factcheckUK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 19 Nov 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/19/tories-tweet-anti-labour-p...

And this is legitimate and legal? Utterly disgraceful.

pasbury 19 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Anyone else think the designation of CCHQ is deliberately close to GCHQ?

Makes it sound more authoritative than it is, i.e. truth not lies.

Bob Kemp 19 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Getting widely criticised already. Here's a real fact-checking organisation:

"Full Fact tweeted: "It is inappropriate and misleading for the Conservative press office to rename their twitter account 'factcheckUK' during this debate.

"Please do not mistake it for an independent fact checking service such as @FullFact, @FactCheck or @FactCheckNI."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/tory-party-criticised-after-di...

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Again we live in the age of lies.  

All I can smell is rotting brains .  We're mired in it.  

Post edited at 05:29
 Yanis Nayu 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I don’t know why, given the scope of Johnson’s dishonesty generally, but this really shocked me. As Emily Maitlis said, dystopian. 

In reply to tehmarks:

A clever move but a card that can only be played once. 

l21bjd 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> A clever move but a card that can only be played once. 

Which appears to have backfired? But then, who ever decided to do it must have known it would become a news item.

wercat 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

They must be really confident of their natural right and destiny to rule us to pull a stunt like that.   Really is worthy of the Leningrad crowd or Dr Goebbels

balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> A clever move but a card that can only be played once. 

Clever? 

Absolutely disgraceful and demonstrates that the Conservatives are rotten to the core

Post edited at 09:23
 Trevers 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I am utterly appalled by the Tory party at this election. They're debasing politics to a level hitherto unseen in the UK. If they win a majority, democracy has died.

lorentz 20 Nov 2019
In reply to l21bjd:

> Which appears to have backfired? But then, who ever decided to do it must have known it would become a news item.

*cough cough* Dominic Cummings *splutter*

More from the Minister of Intrigue & Disinformation?

Durbs 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Theory #1: They assumed BoJo was going to be embarrassingly awful in the debate, so did this as a diversion

Theory #2: It's a distraction from the Arron Bank leaks - though I think this is less likely as that's mired in legal discussions

Theory #3: They're just awful people.

john arran 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Durbs:

Oh, I know this one!

They're probably all right, to some extent. But the correct answer is 3.

jkarran 20 Nov 2019
In reply to l21bjd:

> Which appears to have backfired? But then, who ever decided to do it must have known it would become a news item.

I doubt it's backfired. Anyone who cares already knew Johnson's government are a bunch of lying cnuts but now they're a bunch of lying cnuts with a hoard of 'legit' tweets saying he's not. They'll screenshot them and push out unchallenged to the wavering on social media for the next three weeks. Some will be convinced.

jk

Post edited at 10:35
 neilh 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Why anyone actually seriously believes anything on Twitter or Facebook is beyond me, whether its from the Cons/Labour/Libs or whatever?

I assume there is a Labour /SNP/Lib "fact checking service" as well.

Its wise to treat these things with a pinch of salt and totally ignore.

Most of the younger generation do so and are wise to it.

wercat 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

do you assume it is labelled with the tick symbol as a verified fact checking source too?

OP tehmarks 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> I assume there is a Labour /SNP/Lib "fact checking service" as well.

No, there isn't.

Trevers 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Why anyone actually seriously believes anything on Twitter or Facebook is beyond me, whether its from the Cons/Labour/Libs or whatever?

> I assume there is a Labour /SNP/Lib "fact checking service" as well.

This is an argument from the "they're all liars anyway" set. That sort of cynicism and apathy is precisely why we've now got a compulsive liar as our Prime Minister, and a government that has stooped to simply becoming a propaganda machine.

neilh 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Yes there is.Just type SNP fact check or Labour whatever.

Very common.

Even try BBC fact check.

Bob Kemp 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Why anyone actually seriously believes anything on Twitter or Facebook is beyond me, whether its from the Cons/Labour/Libs or whatever?

That's a massive over-generalisation. There are plenty of Twitter accounts from reputable bodies and individuals of all kinds and in many different sectors. The problem is partly a matter of user skills and awareness and partly one of regulation - self-regulation or otherwise. 

Bob Kemp 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Yes there is.Just type SNP fact check or Labour whatever.

I just did, for Labour. Nothing there, unless it's very obscure. What are you referring to?

neilh 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Trevers:

No its not. Every party has its own fact checking service or propaganda service.

I get loads of Labour "propaganda" on my facebook page all reshared.

Since when has a governemnt or political party not been a propaganda machine. Goes with the territory.I am surprised anyone is surprised.

