Exteria Wood walls, air gaps & damp!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baileyswalk 05 Dec 2018

Hi...

I'm building a wood/store shed up against a bigger shed and due to some bad calculations I've ended up with the smaller shed being closer than i would have liked to the main, big shed.

The reason for keeping a good distance between the two was to avoid any risk of damp & rot...

So how close can I go before it starts to become a concern...?

Captain Solo 05 Dec 2018
In reply to baileyswalk:

Ideally you want about 50mm from a building regs/ cavity point of view. An absolute minimum of 25mm to allow a current of air and certainly not touching. Important to keep any timber cladding a minimum of 150mm off the ground too.

Fruitbat 05 Dec 2018
In reply to baileyswalk:

Ha! You mentioned on your other thread that disaster must be imminent...I wouldn't class this as anything too serious though.

Bigger the gap you can get would be the best. Will you need access to be able to treat the wood in future? (or at least inspect it).

Post edited at 19:19
 Captain Solo 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

The theory is if the timber can dry out each time after wetting then it shouldn't rot. I tend to buy pre-treated timber and not have to worry about future painting or staining.

OP baileyswalk 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Fruitbat:

Hah - yea, I forgot to factor in how much the cladding sits off thebold shed!

Its all green treated sarking so shouldn't need anything additional done tonit for a few years at least. I can probably move this wood hut if i really had to. I can have a gap of 25mm though and be right on the edge of the slabs, so all good! Will just have to keep an eye on it i guess.

OP baileyswalk 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Captain Solo:

Yup - its all green treated timber.

Toerag 06 Dec 2018
In reply to baileyswalk:

If it's close enough to be a worry you should be able to create some kind of valley gutter to help keep the gap dry?

Tringa 06 Dec 2018
In reply to baileyswalk:

While 50mm might be OK to maintain an airflow. If possible see if you can get a bigger gap.

In the future you might have to paint the sheds with preservative and therefore need to get in between them.

Dave

summo 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> If it's close enough to be a worry you should be able to create some kind of valley gutter to help keep the gap dry?

By far the best solution. Metal trim slightly embedded on higher wall then over lap the lower. Or straddled the roofs if of equal height. 

Leave the 25mm gap, you could put a couple of air vents in the wood shed wall too if they wanted to over kill it. 

Post edited at 15:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...