Favourite Beer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 18 Nov 2020

A combination of commenting on the quality of Robinsons various offerings on the Vaynol thread and missing going to the pub, got me thinking about favourite beers.

Whilst supermarket beer selection is pretty good these days, a lot of my favourites aren't available and generally bottle conditioned just isn't the same.

A few of my favourites:

Pictish Mosaic - Brewed very locally to me and generally available in a few local pubs, this is my idea of a great session ale, even at 4.3%. Golden, subtle with the hops and just a hint of berry flavours.

Ginger Marble - Again, not brewed too far away and always worth a trip to the Marble Arch or their place in the Northern Quarter. Pretty mellow with a distinct ginger taste.

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA - An American style IPA, which often isn't my thing, but the hops are nicely balanced against citrus flavours. 5.9% so definitely not a session beer, but great in small volumes, especially with a curry.

Bradfield Farmers Belgian Blue - A winter ale, again something that isn't always my thing, but I love this stuff.

Axel Smeets 18 Nov 2020
In reply to The New NickB:

Any DIPA by Deya. 

Verdant tend to do some lovely IPAs around the 6% mark. 

Cloudwater pretty consistent in their offerings. 

Yakima Valley by Arbor a good old school strong IPA. 

Red Rover 18 Nov 2020

I'll have to try some of those. My favourites are Black Sheep Best Bitter, Timothy Taylors Landlord and Salopian Oracle. 

Ridge 18 Nov 2020

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA is usually available in Morrisons (and very nice it is too).

mattmurphy 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Jaipur is excellent. I highly recommended.

If anyone is based in the Northeast there’s a brewery called Hill Island Brewery which makes something called “Neptune’s Gold”. It’s by far the tastiest thing I’ve ever drank.

Edit: but nothing beats a pint of black sheep after a days climbing at slipstones.

Post edited at 14:33
 Iamgregp 18 Nov 2020

Along with all the usual suspects I also really like these: 

Camden Off Menu IPA (also up there at 5.8 mind...)

Sierra Nevada IPA

Pacifico (Mexican Pilsner)

Warsteiner (German Pilsner)

Carib (Trinidadian lager)

Though I love variety and tasting new beers (even if it's just "holiday" lager!), these are some of the less usual ones I'm into.

OP The New NickB 18 Nov 2020

I suppose I should really have put this thread  in The Pub, rather than Off Belay.

Offwidth 18 Nov 2020

I wish you specified cask beer as the fizzy beer brigade have invaded this thread with their bottles and cans. Well kept Landlord still is my favourite but once it was the highest peak for me in tens of other peaks above a plain of mediocracy; these days it's a high point on a high plateau with a few lower plains below. There are pints of hundreds of different beers I have drunk that are almost as good.

Off belay is the right place. Too much good stuff in the pub these days ends up lost to posterity.

Post edited at 15:05
 Tom Valentine 18 Nov 2020

I prefer Farmers Blonde, probably my absolute favourite, though I have a couple brewed within spitting distance of home which are both worth a shout: Acorn Yorkshire Pride and Geeves Clear Cut.

Too many to choose from but right now, given the lack of pubs I'd say PunkIPA and from he same stable, Hazy Jane. Jaipur, Gamma Ray and Lupoloid, the latter which makes me fall over. My lical waitrose has a decent selection of other more less known option over the above.

abr1966 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

> I wish you specified cask beer as the fizzy beer brigade have invaded this thread with their bottles and cans. Well kept Landlord still is my favourite 

+1 a well kept TT Landlord at just the right temperature is still an all time classic....!!

In reply to Offwidth:

I have a strong bias towards cask, but there are some interesting keg beers around, I'm happy to be inclusive in this case.

I've never really taken to Landlord, I'll drink it, but will usually drink something else in preference.

Red Rover 18 Nov 2020

I think the quality of Landlord depends a lot on how it is kept and looked after. When it'd done right it's wonderful.

