Feeling flush?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Go into Amazon, then through sports and outdoors, bags and packs until you end up at Hiking backpacks.  Sort the results so that it shows them ranked from most to least expensive.

Then consider: what would you expect from a rucksack that cost as much as the highest priced one on offer?

T.

Dark-Cloud 23 Apr 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Ha ha, the one that’s £23k ?

Hmmm, I don’t like the colour!

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Plus £1.50 delivery - what a p155 take

Ceiriog Chris 23 Apr 2019

I remember when a bloke from work bought his Mrs a handbag from a shop in Houston for 8K , I had no idea at the time you could spend so much on one, apparently he rang her and told her what it was exactly and she said " well it' not the one I wanted, but it will do" 

Dark-Cloud 23 Apr 2019

I suspect this is a Chinese seller getting his currency exchange rate slightly wrong!

dread-i 24 Apr 2019

There is a method of money laundering using Amazon. There are a lot of self published authors who charge huuge sums for a downloadable pdf. I believe that some terrorist groups have use similar tactics with ebay, when doing money transfers to their operatives. Or, it could be that they've missed a decimal place or three by accident.

stubbed 24 Apr 2019

I think some sellers are charged if they cancel a sale, so once it is not available they just alter the price to something unreasonable to avoid it.

John Cornish 24 Apr 2019

Probably a algorithmic pricing fail.

Seller One sets pricing algorithm to be update pricing every morning to be slightly higher than Seller Two (say 1.10 X Seller 2 Price)

Seller Two sets algorithm to update price every evening to be slightly lower than Seller 1 (say 0.95 X Seller 1 price)

So if both start their prices at £1, after the first morning SellerOne has updated the price to £1.10, then in the first evening SellerTwo has updated to a price of £1.05,

At the end of the second day SellerOne will be at £1.15, SellerTwo will be at £1.09.
If that continues in 30 days they'll be at £4.12 and £3.91.
In 300 days they'll be at £571693 and £543109

https://www.wired.com/2011/04/amazon-flies-24-million/

Post edited at 11:38
 tehmarks 24 Apr 2019

Suddenly makes the Tupilak seem reasonably-priced.

Post edited at 11:56
88Dan 24 Apr 2019

You could get a simond one from decathlon for £40

LastBoyScout 24 Apr 2019

I have heard that some sellers do this if the product is not actually available so it keeps coming up in searches, even if set to "in stock only", but no-one is actually going to buy it - once back in stock, the price will drop.

It's also potentially free advertising, as someone will say "ooh, I like that, but I'm not paying that" and then look elsewhere to get it at a "proper" price.

Philip 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

The pink is available at no extra cost to Prime and is £288 cheaper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...