Euros 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
 Babika 28 Jun 2021

What a cracker of a match - France v Switzerland. Feel exhausted after that. 

I would have posted in the other forum but for some reason it's been archived!! We haven't even got to Tuesday night yet.....

Bottom Clinger 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

And I beat you by a minute!  

Mods: feel free to archive one of this to avoid triplucation!

OP Babika 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Yes agree!. But why was the original archived? 

It's a great way to share the excitement of the tournament and I'm enjoying the punditry

Bottom Clinger 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Re being archived:  The original reached a limit. The Limit is governed by The Matrix and none of us know how it works. Trust me, I know from bitter experience. 

In reply to Babika:

France deserved to lose; shocked out of their sluggish torpor by the penalty save, played 20 mins of fantasy football, then switched off when they reckoned the job was done. Well, it wasn’t done. 

Pogba was at the heart of it- he’s capable of playing passes that don’t even look possible, and that goal was astounding; but then he just disappeared, except when he was being caught in possession, or moaning to the referee.

and mbappe looked like a shadow of the player that destroyed teams in the WC in 2018. Looked like he pretended to be hurt when he fluffed a chance, and very telling that there were defenders taking penalties before he did. 

Switzerland played for the whole 120 mins, and deserved to go through. 

bet Spain v Switzerland finishes 0-0 now… 😁

veteye 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Yes. I totally agree.

That was a brilliant match! One that Switzerland deserved to win.

All great goals.

The whole tournament has provided the most amazing entertainment, and nail biting moments.

Rob

Roadrunner6 29 Jun 2021

What a game. I couldn’t believe at 3-1 it wasn’t over. This is a brilliant tournament. There’s just no pressure on these supposed lesser teams now. They’ve exceeded expectations. 

The Norris 29 Jun 2021
In reply to veteye:

It has been excellent. So many underdogs coming up trumps and winning.

Hats off to Switzerland, well deserved victory. 

I think we're going to get a new nation being European champions this year, none of the 'big' nations have really shown the form to suggest they are unbeatable, and with the confidence and quality the smaller nations are showing, who knows!

I dont care what happens this evening as long as it doesnt go to penalties!

Sean Kelly 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Well yesterday's matches will take some beating. Total madness. Pogda passing was something else but hardly ever at Man U! Perhaps EUFA should just scrap the league component of the competition!

Post edited at 09:35
 wbo2 29 Jun 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:  Not sure subbing off Benzema and Griezemann was so good in hindsight, but yes, bits of the France team turned off at 3-1 up..   You just knew Mbappe was going to get saved..  and I bet Pogba hurt afterwards.   Well done Switzerland for playing for the 120 minutes. 

Spain Croatia was a good game as well.. 13 goals yesterday.

Sean Kelly 29 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> Spain Croatia was a good game as well.. 13 goals yesterday.

O Level maths failure? 14 I  believe.

And should Southgate resign if we lose to the Germans?

Post edited at 09:40
 wbo2 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Correct.  Unlike me

No. Unless it's some particularly inept tactical subbing, but even then not really.  

I fear that we won't score enough - Kane season at Tottenham has been horrible preparation, and if you were to sub him for at 70 minutes who to bring on as a 'target man'?

mbh 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

England vs Germany at Wembley in a tournament.

Awesome!

Roadrunner6 29 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

It's got to be Dom Calvert Lewis but he's not even in the squad. That's very odd.

Bottom Clinger 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Heard an interesting idea: tired players with 5 subs coming on can skew the balance which could lead to plenty of goals and excitement - which we have witnessed. I reckon Southgate knows we have played too many games in a fast league, hence not trying too hard for big score lines. It’s like an alpine plod - slow and steady. 

The Norris 29 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> Correct.  Unlike me

> No. Unless it's some particularly inept tactical subbing, but even then not really.  

> I fear that we won't score enough - Kane season at Tottenham has been horrible preparation, and if you were to sub him for at 70 minutes who to bring on as a 'target man'?

