Giant defy zero alternative bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 awallace 23 Sep 2020

Giant defy zero alternative bike?

On Monday I was put in hospital by a careless driver and my lovely 2015 steed is now ruined. Her insurance have asked for quotes on replacement bikes and I am seeking advice on alternatives road bikes that are similar. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Andy.

felt 23 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

From another of the Big Four US frame makers, the Trek Emonda ALR gets consistently good reviews. Co Durham's quite hilly.

In reply to awallace:

I'm sorry Wallace, you've got me there. I may be a thicko, but I can't get beyond your title sentence. Some nice words, but the more I stare at it and the harder I try the less I understand it.

I've tried similar constructions like 'Pygmy welcome infinitesimal mainstream horse' to see if it helps me, but without success.

Post edited at 14:54
In reply to Mike Stretford:

OK thanks, I get it now, but that title was just so esoteric. And requires a lot of inside knowledge. I suppose it's roughly equivalent to saying 'Davek alternative harness?' 

Of course the whole thing would have been saved, for those who've never heard of a 'Giant Defy 0' bike, by some capitals in the right place.

Post edited at 15:01
 marsbar 23 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

Hope you are ok. 

In reply to awallace:

Anyhow, main point now: hope you are not too seriously hurt and make a complete recovery.

Mike Stretford 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Yeah I see what you mean, it was an intriguing mix of words that hinted at some new and fantastic form of personal transport. 

BobtheBagger 23 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

I bought a Giant Defy Advanced 1 for £2,199 about a month ago, I went for that one as I've been using a Giant Gravel bike for the past 18 months and it looked like the geometry would be similar and therefore I knew it would be comfortable. It's a lovely bike, you could get a lighter one, but it just feels great to ride and copes well with hills.  Highly recommended. 

Cobra_Head 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> . And requires a lot of inside knowledge.

Isn't that the point? If you can't understand the title, you're not likely to be much help, I did, and still can't!

Timmd 23 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

If you use it to commute on, a steel disc bike might survive the rigours slightly more unscathed? Unless it's your only bike and you like the lightness of carbon for general cycling.

I'm pondering building up a beater bike with front suspension, so I can nip up curbs out of the way of people if I ever need to, traffic hurts! 

Speedy healing, and happy hunting.

Post edited at 17:54
 felt 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

It's an alu bike, not carbon, the Defy. Hence my recommend

wbo2 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:  if a car goes over it then steel isn't any more likely to survive... and having owned plenty of steel,  al and carbon, carbon thanks

Monk 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

You don't need front suspension to bump up kerbs. I'd suggest saving the weight. 

Timmd 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Monk: I'd agree forks aren't essential, it can depend upon the curb height, and speed and angle at which one approaches. 

OP awallace 24 Sep 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks man. I'm alive - so that's good.

OP awallace 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Thank you friend!👍

OP awallace 24 Sep 2020

Sorry Gordon. My thinking is about as straight as my bike at the moment.

Blue Straggler 24 Sep 2020

It took me about 7 seconds to get it. Was there any need for your childish and unpleasant “contribution” to the thread?

To the OP - sorry, I don’t know much about bikes but I did understand your post. 

NorthernGrit 24 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

Without back story this may be in hand but - are you insured? Do you have a solicitor? I assume if you were hospitalised injury was more than minor. Beware the insurance company is not buying off your future (larger) claim with a the promise of a nice shiny new bike now.

LeeWood 24 Sep 2020
In reply to BobtheBagger:

> I bought a Giant Defy Advanced 1 for £2,199

I'm an 'expensive bike denier' - they never used to cost this much and *can't* be worth it -we all used to have a good time on bikes max £500 !

How many races have you won to justify this expenditure ?

Mike Stretford 24 Sep 2020
In reply to LeeWood: I've noticed some people scoff at people who choose to spend their money on nice bikes..... it's odd, could be applied to almost any consumer goods, but isn't. Would you ask someone in an expensive shirt how many modelling contracts they had won? Someone in a sporty car how many rallies they'd won?

