Foodies lock down tips and banter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 18 Mar 2020

We've begun isolating, but I realised that I was short on garlic which I mentioned to a friend. Why not forage some ramsons he replied? So this afternoon mini Weasel and I have collected a good bag full which I have sweated down in virgin rapeseed oil is now frozen in several batches with another in the fridge . The house smells great and looking forward to cooking with some!

How's everyone else's lock down gastronomy going? 

Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Another surefire foraging tip at the moment is hogweed shoots. Delicious fried in a little butter or mixed with creme fraiche and stuffed under the skin of a roast chicken.

Lemony 18 Mar 2020

I'm restricted to the hairy bittercress crowing in the cracks in the back yard at the moment though.

Rigid Raider 18 Mar 2020

A couple of days ago I had a ferret in the food cupboard (more because we couldn't be bothered to cook anything than out of store stress) and found a half tin of baked beans that expired in 2017. I haven't dared eat baked beans for years as the more senior gut doesn't seem to be able to process carbs without agonising bloating followed by devastating wind, so we had an air freshener ready and the window latched open but almost disappointingly, nothing happened at all. Maybe my gut flora has changed because I haven't travelled to Africa much in the last couple of years. The only conclusion of any interest was that in 2016 baked beans contained more sugar.

The New NickB 18 Mar 2020

I'm a shop every day, kind of person and whilst I'm not in self isolation, I want to reduce that significantly. I have been going through recipes compiling lists for favourite recipes, so I have a weekly store cupboard check list and a list of fresh ingredients for a weeks worth of great meals. I'm sure lots of people do this, but I have never really got around to it.

Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> A couple of days ago I had a ferret in the food cupboard

That's a bit beyond foraging to be fair.

nikoid 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Was that supposed to sound rude? It reminded me of Finnbar Saunders from Viz.

Post edited at 16:44
 Bob Kemp 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

I was just thinking it was a funny place to keep it...

marsbar 18 Mar 2020

Something out of an old last of the summer wine episode...

wintertree 18 Mar 2020

Nothing beats triple fried homemade mixed veg chips, but respect the hot fat. Respect It!

OP Baron Weasel 18 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Sounds good! I'll be round when this all blows over...

Daal with ramson paste is ready and smelling awesome, just need to dry fry chapattis now.

Mrs Weasel went into her travelling in India mode when we first heard about the possibility of having to lock down and bought several kilos of lentils and chapatti flour. Her top tip is if you run out of fresh foods and salad then start sprouting beans for abundant long life salad. 

wercat 18 Mar 2020

Vikings (singing elaborately): Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!

Flinticus 18 Mar 2020

Almonds.

Wizz with sesame oil or groundnut into paste/ butter. Great on toast with ribbons of courgette.

krikoman 18 Mar 2020

What did it taste like, chicken?

mick taylor 19 Mar 2020

You kidnapping Barrons cousin?

Post edited at 08:28
mick taylor 19 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Stoatally delicious !

mick taylor 19 Mar 2020

Having completed my booze inventory I decided not to risk running out, so dug out the elderflower juice that I froze last season and now got three gallons of elderflower sparkley on the go.  I also bought some Lidl gin to finish off the sloes and bullace and damsons foraged last autumn and lurking in the bottom of the freezer.

Dandelions starting to show, so will soon pick a load and will get a batch of my dandelion sherry on the go.

Anyone collected birch sap?

HB1 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> I'm restricted to the hairy bittercress crowing in the cracks . . .

. . . is this a mutating corvid evolving as a consequence of the present crisis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...