Facebook: locked out of my own account

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kean 27 Jun 2022

Long (boring) story short:

Last year I got a message from FB telling me my account had been accessed from Philadelphia. It was clearly a hack so I froze my account. I was on holiday. I waited till I got back before using the re-activation codes FB emailed me. When I got home, FB said they the codes had expired. I was then stuck in a confusing loop from which there was no escape. I gave up trying in frustration and set up a new account. But my old account still exists...frozen in time.

Or so I thought: the other day, FB listed my OLD account in the list of "people you may know". Just out of curiosity, I sent "friend request" to myself and I clicked on my old account and discovered that FB is still auto-linking content from my friends to it for activities we've done together e.g. photos of climbing trips (instead of auto-linking to my new account). So it's a mess, and I want to try to regain access to it. Any suggestions??

Cheers

Toerag 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

So you're not able to get new reactivation codes anymore? Good luck with doing anything requiring contact with FB, a friend's account was hijacked but FB won't even close it down, let alone give it back to them!

Dax H 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

Best option, leave Facebook. 

wbo2 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean: As above.  My Facebook account was hacked and reregistered to an email address based in Turkey, but good luck getting that back. 

Post edited at 15:15
 grectangle 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

Same thing happened to me in 2015.  When I used the code they sent to sign back in, it created new false accounts instead.  I contacted FB and they basically said "meh".

The story has a happy ending though, because I've been off FB for 7 years now.

OP Kean 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

Ha ha! That's about that then! Thanks for the replies.

deepsoup 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

If that is indeed that perhaps it would be worth asking the friends who are being linked to your old account to unfriend it.

balmybaldwin 27 Jun 2022
In reply to Kean:

Could try a DSAR request to get contact?

OP Kean 28 Jun 2022
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Could try a DSAR request to get contact?

Thanks...very low level of understanding of these things. Had to look up DSAR request. I've tried and failed to actually contact a human at FB. So how could I send such a request? Surely I'd have to send a DSAR to an actual humanoid. And if could send a DSAR to a humanoid, wouldn't it be more useful and to the point to send them a description of the problem I'm facing? (fully concede I didn't mention in the original post that I can't contact a real person in FB)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...