Stirling to go central, grealish on for kane for some creativity and to thread the passes through to run onto. We seem to have a fear of crossing it so not much point in having a big target man imo.

In reply to The Norris:

I wonder if too much crossing = too much lost possession. 
I think we edged the first half. Could be a good game for our subs:  lots of technique and speed on the bench. 

The Norris 29 Jun 2021

You have a point. Just feels like we get in a good position on the wing, then turn round and pass it back to the keeper. I'm not sure that's much more effective than getting a 50 50 cross into the box?

Kane looks very ‘leggy’, possibly our weak link. Grealish on soonish

Get Grealish on…..

In reply to Christheclimber:

He heard you!

Te he. Surprised he took Saka off though

Roadrunner6 29 Jun 2021

Kane is still a good footballer and better when he comes deep, too immobile up front at the moment.

Sean Kelly 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Magic!!!

Sean Kelly 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Muller...OMG!!!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

KANE!!!!! Yes 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Triple magic !!

Sean Kelly 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

That hopeless player Kane strikes again

I'm  freaking!!! So much for the group of death. Nearly all gone. They are now!

Post edited at 18:53
Roadrunner6 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Job done, looked solid enough. Need more movement up front, when we got runners up ahead we scored the goals.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

The lack of runners might be part of the reason why we’ve not conceded (obvs great goalkeeper keeping and defending being main reason). Southgate has them disciplined, more than previous teams with higher profile players. 

Roadrunner6 29 Jun 2021

Yeah it’s a tough balance. Against Scotland we just didn’t have movement. I thought we controlled the game well after the first 10-15 minutes. But that’s quite an average German team so no need to get carried away.

squarepeg 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Ingerlund Ingerlund Ingerlund 

RobAJones 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

>  But that’s quite an average German team 

in the past even poor German teams have got to finals

> so no need to get carried away.

With our press, no chance

In reply to RobAJones:

> in the past even poor German teams have got to finals

>  With our press, no chance

The commentary afterwards was as if we had beaten Germany in the final. 
Suppose no harm - we all need positivity at the moment. 

MonkeyPuzzle 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Sure, they're not the greatest German side of even recent memory but even I have to admit Southgate's game plan was spot on.

Darron 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

1966, July 30th. Two young lads, twins. They think it’s all over! Such a young age, such joy! 

1970. 2-0 up. Gerd Muller breaks our hearts and the 13 yr old tears flow.

Of course life goes on. For the twins that life is climbing. Week after week. Year after year. Our lives. Again, such joy. 

The mountains have claimed one of the twins. Of course life has to go on. ‘90 & ‘96 followed. Germany!!

Today. Such joy!! 

For some reason old tears flow.

OP Babika 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Ukraine - Sweden taking a long time to decide who's facing England? 120 mins seems to be draining both sides with plenty of ice packs coming out. 

Bring on the penalties ....

Yanis Nayu 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Knacker them out👍

OP Babika 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Spoke too soon!

Roadrunner6 30 Jun 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Sure, they're not the greatest German side of even recent memory but even I have to admit Southgate's game plan was spot on.

Because we won.. It was one of those days where we got the break and scored then nicked another and he's a tactical genius. Had we not scored or Muller had scored his we'd have said he should have been more aggressive. 

But it came good for him. I expect we'll play the same way next round. We're good going forwards (when we do try to) and create chances but we still give away a few big chances, simple balls down the middle caught us out 2-3 times.

Roadrunner6 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

shocking tackle.

kipper12 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Darron:

Just a plea to the news editors, no more tuneless renditions of three lions 

Michael Hood 30 Jun 2021
In reply to all:

One thing I noticed about both England goals, where was Kane for Stirling's goal and visa versa.

The answer is "right behind them" (from the ball's perspective which means just to the right from our perspective).

So if the first person there didn't connect with the cross, then the other one would have had a good chance of scoring.

This impressed me as much as the goals themselves.

And now a bit of a rant...

