but don't like to see anyone who disagrees with me painted as some sort of moron. It's no better than the Brexiters who call "traitor" whenever someone says the EU might not be so bad.

Farage isn't a moron. He's a very dangerous, cunning evil man who may well have single handedly brought about the downfall of the West 

Unless we all snap out of this trance 

Arms Cliff 15 Mar 2019
In reply to planetmarshall:

> I suspect that now he's much more in the public eye, he says less what he thinks and more what he believes his constituents want to hear. William Hague is the same.

The constituents of Bath and North East Somerset voted remain, so it’s definitely not them he’s thinking about...

In reply to 

Gina Millar, I probably would, Dawn Wall, probably not.  

Timmd 15 Mar 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Whether one would or not probably pails into insignificance next to how brave she'd had to be, in facing death threats and being labeled as a traitor and similar by online nut-jobs.

Edit:  Fueled by papers like the Daily Mail.

Post edited at 19:48
 Pete Pozman 15 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

Gina Miller is a better person than me in every other respect so it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that she is a better climber too. 

Trevers 15 Mar 2019
In reply to David Rose:

She was also a dancing silhouette girl in one of the intro credits sequences in a Bond film.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...