Route Adjuster 18 Nov 2020

Good thread, thinking purely of public house offerings rather than cans or bottles, the below spring to mind, in no particular order:

- TT Landlord - always surprises me just how good this is, an absolute classic

- Loweswater Gold - if you can get this it takes some beating, golden, tasty, delightful

- Theakstons Old Peculiar - if you feel hungry as well as thirsty this one addresses both concerns

- Hobgoblin Gold - much lighter than their normal offerings, very tasty, a good session beer

Got me feeling thirsty now....

Offwidth 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I was put off Farmers Blonde as the bottled version always tasted a bit weird to me. I first had the cask beer at a wedding reception near the brewery... it's superb.

Axel Smeets 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

That's my problem with cask beer. Having been a fully fledged member of CAMRA for many years and almost exclusively drinking cask beer up until around 2014/5, the appearance of keg or canned 'craft' beer was a revelation for me. You have to do something seriously wrong to make it bad. On the other hand, cask beer requires a landlord skilled in their craft - otherwise it becomes bloody awful. A pint of cask ale in a pub which looks after its beer is a damn fine thing. But the reliability afforded by keg beers (as well as the fact that breweries who dispense their beer using keg tend to be the more innovative, bold and hop heavy producers these days - something I like) is something that wins me over. I got tired of poorly kept cask ale. 

GrahamD 18 Nov 2020

I think if I only had one beer for all seasons, all occasions it would probably be Adnams Southwold.  Not too strong at 3.7% so a good session beer, but plenty of taste whilst being refreshing enough in summer.  Also seems to be pretty reliable, at least around East Anglia.

Offwidth 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Axel Smeets:

You exaggerate .. the skills to keep good beer and a clean system are pretty simple to understand: it's more often laziness or greediness of trying to knowingly sell beer that is going off rather than throw it away. If it's off they have to refund you and then you can try something else or buy keg.

Keg keeps well but its gassy, usually more expensive and served colder (disguising flavour). I too enjoy many hoppy keg beers but too many selections are really lacking in anything else contributing to a fuller flavour. Keg is great for when there us nothing else on but I'd prefer a session ale any day.

Post edited at 16:26
cb294 18 Nov 2020

UK: St Austells Big Job, Flowers for a lighter ale

Germany: Varies, currently Weissenoher Klostersud or Neumarkter Lammsbräu Urstoff. In summer also Moy Weissbier or Mahrs U from Bamberg

US: Goose Island Honkers and Trolley Indian Pale Ale (San Diego). Probably the best IPA I have ever tasted!

cb294 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Warsteiner is the brew of Satan! Almost as bad as Licher, unfortunately most pubs around here have either one or the other!

CB

Axel Smeets 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

There's a lot in your post I agree with. Laziness and greed is definitely a major contributor to poor cask beer. I'll give you that. 

I also agree with you about many keg brewers relying solely on hops for the flavour. There's an abundance of over-hopped, poorly balanced keg beers out there these days. But there are some real gems too if you go searching. It's fair to say I've done a lot of searching  

Juicymite86 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Axel Smeets:

North brew triple fruited gose! 

Pollys brew been doing some bangers

Axel Smeets 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Juicymite86:

Gose not my style but North Brewing Co churn out some good stuff. 

I'm with you on the Pollys Brew Co too. Their form improved massively when they went through the name change last year! 

Red Rover 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Good point, but I find that 80% of 'craft beer' is a bit disappointing. How many 'craft session triple hopped IPAs' at 8% does the world really need, or have I been drinking in the wrong places?

coinneach 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

As an ex publican and “Master Cellarman “ I feel obliged to mention that looking after Cask Ale is so much easier nowadays and there should be no excuse for selling bad beer!

My localish favourites would be Allendale brewery ( Pennine Pale, Golden Plover, Wolf ). Hexhamshire Brewery ( Shire Bitter, Whapweasel) or GNER ( Rivet Catcher )

The Twice Brewed on the military road also has it’s own micro brewery now and does some nice brews.

