First world problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 French Erick 15 Dec 2018

Seemingly similar general unease about wealth redistribution in our capitalist democracy leads to varying cultural responses:

1) US- people like to show success and seem brash to the rest of the world= election of a bigoted egomaniac (in your face).

2) UK- people don't shout and usually keep what they think to themselves=  referendums and associated not so unexpected  shock results (passive aggressive).

3) Hungary- people can remember Tyrant in almost living memory= turn to the "better the devil you know" and democratically choose to let the country slide back far right (taciturn grimness).

4) France- people are forever disgruntled and are vocal about it= another bout of street marching and rioting (garlicky hot air).

I am sure there are some more examples I am not aware of...that is if my theory has validity. We (the first world) see our way of life, gained over the past 7 decades, threatened by various factors and do not know how to deal with it.

Would you agree? Can you add examples from the past decade to add weight to this theory (well I did not make it all up surely)?

What's your thoughts?

alx 15 Dec 2018
In reply to French Erick:

Tired of Ed Sheehan people return to listening to electronic dance music before tiring of the repetition and moving on to angry rock.

Mike-W-99 15 Dec 2018

Waitrose had run out of butternut squash.

JLS 15 Dec 2018

>”What's your thoughts?”

The world has always been a bit mental. Globalisation has taken mental to a new level.

aln 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike-W-99:

As long as they still have pine nuts we'll survive .

Dax H 16 Dec 2018

To me first world problems are more like the outrage when KFC ran out of chicken. O2 going off line for a bit. Minor inconveniences that are apparently the end of the world for some people. 

mike123 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Dax H: after spending too long reading the latest brexit post I just misread  this as :

> To me first world problems are more like the outrage when KFC ran out of children 

time to finish my coffee and get on with stuff I think

MG 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Dax H:

I think French Erik was using a play on words, in his OP. I don't think he's quite right, but an interesting point. 

OP French Erick 16 Dec 2018
In reply to MG:

It was indeed a play on words, second degree.

So your thinking is that I am mistaken on?

1)the fact that Western democracies each react in their own cultural ways

2)that there is a similar generalised unease

3)that none of my examples are even remotely linked

Genuine question, I don't feel on the defensive. 

To the other, great examples of "first world problems"... the one about KFC was news to me, I am fortunate enough to having never entered one!

MG 16 Dec 2018

Sorry on phone so cant expand. I don't think its as simple as as culture>type of reaction. Sure it plays a (large?) part but there are other major factors too.

(I am a KFC virgin too) 

Post edited at 19:20
 elliott92 16 Dec 2018

I drove for 10 minutes, spent 8 minutes parking, nudged the car behind trying to park and got shouted at, qued for 12 minutes, got told they didn't have any chicken. I spent 6 minutes trying to get back out the parking space, got collared behind an old granny driver and spent 18 minutes getting home. 54 minutes, hungover, still hungry. If that isn't an outrage then I don't know what is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...