It really annoys me when commentators say something like "how could he miss that from 4 yards/metres out" when the player was obviously just outside the goal area which means they must be at least 6 yards (5.5 metres) away.

earlsdonwhu 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

My rant is ( as I predicted to a mate would happen) that a win is being linked by some with a Brexit bonus. 

OP Babika 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yep that 2nd goal Sterling would definitely have poked in if it had slid past Kane. 

But I'm still not really convinced by Kane, I'd like to see him dragging the defenders around a bit more

Michael Hood 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

> But I'm still not really convinced by Kane, I'd like to see him dragging the defenders around a bit more

Doesn't appear to be firing on all cylinders but the problem for our perception is, we've seen what he can do, but we don't know exactly what the manager's asked him to do.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> shocking tackle.

Assuming you mean the one by the Swede...

I agree with Gary Lineker here - watch it at full speed and with eyes on the Swede and it looks like a very nasty but totally accidental collision rather than dangerous play. Slow it down and concentrate on the legs only and it looks much worse.

Alan

MonkeyPuzzle 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Because we won.. It was one of those days where we got the break and scored then nicked another and he's a tactical genius. Had we not scored or Muller had scored his we'd have said he should have been more aggressive. 

And if that had happened that narrative would be an unproven counter-factual. The Muller chance was a complete aberration from a Sterling mistake, not from a tactical weakness.

> But it came good for him. I expect we'll play the same way next round. We're good going forwards (when we do try to) and create chances but we still give away a few big chances, simple balls down the middle caught us out 2-3 times.

The first ten minutes we didn't get started but once we got a foot on the ball it was relatively comfortable. Germany have some brilliant players so of course they'll get chances but we pretty much stopped them, took control and then turned it up a notch once Grealish came on.

Ukraine I've honestly not watched much but if Zinchenko is going to be playing that left wing back role I can see us playing the same system again. Depends what team they put out following what seemed like a lot of injuries.

MonkeyPuzzle 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yeah, otherwise we're effectively telling defenders they can't clear a ball they're easily beating an attacker to. The Ukrainian player kicking the ball then kneeing Berg in the head shortly afterwards was just as deserving of a red card - I say that's "not deserving in the slightest" but I can't see how the ref can differentiate.

Dave Garnett 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Because we won.. It was one of those days where we got the break and scored then nicked another and he's a tactical genius. Had we not scored or Muller had scored his we'd have said he should have been more aggressive. 

Yes, cue days of microanalysis of the essentially random!  I know nothing about football but Gareth Southgate (certainly by the standards of many managers) seems thoughtful, articulate, knowledgeable, competent and decent.  That would be just as true this morning if they had lost.  

GrahamD 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

To think we could have had Big Sam.

Roadrunner6 30 Jun 2021

I thought it was a red due to the recklessness, studs showing and out of control lunge. I didn’t think winning the ball is any defense to that. Maybe wrong. 

I play old man football (o35) so we have an extra offense of ‘excessive force’ (plus no slides) being a foul so we play under different rules so I’m not sure exactly, but I thought with the two footed challenges and out of control lunges winning the ball not relevant.

Roadrunner6 30 Jun 2021

> Yes, cue days of microanalysis of the essentially random!  I know nothing about football but Gareth Southgate (certainly by the standards of many managers) seems thoughtful, articulate, knowledgeable, competent and decent.  That would be just as true this morning if they had lost.  

I wasn’t his biggest fan but he’s winning me over. His big calls have paid off (Sako, Shaw, even bringing Maguire back, sticking with Sterling). I just like that this team doesn’t pick itself like the previous generations did. For most positions we genuinely have 2-3 players so just seems less egos. 

MonkeyPuzzle 30 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

To me it was a routine clearance and not a tackle. The Ukraine player didn't stand a chance of getting to it before the Swede and made a poor/brave/reckless decision to not pull out or take other evasive action. As awful as the injury looked on the replay, it was entirely an unfortunate accident as far as I can see. I remember a (West Ham?) player being sent off for similar in the league this year; made the clearance and the opposition player jumped into their raised foot as they were following through. Red card was rescinded on appeal, but that's of no help to the Swedes now they're out of course.