Morty 18 Nov 2020

Buxton does some amazing beers.  Rainshadow, Trolltunga, Stormshadow and the dipa version of Axe Edge are lovely. Cloudwater's dipas are solid. I also quite like a Gueuze. Agree about a good pint of TT Landlord, lovely! 

nathan79 18 Nov 2020

If we're talking casks, few sights give me more joy than seeing Titanic Plum Porter on the pumps. 

A few weeks ago I checked the last time I had a pulled pub pint (or rather schooners and thirds). It was mid-February, a nice beer pub in Edinburgh called the Hanging Bat for a night of beers from Welsh brewers Tiny Rebel. Great way to unwind after a 2 day project management course.

deepsoup 18 Nov 2020

I'm happy to say I have a couple of very nice local pubs just down the road from here that often have a Pictish on.  It's very rarely that I try one of their beers and don't love it, even when they're outside of their apparent comfort zone and making something other than a hoppy pale. Their Brewer's Gold is a victim of their brilliance, I always find it slightly disappointing that it's merely excellent. 

I'm very partial to several of the Bradfield beers, Farmer's Blonde probably is my favourite.  You can do a lot worse for an afternoon's climbing than a couple of routes at Agden Rocher followed by a pint of (very) local beer in the Nag's Head.

Moving up from S Yorks into 'proper' Yorkshire, the Saltaire and Ilkley breweries produce some lovely stuff.  My favourite is erm.. probably the Ilkley Pale.  When you're feeling fruity - Saltaire's raspberry beer is wonderfully refreshing on a summer's day.

Lastly, as this is a thread inspired by talk of the Vaynol - a Welsh one.  Last time I was on Anglesey I had a pint of 'Pabo' in a pub where their single hand pump is often a bit of a gamble and a bottle of Purple Moose is the safer bet.  It was a revelation.  Delicious!  The brewery is quite new, 'Bragdy Mona', just up the road from LlanfairPG.  Next time I'm over that way I'll try to catch them with their little brewery shop open and bring a few bottles home.

deepsoup 18 Nov 2020
In reply to nathan79:

> If we're talking casks, few sights give me more joy than seeing Titanic Plum Porter on the pumps. 

Oh man..  when the winter weather is absolutely filthy outside, and the pub has a seat free in front of a roaring fire..  Heaven. 

fred99 18 Nov 2020

Batham's Bitter - could drink it until the cows come home.

DerwentDiluted 18 Nov 2020

Another vote for Farmers Blonde, I remember about 20yrs ago talking to the farmer as I used to sell him tractor oils, he said he was thinking of jacking it all in to start brewing beer...

Axel Smeets 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Morty:

Just opened a can of Allen by Verdant. Top notch DIPA to take the edge off the stresses of bedtime for two children under 3. 

Iamgregp 18 Nov 2020
In reply to cb294:

Well if Satan's drinking Warsteiner take me to hell! 

Come now, surely the tipple of Satan is Carling?

nastyned 18 Nov 2020

It's got to be beer served as god intended so Landlord for me, and then it would be Harveys. 

If we're going into foreign muck though I've got a bit of an obsession with Orval, and Alchemist Heady Topper did indeed live up to the hype. As to drink dispensed from the Devil's drainpipe Únětický 12 is great. 

plyometrics 18 Nov 2020

Think I’m one of few people who doesn’t like IPAs, so it’s Schlenkerla Marzen, Mont-Blanc La Rousse or a Nitro Milk Stout for me.

Post edited at 18:53
 jasonC abroad 18 Nov 2020
In reply to nathan79:

Never seen that on tap (in London) but often get that from Waitrose, liked their Harbour IPA as well but Sainsbury's have stopped stocking it.

Whilst I cant remember any specifics, for obvious reasons, I have been mightily impressed on my recent US visits at how they have changed their whole ethos on beer. Gone are the days of tasteless pap bud-light types. They can brew beers as good, if not better,  than we can and now seem to really appreciate a decent ale. 