Post edited at 13:35
 Timmd 24 Sep 2020

Or how many expeditions they'd gone on in their mountain tent. 

Saying that. there's a cool Eddie Merckx quote which is 'Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades' .

dread-i 24 Sep 2020
In reply to awallace:

You could go to 3 or 4 high end bike shops and get them to produce some independent quotes. Submit the highest two.

As mentioned in the thread, make sure they are not just going to fob you off. If you were hit whilst in a car, you'd have a courtesy car by now to get you around, whilst all the details were sorted. A couple of months of hire car would be well in excess of the cost of your bike. Plus you'd have the joy of several companies asking you about that whiplash you sustained.

If you were hit and then bounced, you've probably got more actual physical damage than someone who's seat belt and airbag took the brunt. Take pictures of the scars and bruises. Remember to claim for clothes, gloves, helmet, as well as time off work and any physio.

There are no shortage of claims management companies. If you have household insurance, you may already have legal cover, which will allow them to chase on your behalf. If you're a member of a union, check with them as well.

And get better soon

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to LeeWood: I'm building up a steel Cotic XCross frame with disc brake wheels I'm about to have built, I don't like the ride of alu in road bikes*, and I can tend to fall off. A relative who branched out from metal fatigue into carbon and rubber for their software had somebody come in to talk about carbon and hidden damage being sometimes a thing in things made from carbon fibre, so I've gone with what I don't need to think too much about beyond looking it if I ever fall off (though carbon can be checked out by 'people who know'). Hopefully it'll last for as long as do - falling off excluded.

* My deceased alu Kona Cindercone was a great mtb in being stiff going up hills.

Post edited at 14:55
OP awallace 24 Sep 2020
In reply to NorthernGrit:

The insurance company hasn't made any offer yet just asked for two set of quotes about the bike. Yes I was injured and off work for the 4th day now. No broken bones but a lot of soft tissues needed sewing up.

Thanks for your input man.

LeeWood 24 Sep 2020

> I've noticed some people scoff at people who choose to spend their money on nice bikes..... it's odd, could be applied to almost any consumer goods, but isn't. Would you ask someone in an expensive shirt how many modelling contracts they had won? Someone in a sporty car how many rallies they'd won?

It's well known - people spend £1000 to get 1kg off their bike weight while doing nowt to rid the 5kg tyre round their midriff

In fact, i'd rather see money (over)spent on a bike than a car or computer. But I am omni-sceptical of all over-indulgence. And yes, if I knew someone well enough I would ask those questions - not to anger - just to stimulate debate. For many people expenditure is just a means of upping status - aka showing off.

As for the mountain tent - Timmd - yes I would question buying an Everest-tech tent to go camp on the South Downs

Mike Stretford 24 Sep 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> In fact, i'd rather see money (over)spent on a bike than a car or computer. But I am omni-sceptical of all over-indulgence. And yes, if I knew someone well enough I would ask those questions - not to anger - just to stimulate debate. For many people expenditure is just a means of upping status - aka showing off.

I've known some pretty frugal people who have one passion where they do indulge themselves, and it's not about status, it's about treating themselves, investing in their passion, with an appreciation of the tech or craftsmanship. I do object to throwaway consumerism but we aren't talking about that here. Best not to jump to conclusion over people motives, I find.

OP: Sorry for tangent.... they do bump threads up.

Ciro 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I'd agree forks aren't essential, it can depend upon the curb height, and speed and angle at which one approaches. 

If you're going slowly you can change the angle, if you're going quickly road bikes can bunny hop too

youtube.com/watch?v=-nOu5TYGvoU&

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Ciro: Have you seen Sheffield's roads? Steep hills + pot holes x being in a hurry = a hardtail mountain bike.

Post edited at 18:05
 felt 24 Sep 2020

> OP: Sorry for tangent.... they do bump threads up.

Tbf, the whole thread is one giant tangent.