In reply to Babika:

If it had gone to Sterling he would have been flagged for offside

OP Babika 30 Jun 2021

>I remember a (West Ham?) player being sent off for similar in the league this year; made the clearance and the opposition player jumped into their raised foot as they were following through. Red card was rescinded on appeal, but that's of no help to the Swedes now they're out of course.

That was Balbuena. We also had a Tomas Soucek red card overturned on appeal. 

Unfortunately a red card totally tilts the balance in a game and I'm glad the refs in Euro 2021 are using them sparingly. Yesterday the Germans were surrounding the ref trying to get Declan Rice's yellow converted to a red. I hate to see that sort of cynical gamesmanship. It's quite rife in the Prem but seems to have been fairly absent in this tournament thank goodness

Bottom Clinger 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Having a squad of really good players might be even more important if/when some of them rack up enough yellows to miss a game. And with Southgate I get the feelin that the players know that if they play instead of a banned first choice player, and play well, Southgate may stick with them for the next game. 

Roadrunner6 01 Jul 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger: yeah I think Maguire and the central midfielders will be hard to replace - we do have Bellingham. Otherwise I think we have cover. 

Dewi Williams 01 Jul 2021

> Having a squad of really good players might be even more important if/when some of them rack up enough yellows to miss a game. And with Southgate I get the feelin that the players know that if they play instead of a banned first choice player, and play well, Southgate may stick with them for the next game. 

Not sure if Grealish would agree with that, is Southgate the only football fan in the country who doesn't think he should start against Ukraine. He might surprise me and pick him but I doubt it.

RobAJones 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> yeah I think Maguire and the central midfielders will be hard to replace - we do have Bellingham. Otherwise I think we have cover. 

With the possible exceptions of Belgium/Italy you'd have to fancy England's subs/reserves strongly against anyone else? Southgate is either going to get a knighthood or harangued for picking the "wrong" team. 

OP Babika 02 Jul 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

I've just seen the nationality of our refs and VAR refs for tomorrow. Oh dear......

Sean Kelly 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

> I've just seen the nationality of our refs and VAR refs for tomorrow. Oh dear......

Not French are they??? Oh, German. Is rated highly by EUFA though. We shall see...

Post edited at 16:04
 Mike Stretford 02 Jul 2021

Swiss equalise... game on!

wbo2 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Extra time and Spain get their shooting boots on... but no goal yet..

Ooohhhh!!!

elsewhere 02 Jul 2021

Swiss goalie is very good.

In reply to elsewhere:

Yeah, if it does go to penalties Sommer's definitely warmed up!

elsewhere 02 Jul 2021

> Yeah, if it does go to penalties Sommer's definitely warmed up!

His teammates not

In reply to elsewhere: Ah well.... at least they took it to penalties! Now only 15 mins to Italy - Belgium!

OP Babika 02 Jul 2021

That is a masterclass in how not to take penalties...

At least the misery is shared out

Bottom Clinger 02 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Just started watching Belgium Italy and seen my favourite goal of the tournament. Italy’s second: they had an attacking move that flopped, passing backwards to the goalie, broke forwards having opened up Belgium and then a wonder strike. A stonker. 

Post edited at 20:49

Now 2-1. Here’s hoping for fast and furious and physical and injury time and penalties.....

In reply to Babika:

Sure was!

2-1 Italy - Belgium, should be a good 2nd half.

And another thing...... players appealing to the ref once it's gone to VAR, what part of it don't they understand!

Maggot 02 Jul 2021

It was amazing to observe how a goal miraculously mended a broken leg.

Fair play on the 2nd goal, most players would have gone down on that slight trip outside the box but the boy carried on.