Post edited at 19:03
 Morty 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Axel Smeets:

> Just opened a can of Allen by Verdant. Top notch DIPA to take the edge off the stresses of bedtime for two children under 3. 

Their 'Pulp' is great!

Dave the Rave 18 Nov 2020

In no order of particular preference

1. Atlas Latitude

2. Schiehallion

3. Weetwood Southern Cross

4. Jennings Cockerhoop

5. cairngorm Wildcat

6. OldPeculier, OldTom and Owd Roger

7. TT Landlord

8. Pedi and Bass in my old locals 

9. Striding the Riding. Helmsley Brewery. Anyone been there or had this ?

Big Steve 18 Nov 2020

Isle of Arran Blonde ale is my all time favourite, unfortunately havent been able to buy it for a while, but will hopefully be treating myself to an online purchase for xmas. Close runner up though is Old Peculiar, usually bottled but have had it on draught a few times.

cb294 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Warsteiner is actually OK and no comparison to Carling, but it is still an industrial beer with a rather bland, mass market taste. Why drink such stuff when there are so many artisanal breweries around that make much better beers?

CB

tintinandpip 18 Nov 2020
its lockdown so bottles / cans 

Weissbeer always a winner. 

At the other end of the spectrum a shout out for a dark beer recently sampled from Booths. 
Seven Brothers brewery - Sling it out stout. 
( looks like you can buy it direct from the brewery ) 

Ridge 18 Nov 2020
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I have to admit American craft beers were a revelation when we visited, from the mainstream stuff like Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas to the smaller breweries like Cloverdale, Idaho & Wasatch. We should have been in Vancouver this year sampling the Canadian stuff.

Timmy Taylors Landlord is probably my favourite handpull, but the quality is variable. For a couple of years we were convinced the recipe had changed, until we had a really good pint in Howarth last year.

Here in West Cumbria the golf club at Silloth is probably the best 'pub' in the local wasteland of decent pints, with a cracking pint of Loweswater Gold. Even if that's off the Sharps Atlantic that's usually on with it is surprisingly good, considering they make the horrible Doom Bar.

Travelling further afield Cockermouth has a couple of cracking pubs. Jennings Brewery seems to have gone downhill a bit though.

abr1966 18 Nov 2020
In reply to fred99:

> Batham's Bitter - could drink it until the cows come home.

Bathams around Dudley/Wolverhapton? I recall drinking Bathams in a small 'country' pub somewhere around that area....may have been more towards Birmingham but it wasn't actually in the country......cracking pint and a great place making me think back about 35 years!

Iamgregp 18 Nov 2020
In reply to cb294:

Fair point. I’m not adverse to industrial mass market stuff really though (hence my all the usual suspects ref). 

To be honest I never drank anything more adventurous than fosters/Heineken/Stella till I was 30ish. Ales or ipa’s we’re out of the question. I think I’m just be a beer philistine at heart!

mick taylor 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Big Steve:

Old Peculiar from the tap room in the Masham brewery, poured by some Theakston bloke, was the best and most memorable. It was utter nectar and did not taste strong. 

Other than that, it’s been the odd one here and there that I honestly can’t remember.  Usually small local breweries. Although some beers in Scafell Inn have been brilliant. My brothers pub was shipping stuff in from Hawkshead Brewery, stunning stuff.

My homebrew: Muntons American style IPA.

Not one bottled beer would be on the list, although there is some crackers. 

Tom Valentine 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Forgot about Cockerhoop. It's a fine beer.

NathanP 18 Nov 2020

> A combination of commenting on the quality of Robinsons various offerings on the Vaynol thread and missing going to the pub, got me thinking about favourite beers...

> A few of my favourites:...  Bradfield Farmers Belgian Blue - A winter ale, again something that isn't always my thing, but I love this stuff.

A bit too much of an acquired taste. I prefer Brown Cow from Bradfield. 

