Getting into central Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 31 Aug 2021

What's the main road like heading into and out of Central Manchester on a work day? Approaching from Glasgow on the M6 and then M61?

Is there any good option for driving close in, parking at some suburban train station and doing the last leg on a train? To avoid congestion and parking issues. 

First post lockdown work meeting...

Post edited at 17:57
 mrphilipoldham 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I haven’t been around the M60/61 junction at rush hour since COVID but you could pick any station on the Bolton line for a park and ride on the train. Farnworth etc. If you do want a look at what the traffic is like on a weekday then you can have a look on the traffic cameras, the feed is in the public domain and a quick Google will bring them up. Obviously doesn’t account for the law of sod which is bound to come in to play on the day though! 

OP Flinticus 31 Aug 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks

Its a toss up between which is worse, sitting in traffic or a work meeting 

Neil Williams 31 Aug 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

The frequency at those small stations is rather low, only hourly I think.  Might even be two hourly due to COVID, there have been some reductions.

This is a full list of the stations with parking in the Greater Manchester area:

https://tfgm.com/public-transport/park-and-ride

I'd suggest going for one of the Metrolink ones, as the trams are at least every 12 minutes and some every 6.  Prestwich is just off the M61 so might suit, though it only has 30 spaces so I don't know if it fills up.

Or if you want further out Horwich Parkway might be a reasonable train option, again just off the M61 (J6), though.  Half hourly from there and a massive car park which has almost no chance of being full with COVID still going on.

Post edited at 19:29
 Bottom Clinger 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Check out Horwich (near Bolton Wanderers ground) to Manchester: very close to M61, trains every 30 mins.  Free parking with train ticket. Wigan to Manchester about  a tenner return, so guess about the same. 

Post edited at 19:41
 plyometrics 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

As others suggest, Horwich Parkway is probably the best shout from the M61. 

Unless you absolutely need the car, why not let the train take the strain direct from Glasgow to Manchester?

Michael Hood 31 Aug 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

The M61 used to back up nicely in the morning, I'd guess it's getting back towards that "normal" by now. If I didn't want to deal with the morning traffic into Manchester from t'north, then I'd go with the Horwich suggestion.

1 minute off the M61 and too far away from Manchester to get caught in the traffic.

Make sure you get past Preston before it snarls up.

wilkie14c 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Commuter heaven these days between M6 and Manc. Buckshaw Parkway, Chorley and Horwich being the main ones, ample parking at all but numbers of spaces and prices prob vary. I’d go for the former myself, Buckshaw, a new ‘town’ between Leyland and Chorley, easiest access from M6. At least 3 trains an hour to Manc from these stations, Barrow-Airport, Blackpool-Airport and Blackpool-Hazel Grove. 

Be aware Northern are running a slightly reduced timetable at present. This is due to staff shortages caused by C19 but when they go back to full TT they’ll be another service hourly too, Blackpool-Man Vic.

OP Flinticus 31 Aug 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

No. Minimise risk from non mask wearers. My sister in law abandoned a train journey on the same line dueto non mask wearing groups drinking and singing.

While its actually a legal requirement in Scotland its not being enforced by train staff. How picky! I reckon if I sparked up a joint they'd have something to say, or even if I put my feet on an empty seat...

Can't open windows, no 'masked carriage' option...

Post edited at 22:28
 Neil Williams 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Mask wearing on trains is not that high in England now, people are increasingly not bothering now it's no longer the law.  If that's your priority, I'd recommend you wear an FFP2 or FFP3 to protect yourself (then you don't have to worry about what others do or don't do) or drive all the way and accept the traffic.

Post edited at 00:15
 plyometrics 01 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Don’t blame you to be honest! Hope you sort a plan that works. 👍

mrphilipoldham 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Prestwich would involve passing the M61 junction that is likely to cause delay that the OP is hoping to avoid.. may as well continue all the way in to Manchester by car if you're going that far.

OP Flinticus 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Thanks all.

zv 05 Sep 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I don't think driving into Central Manchester will be that bad depending on the time. If your meeting is in the centre you could park just across the river in Salford, literally near Rockover climbing centre and  the Manchester Arena where there is lots of cheap parking and then walk into town for 5 to 10 mins. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...