Falling squirrels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 24 Jun 2021

Out for a run in the woods today with a mental health service user whom I support...and a squirrel fell out of a tree and landed about a meter in front of him!! Fair to say he got the fright of his life and I creased with laughter! 

Bob Kemp 24 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

It's no laughing matter - you can't be too careful with squirrels... 

youtube.com/watch?v=vJrYE7TLJq4&

In reply to girlymonkey:

youtube.com/watch?v=MziwbQv9zQ0& 

Not what they appear. 

Martin W 25 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

My motorcycle instructor told a story about a colleague of his who was always banging on about how a good rider should be able to anticipate everything that might occur.  Then one day he was out with a pupil and a squirrel fell from a roadside tree and landed in his lap, causing him to lose control and drop the bike.  Don't think he ever lived that one down.

Lankyman 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

We should never have allowed American squirrels into the UK

CantClimbTom 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> We should never have allowed American squirrels into the UK

Bl**dy foreign squirrels, wasn't brexit supposed to sort that sort of thing out too?

profitofdoom 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

> It's no laughing matter - you can't be too careful with squirrels... 

Falling squirrels? They're too busy watching out for their nuts

Fat Bumbly2 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I was narrowly missed by one dropped by a buzzard once.

mondite 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

> I was narrowly missed by one dropped by a buzzard once.

Same here although it might have been the remains of a pigeon. Was riding down a sunken lane and startled a buzzard which took off but decided it could not longer carry lunch with it and so nearly dropped it on my head.

In reply to girlymonkey:

They fall from trees when you shoot them, the thud is surprisingly loud! We have terrible problems with squirrels. They eat every single strawberry, damson and hazlenut in the garden before we get a look-in and we have been unable to successfully keep them out with nets - so they've got to go!

jasonC abroad 26 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Never saw a squirrel fall out of a tree and then I saw it happen twice in a week. Both times the squirrel fell at the feet of my Jack Russell though one was fast enough to escape the impending doom, the other sadly didn't.

Jim Fraser 27 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I am fortunate to live in a place that is free of greys and where red squirrels dominate. I definitely want to keep it that way so my feelings about grey squirrels centre around ideas about extermination.

One day I was walking down one of central Edinburgh's many quaint sets of steps when suddenly a grey squirrel landed on top of the wall near me. Its tail was just in front of my hand. I reached for its tail with the idea of smashing the little bar steward's head on the stonework and reducing the threat to Scottish reds by the quantity of one grey.

I wasn't quite quick enough and was left with a handful of grey fur. I had a quick look round in case I was about to be murdered by hordes of enraged vegans. I had heard of squirrel pie being a thing and wondered whether that would have been an option upon greater success. However, I decided that perhaps a man in a suit walking through Edinburgh city centre carrying a dead squirrel by the tail wasn't a good look. Then there was the problem of turning up at the meeting: would it cause a stir to ask to put a dead squirrel in their fridge?

Post edited at 00:26
 Anti-faff 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Jim Fraser:

They’re an absolute bastard to skin. 

mondite 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Anti-faff:

> They’re an absolute bastard to skin. 

So given your name you dont bother?

Mal Grey 29 Jun 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

One nearly landed in my canoe once, failing to jump from one tree to another across a canal. Turns out they can swim quite happily.

druridge 02 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

When I lived in Sheffield we came across the aftermath of a squirrel (grey) shoot/cull in Abbeydale Woods. 400 (!) dead squirrels laid out at the side of the path. I expected the woods to be MT of the little grey tree rats, not a chance, numbers seemed unaffected by the slaughter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...