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

> In fact, i'd rather see money (over)spent on a bike than a car or computer. But I am omni-sceptical of all over-indulgence. And yes, if I knew someone well enough I would ask those questions - not to anger - just to stimulate debate. For many people expenditure is just a means of upping status - aka showing off. As for the mountain tent - Timmd - yes I would question buying an Everest-tech tent to go camp on the South Downs

Do you live (have you lived) down south by any chance? My Dad's partner is originally from the north, and moved down south at some point in her life, and once observed that the south can be a different culture compared to the north, in mentioning that a millionaire up north might still live in a (pretty nice) semi detached house, or reasonably moderate detached house, while down south things can be more along the lines of wealth being more 'on display', or people being less self conscious or circumspect about what one might call showing off.

nb: This was more of a cultural observation than a criticism of people from down south, she's not the sort to make it a criticism.

Post edited at 18:55
 Ridge 24 Sep 2020
In reply to felt:

> Tbf, the whole thread is one giant tangent.

Giant Tangent? How does that compare with the Giant Defy Zero?

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge: It's more of a touring bike for exploring on, and going hither and thither.

Post edited at 20:29
 Ridge 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> the south can be a different culture compared to the north, in mentioning that a millionaire up north might still live in a (pretty nice) semi detached house, or reasonably moderate detached house, while down south things can be more along the lines of wealth being more 'on display'

I though you had to be a millionaire down south to afford a flat, never mind a semi.

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge: A converted barn on the edge of the Cotswolds can cost circa a million - a million and a half, I guess it depends which pocket one looks in, a relative moved down near there (to on the end of on the edge) and was talking about house prices further into the area. 

Without any spirit of jealousy or judgment, when we went to an organic farmshop which is somewhat within the Cotswolds, and not miles away from Chipping Norton, I was struck by how nobody seemed to be wearing trainers, and had country set brown shoes or similar quite a lot, and everybody was good looking (or pretty good looking) and well turned out. From a sociology point of view, it was like a demonstration of the theory of good looking people being more likely to earn more. It was quite interesting, and fairly thought provoking about the idea of a meritocracy and human nature and related things. 

Post edited at 20:58
 felt 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> I though you had to be a millionaire down south to afford a flat, never mind a semi.

You don't need to be that flush to have a semi.

dread-i 24 Sep 2020
In reply to felt:

> You don't need to be that flush to have a semi.

Exactly! Some people get a semi from just looking at high end bikes.

gazhbo 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

The outskirts of the cotswolds isn’t “the south” any more than Harrogate is “the north”.  If you visit a few organic farm shops in, say, the Bournville estate in Weston-super-Mare you might spot the odd pair of trainers on a few funny looking people.

Timmd 24 Sep 2020
In reply to gazhbo:

> The outskirts of the cotswolds isn’t “the south” any more than Harrogate is “the north”.  If you visit a few organic farm shops in, say, the Bournville estate in Weston-super-Mare you might spot the odd pair of trainers on a few funny looking people.

Economically it probably is, because it's within commuting distance of London by train, people will sit and work on the journey there and back.

Post edited at 21:43
 Blue Straggler 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

“I’m not judging the south or the people in the south but here is a judgemental set of posts about the south and the people in the south”.

Very similar to “I’m not a racist but....” 

And all in a thread from a chap who’s been hospitalised in a road accident and is asking for recommendations for a replacement bicycle.

Peculiar things on UKC, as always 😃

Post edited at 22:11
 LeeWood 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I hope this doesn't stem from the purely coincidental blunder 

> As for the mountain tent - Timmd - yes I would question buying an Everest-tech tent to go camp on the South Downs

I would happily exchange that for:

As for the mountain tent - Timmd - yes I would question buying an Everest-tech tent to go camp on the North York Moors 

Blue Straggler 25 Sep 2020
In reply to LeeWood:

I had a Quasar self destruct around me in the extreme weather environment of “a slightly windy August Bank Holiday at St David’s in Pembrokeshire”

In fairness it was 28 years old and had seen some real action and also neglect.... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...