Bob Kemp 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

That's not a fact-checking service. That's a fact-checking article on their News pages. See the difference? Also clearly branded as SNP.

wbo2 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:difference being that says SNP at the top.  

The deceptive nature of yesterday is the problem.  

Darron 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

Surely you can see that there is a difference between a party putting out it’s own spin and deliberately pretending to be a fact checking service? Please have a look at what’s going on across the Atlantic - that is where we are headed in terms of lies and misinformation. It’s far worse than anything that has gone before and puts short term gains in power well in front of democracy. How can you not be appalled!

balmybaldwin 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Yes there is.Just type SNP fact check or Labour whatever.

> Very common.

Except these are not verified accounts and have very few followers (<10).

As you know anyone can set-up accounts.

What we are discussing is the Conservative Press Office VERIFIED account with 77,000 followers which is therefore widely re-tweeted

> Even try BBC fact check.

Yes an independent fact checking organisation.

Your Bias is showing (Again)

Trevers 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> Since when has a governemnt or political party not been a propaganda machine. Goes with the territory.I am surprised anyone is surprised.

Previous governments, including Cameron's and May's which I thoroughly disliked, have governed. This current one has shown no interest in governing, only in consolidating its own power. I'm not remotely interested to hear anything it says, including its policies and promises. I won't be reading its manifesto. I don't believe a single thing it says, and I'm not even interested in assessing whether it may occasionally be sincere. It's destroyed any obligation for me to consider it objectively and engage with it constructively.

Post edited at 15:56
 alastairmac 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

What's more disgraceful is a TV debate beamed into the homes of pretty much every Scottish voter where we saw two party leaders that represent minority parties in Scotland....and the biggest party in Scotland wasn't allowed to participate. 

Robert Durran 20 Nov 2019
In reply to alastairmac:

> What's more disgraceful is a TV debate beamed into the homes of pretty much every Scottish voter where we saw two party leaders that represent minority parties in Scotland....and the biggest party in Scotland wasn't allowed to participate. 

I wonder whether that might play into Sturgeon's hands; she is so head and shoulders above all the other party leaders as a politician that, when she takes BJ and JC to task in the next debate, the contrast with the level of debate in this one will be obvious.

wercat 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

perhaps we need a fastshowUK parody

BnB 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

As I'm calling Corbyn out on another thread, for balance, I'll add my voice to condemn this initiative. I am appalled at the intention and bewildered by the amateur execution.

john arran 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> It's ok, because nobody gives a toss:

Has anyone ever seen Dominic Raab and neilh in the same room together?

RedFive 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

what a bunch of lefty snowflakes  

labours official twitter fact check account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_InsiderUK?p=s

Absolutely no different. 

Robert Durran 20 Nov 2019
In reply to RedFive:

> what a bunch of lefty snowflakes  

> labours official twitter fact check account:

> Absolutely no different. 

I do think it's different. Simply calling something a "factcheck" implies an impartiality that nobody in their right mind expects from most stuff on the internet. 

Timmd 20 Nov 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Clever? 

> Absolutely disgraceful and demonstrates that the Conservatives are rotten to the core

Clever and 'moral' aren't the same things, I entirely agree that it was a disgraceful thing to do, but it was a crafty idea. I hope it spoils their election prospects like it should do. Mentally I think 'Hey clever' while my moral compass goes 'They did what?!?'

Post edited at 18:28
 wercat 20 Nov 2019
In reply to RedFive:

totally different - wearing uniform not false colours

Yanis Nayu 20 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

I hope you’re getting paid for your tireless apologist work on behalf of the Tories. 

Clauso 20 Nov 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

Tory scum sinking to ever scummier depths... Plus ca change, as the Russians say.

bouldery bits 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

On this occasion, I don't think big Neil is being an apologist for the cnsrvtvs. I think he's rightly pointing out that THEY ARE ALL SCUM and it would be better if ABSOLUTELY NOBODY VOTED FOR ANY PARTY as it only ENCOURAGES THEM.

Cheers big Neil. What a guy.

Post edited at 22:07
 bouldery bits 20 Nov 2019
In reply to RedFive:

> what a bunch of lefty snowflakes  

'What does that even mean?'

'No one knows what it means. It's provocative. It gets the people going.'

fred99 21 Nov 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> ... it would be better if ABSOLUTELY NOBODY VOTED FOR ANY PARTY as it only ENCOURAGES THEM.

> Cheers big Neil. What a guy.

And if us normal people don't vote then what happens - the damned extremists get to decide who runs the country. Your comment is just plain stupid.

alastairmac 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

I think you're right.

bouldery bits 21 Nov 2019
In reply to fred99:

Hehehe  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...