For supermarket bottle beers: recently I've been very impressed with Worthington White Shield - only thing is, it seems nothing like the original Worthington White Shield and more like a very full-flavoured, high alcohol Draft Bass. Jennings Snecklifter seems to work well in a bottle too - maybe higher strength makes it easier to make a decent bottled beer?

mick taylor 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I’m a hard core beer swilling connoisseur, but beer drinking for me is often about ‘setting’: so a four pack of Mcewans Export certainly has its place, usually camping, often bought from a local Spar. And I’ve really enjoyed a can of Guinness more times than I can remember. 
Oh, and there’s the draft beers I’ve drank in California, including some dark stouty thing that was top notch.

And a trapest type thing in a bar in La Grave which made my legs wobble (found out later it was 7.5%).

Mark Bannan 18 Nov 2020

In no particular order:

Furstenberg

Black Isle Yellowhammer IPA

Black Isle Blonde

Brewdog Elvis Juice

Gambrinus (from Czech Republic)

Keo (from Cyprus)

Weihenstephaner 

Leffe Blonde

Delerium Tremens (Belgian, amazingly 11% alcohol but absolute nectar!)

In reply to mick taylor:

Have you ever been to Cologne and had Kolsch? Spent a full afternoon supping this in ? 1/3 litre glasses and having my beer mat ticked.

mick taylor 18 Nov 2020

Nope, but I now want to go. 

Toccata 18 Nov 2020

I’ve been around the world drinking beer for 30 years. I’m half way through the 1995 GBG; I’ve completed 300 Beers and 1000 beers. I’ve been brewing for 20 years. 

None of this gives me any authority because beer is such a personal thing. There’s not many beers I don’t like but I do have an aversion to overly sweet beers, grapefruit, ginger and aniseed in my beer. I like malty flavour and the earthiness of UK hops. This leads me to the simplicity of Black Sheep Best as my desert island pint. But seriously there are a hundred beers in joint second. Craft beers are in the ‘interesting’ category: worth tasting but rarely worth a repeat visit.

Scotland- Houston Peters Well

Cumbria- Tirril 1823 and Dent Bitter

NE- Mordue Workie Ticket

Yorkshire- BsB of course

Midlands- Holdens Black Country Bitter

SW- Penryn Bal Maiden (or Betty Stoggs if I’m thirsty)

SE- Fullers Bengal lancer

East Anglia- Adnams Broadside 

Germany- Schneider Aventinus

Belgium- Rodenbach Grand Cru

In reply to mick taylor:

It’s good stuff as I remember. I sat by a kiosk bar near the Dom( a cathedral) and watched the world go by. Lagery beer stuff. Very nice. I met these two Germans somewhere who took me to this place where they bring drink to your table with a small cask on their shoulder. It was good stuff as I vaguely remember.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Forgot about Cockerhoop. It's a fine beer.

Yes. It’s my February Keswick drink but I think the Dog and Gun don’t sell it anymore.

mark20 18 Nov 2020

When I had a pint of Cockerhoop at Strines early this year, the barman said it was the last barrel of it they had as Jennings had stopped making it?

Best pint I've ever had was Old Peculiar at 'the most haunted pub in York'

Wainers44 18 Nov 2020

Two favourites which are quite well spaced out...

Jail Ale by Dartmoor Brewery Princetown. Nectar. 

Any of the Islay Ales, wonderful but not that available in Devon!

Mike-W-99 18 Nov 2020

> Have you ever been to Cologne and had Kolsch? Spent a full afternoon supping this in ? 1/3 litre glasses and having my beer mat ticked.

Yes, had a very messy evening there going round various places. Good stuff.

In reply to mark20:

> When I had a pint of Cockerhoop at Strines early this year, the barman said it was the last barrel of it they had as Jennings had stopped making it?

Quite possibly so. The barman in the dog and gun this February  said they had discontinued some lines to appeal to the younger market! WTF!

> Best pint I've ever had was Old Peculiar at 'the most haunted pub in York'

Where, and haunted by whom ?

Edit:  Bank Tavern not dog and gun

Post edited at 21:13
 Ridge 18 Nov 2020

> Yes. It’s my February Keswick drink but I think the Dog and Gun don’t sell it anymore.

