Exeter - Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 25 Mar 2019

Firstly thank you to those of you that contributed to the original thread:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/off_belay/exeter-699499?v=1#x8931659

We spent this last weekend in the city and the three of us attended the University open day for students with offers. Met the course director and some of the current students, had a look at the main campus and the St. Luke's campus where this course is based and at some of the accommodation.

We were impressed by the course, style of teaching etc and we all liked the campus, although me and her mum are still wondering if it might be a bit too small. Whilst the city wasn't exactly exciting, it seemed pleasant enough.

Since the last thread, she has received an offer from Manchester, so she has offers from all the universities she applied to, but it is likely to be between Exeter and Manchester. She is probably looking more towards Exeter at the moment, but that is a decision that she will have to make in the next few weeks.

Brought home some of the barriers that people face when looking at higher education, this was one of six universities that she has looked at and whilst it is the furthest away by some margin, the trip cost over £300 including fuel, accommodation, food and drink and that was only staying in a family room in a travelodge.

We made a small detour on the way back and walked up Glastonbury Tor, brought back nice memories of a trip I did to that part of the world when I was 17.

Post edited at 10:32
 Greenbanks 25 Mar 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Interesting post. It also raises the question of the open day circuit for those potential students (and their parents) who simply can't afford to make these preparatory visits. Its always struck me as unfair that these potential entrants can't benefit from these events.

Takes me back though: I was of a generation where the info gleaned was from a (usually out of date) prospectus in the local library and reputation. Oh, and of course - the location (as close to the hills as possible - which I'm glad to say worked for me!)

OP The New NickB 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Greenbanks:

I did a few visits, on my own which seemed the norm* (Edinburgh and Liverpool), but actually ended up in London.

* We were quite prepared to drop her off at the door and catch up with her later, but she was keen for us to accompany her and actually I didn't see a single one of the young people there without at least one parent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...