Sean Kelly 02 Jul 2021

> Just started watching Belgium Italy and seen my favourite goal of the tournament. Italy’s second: they had an attacking move that flopped, passing backwards to the goalie, broke forwards having opened up Belgium and then a wonder strike. A stonker. 

Don't know the name of the Italian forward who was seriously injured in the penalty box. Looked  as if his leg was mashed, but as soon as he realised Italy had scored, a miraculous recovery much like Lasarus. Very comical but distinctly trying to con the ref. A yellow card should have been served!

In reply to Sean Kelly and Maggot:

Agreed. Shocking play acting, thankfully a rare thing in this tournament. 

Bottom Clinger 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

I’ve just found a manky old packet of out of date mini chicken Kiev’s. Only two of them so lobbed them in the bin.

2-0 England. Any other omens or predictions?

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Don't know the name of the Italian forward who was seriously injured in the penalty box. 

Immobile.  Ciro Immobile.  Seriously. You couldn’t make it up.  

Sean Kelly 03 Jul 2021

>  

> Immobile.  Ciro Immobile.  Seriously. You couldn’t make it up.  

The DM I noted had him as the 'man of the match' if you can understand that logic. An Oscar would be more appropriate!

Post edited at 13:14
 The Norris 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Southgate shuffles the deck again, sancho starts! Been looking forward to seeing him play.

Fingers crossed for a good game

MonkeyPuzzle 03 Jul 2021
In reply to The Norris:

Yeah, I think Sancho must have wished he'd brought more books with him at one point.

Don't know what Grealish has to do to get another start though. It's like he plays well and is first name on the subs list as a reward.

Dave the Rave 03 Jul 2021

I’ve played 3 matches of 8 ball pool against Ukrainians today.

I won 2-1 after losing the first.

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Well, my roast peppers fell off the tray and landed on my mash spuds!

Sean Kelly 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Kane looks jaded...oh he's scored!!!

I’d sooner watch the peppers fall of your mash Will. This passing game is shite. Might put a video of Italia 90 on, the games dead for me beyond grass roots level.

I just went for a wee but ended up having a number two. More evidence of two nil. 

Really want Ukraine to score so that we( in the looset terms) can either start to play like Platt, Lineker, Gascogne or just go out on pens.

I just predicted exactly what happened!  Laughing our heads off. C’mon England !!!

Well you are right with your number two….

3-0!!!!!

OP Babika 03 Jul 2021

This is proving a great evening

Sean Kelly 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

God, if that Kane effort had gone in. Absolutely superb skill. Now it's 4!

In reply to Babika:

Loving it 

Philip 03 Jul 2021

We've finally found out what has held England back all these years.... Fans!

No fans and they play well.

If they don't even televise the next match they'll probably win the whole thing.

stevieb 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Philip:

I think it’s the 5 second meditation before kick off that’s making the difference 

Sean Kelly 03 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Good result but we mustn't get complacent as Denmark did put 8 past Moldova recently.

climbingpixie 03 Jul 2021
In reply to stevieb:

I have to say, England have been much more successful since they became Marxists.

Yanis Nayu 03 Jul 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

😂

In reply to climbingpixie:

If you listen careful, even the fans are chanting: Engels clap clap clap, Engels clap clap clap. 

Glyno 04 Jul 2021

not looking forward to Wednesday's semi - ITV have it, Lee Dixon co-commentating most likely

Bottom Clinger 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Glyno:

ITV?  Bugger. 

elsewhere 04 Jul 2021

Some people prefer TV plus their choice of radio commentary. 

veteye 04 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

I'm probably being a little dim, but apart from being on ITV, what time is the Kick-Off everyone?

OP Babika 04 Jul 2021
In reply to veteye:

> I'm probably being a little dim, but apart from being on ITV, what time is the Kick-Off everyone?

>  

Probally about 7am in the morning. 

I was quite amused that the Czech v Denmark build-up seemed to consist entirely of England discussion

Bottom Clinger 04 Jul 2021
In reply to veteye:

8 pm Tuesday then Wednesday (for England game). 

veteye 05 Jul 2021

Thank you.

