Gary Linekers' politics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Gary has been in the news recently because some other BBC staff have moaned about his constant political tweets (hugely in favour of remain) that they would not be allowed to do. The accusation is of double standards at the BBC.

He is the BBCs highest paid presenter and has appeared on stage at a rally calling for a second referendum.

The BBC say that as he is not involved with news or politics, they do not care what he tweets in his spare time, and also he is a freelancer and not a direct employee. But other employees say they are turning a blind eye to their star

So, this begs the question how would the BBC react if he was constantly tweeting pro Brexit anti EU propaganda and appearing on stage at "Leave means Leave" rallies ? Would they be so sanguine or would they ask him to stop?

rj_townsend 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Why does this beg that question at all?

Yanis Nayu 17 Dec 2018

I suppose he just goes some small way to balancing the BBC’s politicos. 

In reply to rj_townsend:

Well it did to me. What do you think? They (the BBC) would care or not? It's all hypothetical

MG 17 Dec 2018

I think that was a point about the meaning of question begging.

I don't know, and it's a reasonable question.  However, given that leavers, remainers, tories, Corbynites the SNP etc all think the BBC is biased against them, I'd say on balance their neutrality is pretty good across the piece.

In reply to MG:

Fair enough I should have said raises the question...my bad

Mike Stretford 17 Dec 2018

There was a good article on this recently, as there are actually a few BBC presenters doing this for both sides. They've never stopped non current affairs presenters from expressing opinions but twitter now means they have a much more effective platform where it used to be the odd interview. Liz Kershaw is much lower profile than Lineker, but if they told Lineker to stop it that would apply to Kershaw too. She has a Brexiteer following that would go berserk!

Post edited at 11:58
Gone for good 17 Dec 2018

I read the argument as being he is a presenter, not a reporter therefore is entitled to air his private political opinion via his own media platforms.

The original complaint came from Jonathon Agnew, the BBC cricket correspondent. I have always felt that Agnew had a very highly over inflated opinion of himself and this has done nothing to shift that observation. Stick to Cricket Mr Agnew rather than moaning about your BBC colleagues on Twitter.

In reply to Mike Stretford:

Where was the article? Can you put a link in here?

Thx.

Gary Lineker said last night on SPOTY "Your vote will decide who wins"

In reply to Gone for good:

interestingly, Lineker probably answers the question I have asked in the OP himself with his response to Jonathan Agnew

"“Thank you so much for your concern, which, I imagine, wouldn’t be a concern at all if you agreed with me.”

Liz Kershaw didn't feature in that article at all, or was that just your own contribution?

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus: Yes that was mine, as I sometimes listen to her show.... just an example of how a stricter policy would swing both ways.

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus: Andrew Neil is rightly in that article.... he should be on thin ice but is getting away with it!

The New NickB 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

Agnew is part of News & Current Affairs, so is bound by the code, Lineker isn’t. Even though the Agnew contribution to the news is reading out cricket scores.

Unsurprisingly, Agnew’s good friend Geoffrey has been quite vocal in his criticism of remainers.

John Arlott and Brian Johnson were well known for expressing their completely opposed political view. Johnson was a vocal supporter of Apartheid South Africa and Arlott described them as a fascist state.

Post edited at 12:47
 krikoman 17 Dec 2018

> Andrew Neil is rightly in that article.... he should be on thin ice but is getting away with it!

Him, Kunesburg, and Nick whateve his name is, all seem to think it's OK to attack Corbyn

Duncan Bourne 17 Dec 2018

Who seriously gives a toss

summo 17 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Him, Kunesburg, and Nick whateve his name is, all seem to think it's OK to attack Corbyn

I agree, it does seem like bullying; when those people with strong attributes bully those with none, as they aren't capable of defending themselves, it's just no fair. 

If only there were political programmes on tv or radio, which had different politicians on every week etc.. Corbyn would have a chance of national media coverage defending himself.

In reply to Duncan Bourne:

You make a good point...but apparently it's a good news story...probably something to do with the fact he has 7 million followers so has quite a loud voice

felt 17 Dec 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> John Arlott and Brian Johnson were well known for expressing their completely opposed political view. Johnson was a vocal supporter of Apartheid South Africa and Arlott described them as a fascist state.

As I remember it, wasn't it more a case of Johnston being a vocal supporter of tours to South Africa during the apartheid era?

Mike Highbury 17 Dec 2018
In reply to felt:

> As I remember it, wasn't it more a case of Johnston being a vocal supporter of tours to South Africa during the apartheid era?

Was Tony Lewis the supporter or had some business interests there?

felt 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Sorry, I don't know. But I do recall that, along with Denis Healey's, Tony Lewis's eyebrows made a great impression on me as a boy. Not literally, of course.

krikoman 17 Dec 2018
In reply to summo:

> I agree, it does seem like bullying; when those people with strong attributes bully those with none, as they aren't capable of defending themselves, it's just no fair. 

> If only there were political programmes on tv or radio, which had different politicians on every week etc.. Corbyn would have a chance of national media coverage defending himself.

Still, it's OK to break the rules, because you can't get what you want, eh?

And there's no great furore when they do, or even any consequences.

summo 17 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Still, it's OK to break the rules, because you can't get what you want, eh?

> And there's no great furore when they do, or even any consequences.

What rules?

Most r4 comedy programmes entire material is based on take the piss out of the Tories. 

Edit. If Corbyn was actual PM material he'd be capable of fighting his own corner. If ever there was a time when even a mildly talented MP could stand out from the crowd it is now. The field has never been so weak. 

