Fantastic Fungi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 31 Aug 2021

Came across this little gem on Netflix last week and thought it was very interesting.  It might get a little bit "new-agey" for some, but if nothing else the visuals and cinematography are pretty cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=bxABOiay6oA&

Never realised there was so much more to mushrooms than the bit you see above the surface.

Siward 31 Aug 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I was tempted but, as you imply, as soon as the hideous voiceover started I turned off!

Worth watching to some music instead do you think? 

OP ThunderCat 31 Aug 2021
In reply to Siward:

Ah, I know exactly what you mean.  It only lasts for the first couple of minutes!  You're then onto real people talking

(although it does crop up again in the middle and at the end, but only for a minute or two)

In reply to magma:

I have the worst feeling that it's going to be some sort of jump-scare video right at the end...

steveb2006 31 Aug 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I think a fungi somewhere has been found to be the largest individual organism on earth due to the huge mass and spread of the mycelium underground.

In reply to steveb2006:

> I think a fungi somewhere has been found to be the largest individual organism on earth due to the huge mass and spread of the mycelium underground.

I think this is mentioned on the program - a quick google says: "More precisely, a specific honey fungus measuring 2.4 miles (3.8 km) across in the Blue Mountains in Oregon is thought to be the largest living organism on Earth."

It doesn't leave mush-room for anything else, apparently..

Do I get my own coat, or can you fetch it for me?

steveb2006 31 Aug 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ahh - I did wonder, after posting, that it may mention something like that - watched the start with the sound off - will aim to watch rest of it

john arran 31 Aug 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I started watching the longer version on Netflix a week or two back, and I lasted for about 10 minutes before swearing at it due to the flagrant abuse of terminology and absence of scientific rigour in an attempt to sound more impressive, or more mystical, or more something or other they hoped the viewers might be impressed by.

Visuals are astonishingly good. Verbal content is utterly dire.

In reply to john arran:

There's another vote for the sound off😊

AllanMac 01 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Merlin Sheldrake's book 'Entangled Life' is more scientific, and no less astonishing:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/entangled-life/merlin-sheldrake/9781847925...

OP ThunderCat 01 Sep 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

Cheers for that, I will have a look

As well as the visuals, one thing I also liked about the program was that it changed my mindset a bit about the automatic association of mould and fungi with 'decay / death / rotting / bad' to that of 'regeneration / recycling / good'

In reply to AllanMac:

> Merlin Sheldrake's book 'Entangled Life' is more scientific, and no less astonishing:

Another thumbs up for this book

aln 01 Sep 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Do I get my own coat, or can you fetch it for me?

Not at all, you're a fun guy. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...