I hate to break it to you Dave, but nowhere sells it (or Snecklifter) anymore!

Both discontinued in 2019 and replaced with something average with a snazzy label.

I bloody loved Cockerhoop (and Snecklifter).

Post edited at 21:16
In reply to Ridge:

> I hate to break it to you Dave, but nowhere sells it (or Snecklifter) anymore!

> Both discontinued in 2019 and replaced with something average with a snazzy label.

> I bloody loved Cockerhoop.

Gutted. Loved a Snecklifter too

nastyned 18 Nov 2020
In reply to NathanP:

>I've been very impressed with Worthington White Shield - only thing is, it seems nothing like the original Worthington White Shield

Blimey, how old are you?

I’ve not been to Cologne, but a mate brewed an excellent Kolsch for me one new year.

Reach>Talent 18 Nov 2020

Thornbridge Jaipur IPA sounds interesting,  will look out for that, I do like an IPA. 

I like a good balanced beer diet so put my 'pub budget' towards a Beer52 subscription during lockdown, it isn't the same but I get a little selection of beers through once a month. 

mark20 18 Nov 2020

> Quite possibly so. The barman in the dog and gun this February  said they had discontinued some lines to appeal to the younger market! WTF!

> Where, and haunted by whom ?

The Golden Fleece. I can't remember the story but I didn't see anything!

Iamgregp 18 Nov 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Very true. I enjoyed a whole load of little French stubbies in the sun in my back garden this summer. I mean technically that beer is utter piss, but for the time and place it was just right.

Cornish boy 18 Nov 2020

My favourite draught ales are:

1. Butty Bach - Wye Valley brewery

2. Tribute - St Austell brewery

3. Reverend James - Brains brewery

The first two are also good out of the   bottle. Never had bottled Rev James so can’t comment.

Wye Valley HPA is also good. 

Must try TT Landlord after all the recommendations! 

Cheers

Mike-W-99 18 Nov 2020
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Thornbridge Jaipur IPA sounds interesting,  will look out for that, I do like an IPA. 

Alledgely the basis for the original punk ipa recipe. 

TobyA 18 Nov 2020

Has anyone tried the below? It's really good - I think it's either Punk IPA or something very very similar, but it costs less. But considering Punk has always had a "a postmodern IPA" on the can, this tickled me even more - making a "fake" shop-brand beer but actually keeping your label on it, but hiding it in Aldi colour scheme and fonts and "hiding" the name Aldi in the beer title, is just as post-modern as f***. Perhaps only people who have spent time in university humanities or social science departments will truly appreciate the utter silliness of it all!  

Otherwise I agree with Mick, context is everything. There are some Finnish beers that remind of when I lived there - wonderful nights, round campfires in the woods, when out climbing, or in Helsinki bars with mates arguing politics endlessly and watching the snow silently fall outside - the taste just take you back in a flash to those contexts. Those ones also represents the slow and arduous claw-back from a country with four, essentially the same, bland generic Euro-lagers where you drank to get drunk, to a country where people enjoy beer for its differing tastes and that pleasure! I had a period in my life where I travelled to Brussels quite frequently and always stayed with an old uni mate, a Spaniard - but who would always insist we go out to the local Brussels bars - there's something magical about good Belgian beers that seem to have all of European history rolled up in their taste... A pint of Heavy (McEwan's 80) takes me back to being a student in Glasgow and all that, wild nights oot on the toon... 

Beer is great isn't it?

Post edited at 23:17

Run_Ross_Run 19 Nov 2020

'life and death' although technically they market it as an IPA.

Fuit flavoured ale so sounds wrong but its definitely the right side of right! 6.5% too. Mmmmm

shutuplegsuk 19 Nov 2020
In reply to plyometrics:

I recently discovered the Schlenkerla beers, absolute quality stuff. Urbock has been my favourite so far but I hear they do an oak smoked version around Christmas...

