Fifth force

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 08 Apr 2021

This is potentially quite exciting for anyone puzzled by the gulf between our 'standard model' and the universe's apparent behaviour on large scale:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science_and_environment

Offwidth 08 Apr 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Very exciting. The correct link, so the story isn't lost as new articles arrive on that page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56643677

In the spirit of magical realism, this might just be a consequence of a populist social breakdown of what constitutes scientific truth!?

lorentz 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

So is this the force that the Jedi use?

It is exciting news though. I studied Cosmos and Philosophical Traditions as part of my degree (no maths or physics involved... Just the theory) and stuff like this I still find fascinating. Wonder if the 5th force will offer explanation for the dark matter conundrum in some way?

Post edited at 09:13
 Lankyman 08 Apr 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> This is potentially quite exciting for anyone puzzled by the gulf between our 'standard model' and the universe's apparent behaviour on large scale:

Perhaps we are one step closer to understanding how cats always know when a packet of butter has been opened?

Offwidth 08 Apr 2021
In reply to lorentz:

"So is this the force that the Jedi use?"

You are proving my point... mu-on, nothing to see here but physics.

Post edited at 09:54
 lorentz 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Very good. Physicists you say? You're all a bunch of Quarks aren't you? 😁

scratcher 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Perhaps we are one step closer to understanding how cats always know when a packet of butter has been opened?

Lol.

New fundamental forces are nothing new. I've been studying the properties of a powerful new force at my in-house laboratory over the past year. It manifests as an irresistible attraction between myself and the kitchen cupboard containing the crisps and chocolate biscuits. 100 times more powerful than a gluon and therefore called a glu-ton. Quite an exciting discovery as it explains why some bodies acquire previously unobserved mass.

When do I get the Nobel Prize?

Rob Parsons 08 Apr 2021
In reply to lorentz:

> ... I studied Cosmos and Philosophical Traditions as part of my degree (no maths or physics involved... Just the theory) ...

The maths is the theory; there's nothing else.

What exactly did you study? (Serious question.)

Robert Durran 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> The maths is the theory; there's nothing else

Just ended up watching this:  youtube.com/watch?v=obCjODeoLVw&

lorentz 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> What exactly did you study (serious question.)

To quote Jack Nicholson in Chinatown (also on my syllabus) "As little as possible." Infiltrator from the faculty of Arts, my friend. Nothing you need to worry about. Won't be after any of your funding. 😉 

Post edited at 20:40
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Leon Lederman: "Physicists defer only to the mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God, although you may be hard-pressed to find a mathematician that modest."

Post edited at 21:04
 Offwidth 09 Apr 2021
In reply to martinturnchapel:

Cheers... first time I'd seen that quote.

lorentz 09 Apr 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

This is quite a good read (for a layman like me) describing the journey taken over the last two decades in research into the often repeated discrepancy in Muon wobble. 

https://www.quantamagazine.org/muon-g-2-experiment-at-fermilab-finds-hint-o...

Offwidth 09 Apr 2021
In reply to lorentz:

As a physics trained person I should offer something in return

There may be a brand new fifth force

A big shock to physics of course

A small muon wobble

Much theory will cobble

Yet excitement will outweigh remorse.

Post edited at 13:42
 Michael Hood 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Perhaps we are one step closer to understanding how cats always know when a packet of butter has been opened?

One of our cats can detect tuna tins being opened when he's happily outside (no open doors or windows) - it's uncanny.

Just thought, maybe all cats are Jedi.

Post edited at 15:12
 Philip 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> One of our cats can detect tuna tins being opened when he's happily outside (no open doors or windows) - it's uncanny.

> Just thought, maybe all cats are Jedi.

Not all cats. Schrodinger's cat struggled to tell if the can was open or not?

lorentz 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Excellent. All I can offer in return is a poor pun as someone who has again recently lepton the physics bandwagon.

Offwidth 09 Apr 2021
In reply to lorentz:

Shame cobble appeared from my clumsy typing, when I meant nobble. I find it strange more people don't like physics, even though I know thumbs can be up and down on subjects;  it charms me from top to bottom.

OP GrahamD 10 Apr 2021
In reply to lorentz:

Thanks for that.  There was a good episode of PBS Spacetime came up on this.  One of my favourite YouTube channels for incomprehensible physics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...