Football

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

The footie starts tomorrow; later than ever, yet it hasn't been away that long.  So in order that I might look a right chump come springtime, or rather to ensure that I do, some predictions.  Feel free to add your own, shouted from a safe social distance.

Champions: much though it pains me to say it, Manchester City.  I've an inkling that the rest of the top four might read, in order, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United.  

The reasons are three.  This is going to be a full-on, no rest season, games twice a week pretty much every week for most of the top teams.  It will demand a decent-size squad of players who are at least good, preferably better.  City have this.  Then, because of the relentless nature of the fixture list, there will be injuries and this, I think, is what's going to cost Liverpool.  They have played vibrant, attacking football that's been a pleasure to watch for the last three seasons and they've done that with the same core group of players who have pretty much managed to stay free of serious injury.  The law of averages argues against that happening again and it'll only take a couple or three players to miss six or eight weeks of the season with injuries and I suspect things will start to go awry.  Finally, Chelsea have bought some very talented players.  I suspect it'll take them a month or so to tune into each other's wavelength and then, watch out.

This year's Leicester will be Everton.  They'll bother the top four places for a large part of the season but finish outside them.

Some teams are going to get marmalized.  I suspect we'll see the first double-figure score this season.

I suspect the first manager to go will be Roy Hodgson or Scott Parker but the biggest cheer will be when Jose Mourinho becomes a victim of his own self-importance.  Again.

Right, that's my crystal ball-gazing done.  What's your opinion?

Roadrunner6 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

It's open.

City, I don't think Ake is enough, they need a battler at the back too. A hard man. They also lack cover for Aguero.

Liverpool, class, can't see them being quite as dominant but still 80+ points.

Chelsea, much better. My issue would be a split in the dressing room as the kids get kicked to touch and still a poor indecisive keeper.

United, better, need a center back and ideally Sancho, should get 75+ points. 3rd/4th tbh. We need to be very good to get above City and Liverpool. Should have bought Ake, him and Maguire are made for each other. Nicely complement each other. But Lindelof is still young.

Spurs, I think will struggle again. Jose to go.

Arsenal, better, but can't see them getting above United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

I keep changing my mind between City and Liverpool, certainly closer than last year.

Everton, we'll see. A huge disappointment last season. 

Leicester, will struggle. I think Vardy's goals will dry up as he's getting older.

I think Wolves will do well again. Sheff United to struggle.. sorry blades..

Post edited at 17:41
 wbo2 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6: I think City to win.  Arsenal in the mix and end 5th.

Leeds 2 Liverpool 2.  

Given recent seasons Leeds had better get some early points as it's going to be messy after Christmas

Roadrunner6 11 Sep 2020
In reply to wbo2:

TBH I've not seen any championship football. I'd watch the highlights of derby games last year but that was about it.

Biesla is a good coach so it'll be interesting. Many promoted teams don't seem to struggle like they used to.

Being a Man Utd fan and mainly growing up in Sheffield we all had a mutual dislike of Leeds. 

Big Steve 11 Sep 2020

Predictions: The mighty Watford to bounce straight back up from the Championship

Liverpool for the title again, but can see Man UTD & Chelsea challenging for 2nd & 3rd spots.

Toss up between Moyes and Mourinho to be the first manager to get the sack this season

mick taylor 11 Sep 2020

Liverpool to win. They will be so keen that they might not give the champions league their full attention. Whereas Man City shud give it their full attention, but might not. 
Chelsea will do well. 
Leeds mid table. 
Fulham relegation. 
Brentford promotion.

Lots of lower league clubs to go belly up financially

wbo2 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6: Leeds have run out of steam a bit the last couple seasons so I think the higher pace of the PL will be a big ask after the Christmas, esp as Bielsa doesn't rotate much.  

but good to see them back and he's a bonus so good luck to them

Roadrunner6 13 Sep 2020
In reply to wbo2:

Did you watch Leeds?

Crazy game

Bacon Butty 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Leeds were great, beaten by an awesome Salah goal. (and the usual suspect penalty decisions 😄)

I'm going for top 8 for them this season.

Roadrunner6 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Bacon Butty:

Liverpool weren't good at the back, I dont think I've ever supported Leeds before. Silly penalty to give away but yeah they played well.

West Brom, Fulham and Brighton to go down I think. But I think Burnley may struggle this year.

earlsdonwhu 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

West Ham heading for an implosion and doomed I fear.

Roadrunner6 14 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

At times last year they looked good. This weekend was awful.

Tony the Blade 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Sheff United to struggle.. sorry blades..

You have no idea what you're talking about!

Have a dislike

Edit: Wolves have just taken the lead against us FFS

Post edited at 18:06
 earlsdonwhu 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

The best we played was probably in losing away at Liverpool. Weak full backs, a lack of pace in midfield and lack of clarity over the style we aspire to play.  Oh and don't forget the sale of decent youngsters and the imminent departure of Rice to Chelsea!

Gone for good 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> You have no idea what you're talking about!

> Have a dislike

> Edit: Wolves have just taken the lead against us FFS

We've taken 2 leads 😀

Roadrunner6 14 Sep 2020
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Yeah Rice will be a big loss, Chelsea are building a good team but feel for the Chelsea kids. I think they'll take time to bed in though.

I like Wolves.

Post edited at 19:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...