Wingnut 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

Another vote for Jail Ale here, especially on getting back to the Plume after a particularly soggy day on the moor.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Alledgely the basis for the original punk ipa recipe. 

I think one of the Thornbridge brewers went on to co-found Brewdog but personally I don’t taste much similarity between Jaipur and Punk IPA. Jaipur is dangerously quaffable and balanced for its strength, whereas Punk IPA just tastes to me like American hops turned up to eleven. Mind you, my perception of Brew Dog’s products is possibly tainted by the episode of BBC’s “Who’s the Boss” which featured the founders. It was great car crash TV but uncharacteristically bad marketing.

Ridge 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

I'm not sure about BrewDog. Punk IPA is what it is (we ended up with a barrel on handpull at a local beer festival some years ago, and it was really quaffable, resulting in much falling over), but the canned stuff is nice enough and 12 packs are cheap from Morrisons so it's a staple in my lockdown contingency stores. Thornbridge Jaipur is far superior though (must replenish stocks).

I think the Brewdog Dead Pony Club is a nice session beer, but all this 'equity for punks' and bars selling £15 bottles of lager strikes me as trendy marketing gone mad. Please just concentrate on the beer.

J101 19 Nov 2020

Mostly drink Sours and Stout nowadays.

Pastore from Waterbeech do some amazing Sour beers and I'm enjoying the stouts from Brew York lately.

Sl@te Head 19 Nov 2020

'Norwegian Wood' is probably my favourite, love the smokey flavour, sadly I only get to drink it in Norway.

Had a draught pint of Camden IPA earlier this year which was the best pint I've had in a long time....

ripper 19 Nov 2020

The whole concept of a 'favourite' beer seems odd to me, as enjoyment can be very skewed by about time/place/circumstances, and also I enjoy the variety - different styles depending on what mood I'm in. Also, when in a pub I do (did!) like to choose ales from a brewer as local as possible to where I am at the time.

That said, here are few that maybe haven't been mentioned yet:

Timmy Taylors Dark Landlord - I had this in a Taylors pub in Skipton, the only time I've witnessed the magnificent sight of a line-up of no fewer than seven Taylors ales on hand-pump

Belgian bottles - Saison Dupont, Orval and Duvel Citra

Yates's bitter, as used to be served in the ODG

Church End Goat's Milk

Almost anything by North Cotswold Brewery

Les 3 Monts - from north-east France, comes in a heavy 75cl bottle with flip top

There are more but these rose to the top as I was pondering...

fred99 19 Nov 2020
In reply to abr1966:

> Bathams around Dudley/Wolverhapton? I recall drinking Bathams in a small 'country' pub somewhere around that area....may have been more towards Birmingham but it wasn't actually in the country......cracking pint and a great place making me think back about 35 years!

Yes, the brewery is in Delph road, Brierley Hill - hence also known as Delph Ales. The pub you drank in could have been in Kinver.

Hat Dude 19 Nov 2020

There's no way I could pick one favourite beer, though I will give honourable mentions to the following

Oakham JHB

Abbeydale Moonshine

Farmers Blonde has been picked by several others so I'll go for an alternative from Sheffield - Stancill Blonde

Spingo Middle - though I only tend to have this once a year and the circumstances influence the enjoyment a lot

An old guy I used to work with had a saying "There's no such thing as a bad beer, some are just worse than others!"

JoshOvki 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Ridge:

The problem I have with Jaipur is it is TOO nice for its strength. Many a horrible hangover popping to the pub just for 1 on that stuff!

Thornbridge is local, so well stocked in the Spar in Calver. I went in and picked up two Jaipur IPAs which I thought were pokey, and the realised I had bought Jaipur X IPA 10%. Definitely not a session ale😂

brianjcooper 19 Nov 2020

So much beer so little time!

