Geofix aka EASYJoint - opinions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 03 Sep 2021

Having had generally unsatisfactory results with these apparently similar products when used by two different contractors, I'd be interested to know what other folks who use/have used them think of them.  If you have used them, were they any good - did they "do what it said on the tin"?  Are there any tricks/tips or gotchas in using them?  And are they basically the same product, or is one better than the other?

The background to my question is that we've had a couple of hard landscaping jobs done in the last couple of years.  One involved some 'crazy' paving, the other normal rectangular paving slabs.  In both cases the paving material was natural stone, and in both cases the contractors used Geofix or EASYJoint to fill the gaps between the paving stones/slabs.

In the case of the 'crazy' paving the Geofix never seemed to cure properly, breaking up in to sandy residue which spreads all over the paving and then gets tracked around the garden and in to the house.  We complained to the contractor about this but they stalled and prevaricated for months and eventually just didn't return our calls or e-mails.

We got a different contractor in for the second piece of work, earlier this year, and asked them to replace the unsatisfactory jointing on the crazy paving at the same time.  They jointed the rectangular paving with EASYJoint, which seemed to have cured OK (though there is still a small amount of sandy residue appearing on the surface from time to time, so some deterioration may yet be occurring).  They used the same product to re-joint the crazy paving, and for some square setts that they laid as a border to the rectangular paving.  In both those cases the EASYJoint hasn't cured properly and is, as was our previous experience, breaking up in to a sandy residue and leaving the joints exposed.

What we have noticed is that in both the cases where the products failed to cure properly, the joints appeared to have been partially secured with mortar before the EASYJoint was applied as a 'cosmetic' finish.  Having found the manufacturer's information sheet for EASYJoint it does seem to state that the product should specifically not be laid on top of an impermeable under layer.  So it looks like both contractors have mis-used the product(s).  The second contractor did originally agree to come back and re-do the failed jointing, but they also now appear to have resorted to "ghosting" us, which is nice...

I get the impression that some contractors like to use these products because they are quick and easy to apply cf more traditional methods - but it seems all too easy to fall in to the trap of doing so with little or no regard to their suitability for each specific application.  Given that such contractors prefer to opt for the easy but inappropriate solution in the first place it is perhaps no great surprise that, when their poor workmanship is pointed out to them, they opt effectively to go into hiding rather than, presumably, end up losing money on the job by spending more time and materials doing it the way they should have done it in the first place.

I don't think we can really be arsed to resort to the small claims court or Trading Standards.  We just want the work done properly with the correct materials so that it looks good and lasts well!

Post edited at 11:37
Removed User 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

Why didn't you specify mortar? I never seen any of that resin based stuff stay in place.

Jus 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I'm a landscaper and have being using Nexus Fusion for a while now with no complaints from clients

https://www.nexuspavingsystems.co.uk/products/fusion 

This stuff is meant for driveways and is stronger still https://www.nexuspavingsystems.co.uk/products/max

if it's coming out after being installed I would probably say the joints aren't deep enough and possibly too wide? 

Jus 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Removed User:

Mortar can fall out very easily if done badly. I've just regrouted a huge patio for a client whose landscaper had used mortar only 3 years ago. It was falling out and cracking all over the place.

Post edited at 21:08
 Jus 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

FYI this guy is the world's leading expert when it comes to everything paving!

https://www.pavingexpert.com/pointing 

Jus 03 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

A lot of unhappy easyjoint users out there it seems. I've not heard of it before and I'm glad I've never touched it. I'm sorry about your bad experience

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.azpects.co.uk

Wainers44 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I used the sika version on yorkstone paving and so far so good. It was far far quicker that mortar, in fact I couldn't have done it with mortar and made a decent job.

Ours does sand up slightly, but not much. When I was putting the stuff down I made sure I compacted the joints very well and also that the paving was properly damp. I did wonder how the stuff would work in the summer when it was really hot and sunny?

OP Martin W 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> Why didn't you specify mortar? I never seen any of that resin based stuff stay in place.

I didn't specify mortar because I don't know a great deal about hard landscaping, and I (perhaps, in retrospect, foolishly) trusted the contractors to know what they were doing.  But I think it's not exactly unusual for people to employ contractors to do jobs that they don't have the knowledge/skills/time to do themselves.  It was only when the material failed for the second time of asking that I began to suspect that both contractors were either ignorant, incompetent or just shoddy.

FWIW, the contractors we used this year were the only ones who would quote for the job: everyone else we spoke to was swamped with work as the Covid lockdowns started to ease.  We'd normally have got multiple quotes but this time round it just wasn't possible if the job was going to get done this year (which SWMBO was very keen to happen).  And on top of everything else the contractor we did employ was hit by the pingdemic and disappeared off site for a month...

Post edited at 12:00
OP Martin W 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

It was tipping down most of the time that our contractors were working this year so I doubt that dryness was the issue!  The first lot that failed was put down in December 2019 and the contractor in that case said that it was probably the cold weather that was causing it to take longer to cure.  That was still their excuse three months later...

I think the obvious key lesson here is choosing contractors wisely, but as I said above, circumstances rather conspired against us being able to be too picky this year, unfortunately.

Sean_J 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

There's usually a reason that some contractors have immediate availability when the others are all busy... (sorry!)

robhorton 04 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I used Geofix to repoint our natural stone patio on the recommendation of the local builders' merchant. It's lasted pretty well (starting to break in places after 8 years, but I'm far from an expert at installing it). I suspect it's not really suited for something with wider gaps, but either way I'd expect a contractor to use something suitable and take responsibility for sorting it out if it doesn't work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...