Feels like house arrest!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 18 Nov 2020

After 10 months of working on Covid 19 wards in a hospital, it's not me but my wife that has tested positive. We are now under, what feels like, 14 days house arrest.

So I've painted a cross on the front door and bricked my wife into the spare room, with a small gap for food and drink. The NHS , for who I work, called me. If I find it hard to self isolate, they told me, they can "pass my name onto other agencies who can help me", sounds both helpful and threatening at the same time!

It's an odd thing to think that just stepping out of the door is now illegal!

In reality, my wife is doing ok, and we have a nice home and enough supplies, but this year keeps on getting weirder!

Andypeak 18 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I'm in a similar situation. A few colleagues have gone down with it at work and now the whole team bar one person has been told to isolate at home. I'm on day 2 and I am bored as can be. 

If your wife is positive it seems inevitable that you will catch it, I'd let her out of the spare room and give her a big kiss if I were you. A friend of mine who isolated for 14 days because her partner got it and they tried to keep apart. She then caught it on the 14th day and had to do a further 10. 

Jenny C 18 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

If I'm ill I will probably lose my appetite, but if we are both healthy and overdue a big shop things could get nasty. Yes we have friends, but none who live local so I'm now thinking that maybe it's time to do a bit of panic buying and stocking up on cupboards and freezer with enough essentials to get us through a 14 day quarantine period.

On the other hand, it could force me to use up the unlabeled mystery items from the back of the freezer and get rid of all the open packets of "stuff" in the cupboard - if I don't catch covid, let's try for food poisoning instead.

Kevster 18 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I had it, used the house as normal, Mrs had a test a few days later, came back negative. 

She's had no symptoms what so ever, neither has nipper. Tbh, my symptoms were very mild too.

It's hard all being in the same small space, both trying to work whilst nipper causes chaos. 

Just come to the end of the quarantine.  I feel your pain in the house arrest, take a little time to contemplate those who have covid badly, those who die and those who pass it on to loved ones and friends who then go on to have it badly. 

Things could be worse. It is only 2 weeks.

On the plus side, my mrs is NHS too, at least she knows she is unlikely to bring it home and give us covid badly, so can relax a little. Especially as covid patients are starting to trickle into her workplace. 

Have you been harassed by track and trace on a daily basis?

Hope you all stay safe.

Dave the Rave 18 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Just done it, albeit 10 days but really seven as they count from date of test. Coped ok.

As an NHS worker too, it’s probably the first real rest I’ve had all year and luckily had no real symptoms.

Enjoy it. It was strange handing the dog over for a walk though and she’s only just forgiven me.

Cobra_Head 20 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

A woman at work has just tested positive, in one of the contractors offices, they don't know if they need to self isolate or carry on as normal, it's so stupid people are trying to pretend they're OK.

Hutson 20 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

My dad's wife has tested positive (cold symptoms) so he had a test but tested negative. He firmly maintains this is because he's had his flu jab. I've given up trying to correct him on this.

Hope the time passes quickly for you, I'd imagine it's tough.

OP bleddynmawr 20 Nov 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Thanks all, my wife is having a bit of a bad day today, but we are forever touched by the kindness of others.

SiobhanStraver 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

> If your wife is positive it seems inevitable that you will catch it, I'd let her out of the spare room and give her a big kiss if I were you. <

I don't mean this personally, but that is bad advice. In our house of five three of us got it, and the other two did not. The only reason it spread to three of five is because we were still mixing before I went for a test.

Granted avoiding everyone getting it involved the use of masks whenever leaving our rooms, not being in the same room as the healthy family members, carrying antibac everywhere and wiping down everything we ever touched, but it is possible. Getting covid was hellish- I definitely recommend avoiding getting it if you can.

OP, good luck to you and your wife on the quarantine, stocking up might not be such a bad idea. I hope you stay well and your wife makes a swift recovery- I found the fatigue really hard and kept thinking I should get back to working when in reality that was ridiculous, so I hope she is able to give herself plenty of time to feel better and not feel rushed back into real life. Good luck to you both!

gethin_allen 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

> If your wife is positive it seems inevitable that you will catch it, I'd let her out of the spare room and give her a big kiss if I were you. A friend of mine who isolated for 14 days because her partner got it and they tried to keep apart. She then caught it on the 14th day and had to do a further 10. 

It's not inevitable at all, I had it and my GF who I live withavoided it (proven by PCR and antibody testing)

You also don't know the risk profile of Bleddyn? he could be old/over weight/have underlying or undiagnosed medical issues.

I really wouldn't give advice like this without very detailed background knowledge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...