File Recovery help please...Formatted card :-(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 14 Sep 2019

Had a fun day making Timelapses. And then made a schoolboy error.

I formatted my micro SD card before downloading the footage. I'm on holiday at the moment with my 10 year old laptop which is using Linux Mint 17. I only know how to do the basics like install stuff from the synaptic package manager and surf the web.

Please, please, please can anybody help me recover my lost files?

Mr Lopez 14 Sep 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

I've used easeus successfully to recover the contents of a formatted sd card a few weeks ago

Othersoftware may do the same equally well. Just make sure you don't use that card at all until you can retrieve the data, as any writing on it will overwrite over the stuff that is in there though invisible

Post edited at 20:56
OP The Lemming 14 Sep 2019
In reply to Mr Lopez:

A bit og googling and I found Testdisk. I then had to do some Terminal voodoo. So far files are being recovered. Just hope I find the files I want.

Cheers

duchessofmalfi 14 Sep 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

Yep Photorec / testdisk is really impressive.

If you think you've deleted something, anything, on your computer think again. As long as you haven't actually written data over the old files it will recover them. 

If data recovery is your aim then simply pull the card out of the computer, get photorec/testdisk and follow the instructions.

If your aim is permanently deleting data then this is the benchmark product you have to beat to be assured it is really gone...

In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I now have a new problem. Some of the files I recovered, I do not need but for some reason I can not delete any of them. I do not have permission.

Any ideas how I can delete these files to reccover storage space?

Cheers

wintertree 14 Sep 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

> Any ideas how I can delete these files to reccover storage space?

You could format the disk?

Or google the “sudo” command and then “sudo rm badfilewontdieembarrasingnudeselfie.raw” etc.

duchessofmalfi 14 Sep 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

The normal way to do this is to recover the files to somewhere else - your computer for instance.  Once you have done this and check everything you want is there then you can wipe the SDcard (reformat it whatever) and then you can put back the files you want.

Testdisk etc will try to prevent the computer from writing anything to the original card because this risks damaging the filesystem it is recovering- it may have marked the card read-only or remounted the card read only.

Copy your data to a safe place, but before you do make sure the files are what you think they are - not just files with the correct names - eg check the photos do actually contain images.  Check the files with odd names aren't something you want to keep (but with the filename bollocksed up).

It's generally a good idea to be sure you have everything you want before you clear than restore the card and keep this copy for a while after you put the data back just in case you forgot something.

Good luck!

Post edited at 23:01
In reply to The Lemming:

> I now have a new problem. Some of the files I recovered, I do not need but for some reason I can not delete any of them. I do not have permission.

Solved it. Right click, and open as Root. Then happy days to delete stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...