Foodbanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Like every normal person, I deeply regret that foodbanks are necessary to support some families in this day and age.  In all the supermarkets I go to, the foodbank deposit point and list of wanted items is on the way out of the store so that by the time I've got my shopping, paid for it and packed it, like every normal person I'm on my way back to the car when I see the list of what's wanted and think, 'Shame that some folk have to use foodbanks, but I'm blowed if I'm going back to get anything now'.

So on my way out of Sainsburys in Midsomer Norton, I suggested that the list of wanted items is also displayed on the way into the shop.  Then I might see it and get a few things to leave in the deposit box on my way out.  Seems so obvious, doesn't it?

Feel free to pinch the idea and share it with your local supermarket, it isn't rocket science and it might just help those who need it.  And if some places do this already, terrific; surely I can't be the first person to think of this? 

T.

subtle 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Perhaps you write a letter about it to Viz, its the sort of thing they like to publish.

Removed User 20 Aug 2019

Sounds like a good idea.

I go to one particular supermarket more or less once a week, generally a Monday. The fact that it's an occasion of sorts helps me to remember to get a few bits and pieces. I generally look for special offers so what I give varies from week to week.

I agree with your sentiment that I hate living in a rich society where a significant proportion of the population have to rely on charity to make ends meet.

Oceanrower 20 Aug 2019

At mine, Sainsbury's Burpham, its very prominent on the way in.

In reply to Oceanrower:

Excellent, I hope the food bank gets gets well stocked.  Maybe it's just round here that they aren't so prominent, then?

T.

Philip 20 Aug 2019

I don't use supermarkets, but do get deliveries from Ocado. You can donate multiples of £2.50/5/10 and they double it and provide that amount of groceries to food charities - the charities order the food they need.

That way, the charity gets what it needs not whatever you don't and I'm not just boosting Tesco/etc profit by buying more of their food.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...