Free Climber Scales The Shard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 08 Jul 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48907277

I mean I knew there's quite a lot of aid routes on there, but it's the first time it's been freed right?

Yet more fuel on the "I thought free climbing meant without ropes" fire.  Just as Free Solo finally got the message through!

HakanT 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Social media seems to be most impressed by the fact that he had the energy to do it at five o'clock on a Monday morning. 

Does anyone have any details about the ascent?

TMM 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

I despise news reporting like this from any news agency but I always hope that the BBC might be better.

Due to absence of facts here are some utterly banal comments from ar$eholes on social media. WHO CARES what these ill informed idiots think. Just because they have a social media account does not make their comment worthy of merit or report.

Aaargh and now I am adding to the noise, commenting on these idiots making a noise! Modern life is pish.

James B 08 Jul 2019
In reply to HakanT:

According to the Guardian the ascent was made “without suction cups”. Amazing

In reply to James B:

> According to the Guardian the ascent was made “without suction cups”. Amazing

Can I buy them for grit ?

OP Iamgregp 08 Jul 2019
In reply to James B:

On this which brand of suction cups would you guys recommend?  I'm looking to replace my set which have lost suction after so much use...

James B 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Pedasuc(™️). Foot units operated by the toes. Enables 3 points of contact at all times

nniff 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

It's that 'scaling' again.  Tricky business, that.  'Climbing' on the other hand usually means 'walking', as in 'climbing Mt Snowdon'

OP Iamgregp 08 Jul 2019
In reply to nniff:

Is that walking with ropes or free walking though?

plyometrics 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Instagram account of the very daredevil himself...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzqDRqLBM9k/?igshid=19k07glby6hih

HakanT 08 Jul 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

If you don't want people to climb your building, you probably shouldn't have a step ladder running up the side of it...

Tigger 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

DMM have some in the pipe line, until then I'm affraid we're stuck with Metolious outdated offerings.

I hear from a reputable source the new DMM Dragon-Cups will come in sizes 1 - 10. So a full rack should be suitable for an evening travers of the green house or a full blow 'big wall' adventure on the Burj Khalifa.

Post edited at 17:38
 Wainers44 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Trust he used a bouldering mat, I hear there was a spare one lying around that he could have used? 

ianstevens 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

> Trust he used a bouldering mat, I hear there was a spare one lying around that he could have used? 

I heard he did it over 500 times

wintertree 08 Jul 2019
In reply to plyometrics:

> Instagram account of the very daredevil himself...

I was thirteen and on a school trip when I first laid eyes on The Shard.

Now I feel old.  When I was 13 docklands didn’t have any sky scrapers, let alone central London.

Timmd 08 Jul 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Realising that people born in circa 1998 are old enough to have children, join the police and 'be adults' makes me feel old. 

What the huh?

Post edited at 19:06
In reply to Tigger

“””””DMM Dragon-Cups will come in sizes 1 - 10. So a full rack should be ””””

I got a  rumble from rumour mill that. Wild country are going to come out with a range from AA up to FF 

DerwentDiluted 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

When asked if it was difficult, he replied;  'S'hard'

Pete Pozman 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm planning to take on the Three Peaks of Great Britain Challenge next week. Do you expert climbers recommend suction cups for the ascent of Mount Snowdon? 

Rob Parsons 08 Jul 2019
In reply to James B:

> According to the Guardian the ascent was made “without suction cups”. Amazing

Suction cups have been used for climbing buildings before - see e.g. https://www.newsweek.com/how-climb-building-suction-cups-stephen-rogata-492...  But the technique looks frightening to me.

By contrast, the Shard climb footage gives the impression that the ascent is an easy walk up a continuous non-vertical ladder. Is it really that easy all the way up?

Post edited at 20:38
pasbury 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Parsons:

So is this sensational event downgraded from ‘climber free solos shard without suction cups’ to ‘someone climbs very long ladder’?

Timmd 11 Jul 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> So is this sensational event downgraded from ‘climber free solos shard without suction cups’ to ‘someone climbs very long ladder’?

There's plausibly potential for it as a site to stage protests from, if it is.

Rob Parsons 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> There's plausibly potential for it as a site to stage protests from, if it is.

People from Greenpeace climbed it in 2013, with exactly that aim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...