Flying to Geneva and entering France, Covid?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2022

I'm sure this has been asked and i have looked online but end up down a rabbit hole with it all. I have a work trip to France and Geneva is the most convenient airport within a hire car journey of the French location, i know Switzerland have no entry requirements but are France checking at the road borders, seems like they may still require proof of vaccination or PLF ?

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I flew to Geneva airport on Saturday 23rd of April, transiting into nearby France by car. The passport control at GVA didn't even check my vaccination status or ask about it. The french border at Ferney-Voltaire was completely empty and it didn't look like any cars were being stopped. Most borders around here are like that. 

The euPLF doesn't allow you to complete the form if you're arriving to France by car, which technically you will be. Bring your vaccination records (the travel QR code provided by the NHS website) and you should have no issues. The attitude has relaxed significantly in the last 6 months, especially in the frontalier areas. 

Post edited at 11:27
OP Dark-Cloud 25 Apr 2022
In reply to stefangutnickallen:

Cheers, i was in Switzerland a few weeks back and it felt pretty normal. It's a while since i have driven to France from Switzerland and last time it was just a wave through at the border. I have the NHS App so should be good.

montyjohn 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

If flying to Switzerland I believe the only checks will be when you land. I don't have first hand experience, but I'm flying to Geneva in July to get to Chamonix and this is what my research has told me.

Andrew Lodge 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

As above I've driven into France from Geneva recently and nobody asked for anything.

Technically you should have the French sworn declaration but I can almost guarantee nobody will ask for it. Costs nothing though so possibly worth doing anyway.

CathS 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Many tens of thousands of skiers have travelled to France via Geneva over the last 3 months, and I haven't heard of anyone being stopped and checked for Covid paperwork at the French border crossing, even when it was still a requirement to have a vaccine certificate and negative test result.   As Switzerland and France are both in Schengen, the border control checks are completed when you enter Switzerland.   The checkpoint at the French border is just for customs controls.

I travelled via Geneva last week, and there were no checks of vaccine certificate on entry to Switzerland either.  I'm pretty sure all the restrictions have been lifted now, other than still needing to wear masks on public transport.

CathS 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

You've probably already looked this up, but this site sets out the current requirements on entry.  The UK and Switzerland are both on the Green list:

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/covid-19-international-travel

You still need to present a vaccination certificate, or if you don't have that, a negative Covid test certificate.   You can get a fit to travel antigen test with a travel certificate done for around £15-30, so if you are at all concerned it's not a massive deal to sort out.   If you've been fully vaccinated, it takes about 5 minutes to generate a vaccine certificate for travel from the NHS app.

The sworn declaration isn't needed anymore.

As I said before though, it's highly unlikely you'll be checked when entering France by road.

However, you do still need to be fully vaccinated to enter Switzerland.  I understand this requirement will be dropped from 2nd May.  This Swiss Govt website is the primary source of information on the current rules https://www.eda.admin.ch/countries/united-kingdom/en/home/representations/e...

The UK Govt FCO travel advice site is absolutely useless, and very confusing, so don't bother with that.

Post edited at 22:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...