Post edited at 19:38
 john arran 17 Dec 2018
In reply to summo:

I very rarely really agree with anything you post on here, but when it comes to the leadership talents of JC (as opposed to his apparent intent, which as far as I can tell is largely laudable), then I'm right with you!

Bobling 17 Dec 2018
In reply to summo:

Sort of...Dead Ringers has been savaging Corbyn for the last couple of weeks!

FactorXXX 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Bobling:

> Sort of...Dead Ringers has been savaging Corbyn for the last couple of weeks!

No one else?
Not May as well?

Bobling 17 Dec 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes, May as well, perhaps more so, but it is not entirely one-sided!

summo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Bobling:

> Yes, May as well, perhaps more so, but it is not entirely one-sided!

Brexit bulldog, mogg, Boris....

Yes, Diane Abbott does feature occasionally but it is far from excessive. 

Post edited at 05:39
 FactorXXX 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Bobling:

> Yes, May as well, perhaps more so, but it is not entirely one-sided!

So it's not as krikoman suggests then i.e. the BBC and other media are 'picking' on Corbyn?

Fredt 18 Dec 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

Strikes me that both Tory and Labour supporters are justified in being critical of Corbyn, so there is no point in trying to ensure balance on that  issue.

krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to summo:

> What rules?

The impartiality rules of its news reporters, I'm not talking about Dead Ringers or any other comedy show, I'm talking about the rules for it's news and current affair staff.

krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Fredt:

> Strikes me that both Tory and Labour supporters are justified in being critical of Corbyn, so there is no point in trying to ensure balance on that  issue.

The whole balance thing it absolute bollocks anyhow, you have a bloke saying the earth is round, so you have to counter balance that with some flat earth lunatic?

This is how Farage got so much air time for a piddling little party, it's a crazy system.

summo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> The impartiality rules of its news reporters, I'm not talking about Dead Ringers or any other comedy show, I'm talking about the rules for it's news and current affair staff.

I suspect you only hear the bits you want. I've always thought that AQ and QT were more far left leaning and gave their participants an easier time. But that I imagine is my own bias. 

summo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> The impartiality rules of its news reporters, I'm not talking about Dead Ringers or any other comedy show, I'm talking about the rules for it's news and current affair staff.

Perhaps Corbyn needs to discover main stream national media and engage with the public. Explain his stance on various topics, have his views challenged and see if they can cope with some scrutiny? After all he is 'leader' of the opposition and aspirant prime minister.

If not. The media will keep putting words in his mouth for him.

fred99 18 Dec 2018

One of the major problems with Brexit and the BBC in the first place was that they gave equal time to both sides.

Now in theory this was (and always should be) the correct way for the BBC to act.

However it did mean that their investigative reporters were unable to expose the inordinate number of lies and half-truths that were being spouted.

Other outlets were able to be biased without any check.

fred99 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> Him, Kunesburg, and Nick whateve his name is, all seem to think it's OK to attack Corbyn

Kunesburg seems to be doing a good job on May right now. She'll have a go at whoever deserves it - and evidently shows NO political bias.

Robert Durran 18 Dec 2018
In reply to fred99:

> Kunesburg seems to be doing a good job on May right now. She'll have a go at whoever deserves it - and evidently shows NO political bias.

Yes. Overall, I think the BBC do a remarkably good job of impartiality, and, being fully accountable, will admit it when things aren't quite right.

Robert Durran 18 Dec 2018
In reply to fred99:

> One of the major problems with Brexit and the BBC in the first place was that they gave equal time to both sides.

This was highlighted over climate change when an inordinate amount of time was being given to a tiny and dwindling number of deniers. It was rightly addressed and I imagine that they are now more careful about time reflecting evidence and weight of support.

The New NickB 18 Dec 2018
In reply to fred99:

I think during the 2017 election, Kunesburg particularly struggled to differentiate the between the idea of Corbyn being a fairly irrelevant old lefty and a manifesto that was broadly mainstream social democracy.

I think there was bias, even if it wasn’t conscious. There are very few journalists not doing a job on May right now.

TobyA 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Bobling:

Dead Ringers seems rather fair in their dishing it out. Perhaps a comment on current times that there aren't many politicians who aren't worthy targets of satire, even if it's just that we know so and so is sensible but they are sticking unconvincingly to a bad party line.

Postmanpat 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> This is how Farage got so much air time for a piddling little party, it's a crazy system.

>

Yere, right, because nobody else thought the UK should leave the EU......

Post edited at 11:42
 krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Yere, right, because nobody else thought the UK should leave the EU......

I wasn't alluding to leaving the EU, but more about UKIP in the last election, the amount of air-time Farrage and UKIP was massively disproportionate to seats in the house, especially when compared to the Greens and the LibDems.

summo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> I wasn't alluding to leaving the EU, but more about UKIP in the last election, the amount of air-time Farrage and UKIP was massively disproportionate to seats in the house, especially when compared to the Greens and the LibDems.

What about relative to the number of voters?

Plus Corbyn can increase his coverage, just by moving away from preaching to the converted in local halls and engage with national media. 

krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to summo:

> What about relative to the number of voters?

We don't take that into account do we? It's all about bums on seats, unfortunately.

summo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> We don't take that into account do we? It's all about bums on seats, unfortunately.

We? You mean your own personal measure of how badly you think Corbyn is treated in the press? The problem is not how they treat him, it's his complete lack of willingness to be the leader of the opposition, to challenge the Tories, to take his message personally out nationally and not send his side kicks etc.. 

earlsdonwhu 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes...the fact that Nigel Lawson got airtime was a scandal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...