Add Snowdonia ale from The Purple Moose brewery in Porthmadog. On tap or bottle.

nastyned 19 Nov 2020
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

> I think one of the Thornbridge brewers went on to co-found Brewdog but personally I don’t taste much similarity between Jaipur and Punk IPA. Jaipur is dangerously quaffable and balanced for its strength, whereas Punk IPA just tastes to me like American hops turned up to eleven.

Yes, Martin Dickie. The original version of Punk IPA was more like Jaipur but they had a major re-design of Punk a few years back (dropped the ABV and bitterness but made it fruitier).  

nastyned 19 Nov 2020
In reply to ripper:

> That said, here are few that maybe haven't been mentioned yet:

> Timmy Taylors Dark Landlord

That's Landlord with caramel added to make it dark. It was called Ram Tam until recently. 

NathanP 19 Nov 2020
In reply to nastyned:

> >I've been very impressed with Worthington White Shield - only thing is, it seems nothing like the original Worthington White Shield

> Blimey, how old are you?

Not that old, you cheeky £^(7! But old enough to remember White Shield as small bottles of bottle conditioned beer that was extremely vulnerable to careless pouring so you risked getting a load of unpleasant sediment in the glass. I was once thrown out of and banned from a pub for raising an eyebrow when the barman just upended the bottle and handed me a muddy looking glass of sediment.  

Removed User 19 Nov 2020

At this time of year I quite like the dark beers particularly Elland 1872, they also do a Hazelnut stout, Titanic Plum Porter also good. I've not had anything hand pulled since March this year its been bottles from tescos or from my local offy neither of which has a great selection so its Adnams Broadside or Badgers Golden Champion (cant seem to get Badgers Golden Glory which I prefer as a summer tipple). Roll on next year.

nastyned 19 Nov 2020
In reply to NathanP:

I remember those bottles too! But it's moved brewery several times since then, I know the bottling yeast was changed at one point and the recipe was changed (though to an older version!) when production moved to King and Barnes. I think it's now brewed back in Burton by Molson Coors, though probably in what was the Allied brewery as I think the old Bass brewery is now closed. 

Richard J 19 Nov 2020
In reply to nastyned:

I think White Shield is now brewed in a new microbrewery in the back of what used to be the Bass Museum, and is now the National Brewery Centre.  I like both the original and new versions!

And, to agree with many others on the thread, Landlord is excellent.  So good I installed the Timothy Taylors "Pintfinder" app on my phone.  For habitués of the Peak, one place it always seems to be on top form in is the Cock and Pullet in Sheldon.

ripper 19 Nov 2020

Anyone else tried Tynt Meadow -  England's only Trappist ale - yet? Any thoughts?

Mike-W-99 19 Nov 2020
In reply to ripper:

No, never found a stockist near me.

I've tried beer from the one in the states (bizarrely in france) which was very pleasant.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Nov 2020

Having been a Manchester resident ten years ago, the mention of Pictish and Marble beers has me all misty-eyed. Is Phoenix still going as well. A trio of: Pictish Alchemists Ale; Marble Port Stout; and Phoenix Wobbly Bob would have me in raptures.

Down here in Bristol, it'll be a Dawkins Easton IPA; Arbor Blue Sky Drinking (Best Bitter); and a Good Chemistry Morello Theory please!

nastyned 20 Nov 2020
In reply to ripper:

Took me a while to find it but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

OP The New NickB 20 Nov 2020
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Having been a Manchester resident ten years ago, the mention of Pictish and Marble beers has me all misty-eyed. Is Phoenix still going as well. A trio of: Pictish Alchemists Ale; Marble Port Stout; and Phoenix Wobbly Bob would have me in raptures.

Phoenix seemed to be doing OK prior to this year, I honestly don't know how they are getting on at the moment. Phoenix Arizona would ordinarily be a regular tipple.

Pkrynicki1984 20 Nov 2020

Titanic plum porter

Danebridge IPA

Bass 

Pollys beers are all good

MonkeyPuzzle 20 Nov 2020
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

That plum porter is the best balanced fruit beer I’ve ever had. Pure porter initially and then just a beautiful soft plum aftertaste. Amazing stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...