German climbing lady missing the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elfchen 06 Nov 2020

Hi all

in the end I decided to write here. Maybe it helps.

I wanted to move to the UK beginning of this year. Than this... "nice little microbe" happened and everything was stopped

As I already quit my old apartment in Germany I needed to go at least somewhere. I ended up in Garmisch Partenkirchen. Which is nice! But boring  

I am wandering if there are some other exile UK people around to meet with? Still looking for nice good, funny, lovely climbing partners.

Around means somewhere in Bavaria.

Or maybe somebody in the UK is interested in chatting, writing whatever.

I really really miss this land and the climbing and good people there.

And at least it´s maybe good to already build some friendship there before moving. You see I do not give up that someday I can go

I am 44, climbing since a few years, loving nature and hiking and biking and most of it my wonderful Balu (best Dog ever )

Hoping to receive some nice mails

Elfchen

Arcturus 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

Delightful post. Deserves lots of replies. Garmisch has good skiing can't think why you'd want to come here 😊.

Stichtplate 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

Lovely post and I hope you manage to hook up with some Bavarian Brits. I also sincerely hope that your very next post isn't an innocent enquiry into why the Great Barrington Declaration hasn't been in the news much

ripper 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

If you have to suffer a lockdown somewhere, I bet Garmisch beats Coventry hands down... I'm trying to think of something we have more of. Shootings, maybe? Let's hope we can all travel again before toooooo long, you can get over here and we can come over there, if we're still welcome!

The Lemming 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

I like the dog in your profile pic. What is s/he called?

Dr.S at work 06 Nov 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Balu - do you need a quick trip to Barnard Castle?

bonebag 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Arcturus:

Don't forget the ski jump too. One of the Four Hills around New Year.

bonebag 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

The Alpspitze and Zugspitze are good. Have had great days on both of them. 

nastyned 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

I can think of worse places to be locked down! I spent a week in Bavaria last year, but I must confess it was visiting breweries rather then going climbing. 

The Lemming 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> Balu - do you need a quick trip to Barnard Castle?

Its quite hard to tell, even with my big 4K monitor. 🧐

Alyson30 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

I hope you do manage to make it. Worth remembering that on the 1st of January it’s going to be considerably harder and costly to move to the UK. Now is the time to come if you can.

Post edited at 00:43
 ThunderCat 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

I actually read this as "German climbing lady missing in the UK"

I'm glad to know that you are safe 😁

Toby_W 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

Bavaria is not so bad surely as a holding spot, you remind me I must email one of my best friends, she lives there too.  Good luck, these things are finite, you’ll make it to where you want to be 😀

Cheers

Toby 

street_alex 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

Try also ukbouldering forum. There’s a German chap in your area, I think. I had planned to meet up with him for bouldering in Allgau region but plan feel through. He was an older gent, as I recall. Anyway ukbouldering may also be worth a post.

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=27168.0

Post edited at 09:28
OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020

> Delightful post. Deserves lots of replies. Garmisch has good skiing can't think why you'd want to come here 😊.

In reply to Arcturus:

Why? maybe because I am not that much into skiing

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

>  I also sincerely hope that your very next post isn't an innocent enquiry into why the Great Barrington Declaration hasn't been in the news much

nope, I know this game it´s the same here..

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to ripper:

> If you have to suffer a lockdown somewhere, I bet Garmisch beats Coventry hands down... I'm trying to think of something we have more of. Shootings, maybe? Let's hope we can all travel again before toooooo long, you can get over here and we can come over there, if we're still welcome!

I did not say that I suffer it´s only that I miss the country and the people over there. I can not see that people from the UK are not welcome here. Put my post should not be about political things

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Its quite hard to tell, even with my big 4K monitor. 🧐

Thank you Dr S.

I wrote the name in my post

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to bonebag:

> The Alpspitze and Zugspitze are good. Have had great days on both of them. 

for I´ve already been there also climbing (Alpspitze). That was really great 

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to nastyned:

> I can think of worse places to be locked down! I spent a week in Bavaria last year, but I must confess it was visiting breweries rather then going climbing. 

jep agree. but no nice crags did not say it´s not nice. I´d rather like to be in Garmisch than in a huge city..

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Alyson30:

> I hope you do manage to make it. Worth remembering that on the 1st of January it’s going to be considerably harder and costly to move to the UK. Now is the time to come if you can.

Hi Alyson. Thank you yes I know but at the moment it´s just not possible with closed boardes. I still have hope that Brexit will not be the very hard way.. keep fingers crossed

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I actually read this as "German climbing lady missing in the UK"

> I'm glad to know that you are safe 😁

directly checked if I did it wrong

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Toby_W:

> Good luck, these things are finite, you’ll make it to where you want to be 😀

> Cheers

> Toby 

Thank you Toby I know. This was just one of the steps

OP Elfchen 07 Nov 2020
In reply to street_alex:

> Try also ukbouldering forum.

Thank you alex, will do his name was not Hary? He is a guy I know from the Allgäu who is crazy with bouldering

Alyson30 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

> Hi Alyson. Thank you yes I know but at the moment it´s just not possible with closed boardes. I still have hope that Brexit will not be the very hard way.. keep fingers crossed

My sister just moved to Manchester from France with relative ease. Borders aren’t closed you just need the two weeks quarantine.
Unfortunately re movement of people hard Brexit is already done and dusted. Freedom of movement ends this year.

Myfyr Tomos 07 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

Same here. I thought... why hasn't this been on the local news? Doh, my mistake.

Trangia 07 Nov 2020
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I actually read this as "German climbing lady missing in the UK"

> I'm glad to know that you are safe 😁

Ditto!!

nastyned 08 Nov 2020
In reply to Elfchen:

> jep agree. but no nice crags did not say it´s not nice. I´d rather like to be in Garmisch than in a huge city..

I know the feeling. We're back in lock down, so apart from work, I'm not doing anything at the moment, let alone going climbing

gravy 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

You're cramping his style...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...