Fecal recognition technology

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HakanT 09 Sep 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

I was hoping you had found a good bullsh1t detector. Mine broke due to overload at some point in 2016.

In reply to HakanT:

> I was hoping you had found a good bullsh1t detector. Mine broke due to overload at some point in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit_Detector

The best I can find at short notice 

:-D

deepsoup 09 Sep 2019

I went to a talk about otters last year, and the speaker had very thoughtfully brought along a lot of little tupperware boxes of spraint (aka otter poo) for everyone to have a sniff.

cb294 09 Sep 2019

A couple of years ago I found Black Grouse droppings in a climbing area where there were thought to be absent/extinct. Sent a photo to the National Park office, crag now closed at certain times of year, but it was a crap choss pile anyway. Never seen the birds there, unfortunately.

If you are hiking in the North or Eastern Europe, recognizing bear shit is also a useful skill.

CB

HakanT 09 Sep 2019

Nice. Looks like the sort of rage we could do with right now.

birdie num num 09 Sep 2019

Mine are just brown and sloppy 

Tringa 10 Sep 2019

Always interesting to try to identify poo, and pellets too.

Dave

In reply to birdie num num:

> Mine are just brown and sloppy 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale

Type 7 perhaps ?

aln 10 Sep 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

I read the other day that it smells like Jasmine tea. Can you confirm this?

deepsoup 10 Sep 2019
In reply to aln:

I would have to go out and buy some jasmine tea to be sure, but it's possible.  It's not unpleasant really, but even so it's definitely poo.

cb294 10 Sep 2019
In reply to aln:

Not in my experience. It smells mainly of fish, but not quite, maybe a little salty or tangy. Easily identified because of the fish scales that can make it look as if someone tried to roll a turd in glitter, and because it will always be on top of a rock or tree stump, as otters, like all mustelids, use their faeces for territorial marking.

Thus, the martens that live next to my house always choose to shit precisely onto the stubby antenna on the roof of my car. I don't eve bother removing it any more other than by driving. I guess that my weekly commuting long distance,  with the car otherwise parked in prime marten territory at either end, drives them into a marking frenzy...

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...