I usually don't get to see much lead up to the games, due to working. (In answer to Babika)

Bottom Clinger 06 Jul 2021
In reply to veteye and anyone:

Italy vs Spain?  I know some folk will say, ‘here we go, another cocky England fan assuming they will get through to the next round etc etc’, but.....Italy have looked good from the start, Spain iffy, so hope Spain win tonight.  Hope it’s a good game though.

veteye 06 Jul 2021

I am not sure about us getting to the final, as Denmark are fired by a goal of carrying the torch for their heart damaged player, and have shown great flare at times.

In reply to veteye:

The Denmark game will be, for me, one of those nervy ones because we do have better players and have been playing well (and playing great tournament football - slowish start but confident and improving), but you’re right about Denmark and they are solid and organised. If you did a ‘player for player’ probably only their goalie would trump ours, but still a very good side. We do have a home advantage and I get a sense (that’s all, a sense) that our players won’t get as phased as other English teams playing at Wembley. 

Tyler 06 Jul 2021

Let’s face it, if England were to lose it would be a huge upset. They have home advantage, they are a better team, they are playing well, they have not had to travel or play extra time so are as rested as they could be. I’d also make the strong favourites for the final whoever they play. 

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Tyler:

> Let’s face it, if England were to lose it would be a huge upset. 

Before anyone else points it out, Wigan beating City in the Cup final was a huge upset. The odds suggest that bookies think a Denmark win is more than three times as likely. 

wilkie14c 06 Jul 2021

Both the Italian and Spanish sides have proven they can go through the extra time process unscathed, something England have yet to do yet

Maggot 06 Jul 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Mancini's getting his excuses in early... just in case. 😄

https://www.theguardian.com/football/euro-2020

Roadrunner6 06 Jul 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> Before anyone else points it out, Wigan beating City in the Cup final was a huge upset. The odds suggest that bookies think a Denmark win is more than three times as likely. 

Yeah it's a one off game, England 'should' win but Denmark have something special going on. I'd say England are favorites but they lost to Iceland and Croatia in their last two tournaments didn't they?

We saw Chelsea beat City, Villa Real beat Man Utd recently. And this tournament has been crazy in general.

In reply to RobAJones:

> Before anyone else points it out, Wigan beating City in the Cup final was a huge upset. 

I wouldn’t dream of pointing it out...

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Oddschecker have England 4/5 winners but drifting, Denmark 24/5 winners but shortening. I’m surprised England are so clear favourites TBH, perhaps that’s just the football pessimist in me. 

Roadrunner6 06 Jul 2021

Yeah in a one off game with this much pressure on I’d say it’s not that clear. Denmark have been very good since that first game when they were understandably distracted.

stevieb 06 Jul 2021

Both teams are in the top 10 of the fifa rankings. By ranking we’re 3rd best in Europe and Denmark are 7th so really not that much in it. 
We are quite rightly favourites, but the odds will reflect the size of the betting population as well as the probability. 

In reply to stevieb:

You’re right.
Anyway, here’s hoping for a full on, high scoring, energy sapping, drawing at full time, game won on penalties after they’ve broken the world record on penalties needed to win....for Spain. 

Pedro50 06 Jul 2021

Having picked up six injuries and two red cards.

In reply to Pedro50:

> Having picked up six injuries and two red cards.

I wouldn’t go that far. Well, not publicly....

I wonder which of them are on the ‘another yellow and you miss next game?’

In reply to footie fans: 

Great twenty minutes. Another 100 minutes at this pace would be good.  Seriously : bloody quick feet, skilful, both teams. 

In reply to Tyler:

> Let’s face it, if England were to lose it would be a huge upset. They have home advantage, they are a better team, they are playing well, they have not had to travel or play extra time so are as rested as they could be. I’d also make the strong favourites for the final whoever they play. 

Really? 

Spain- only 1 loss in last 29 matches, including beating Germany 6-0

Italy - last loss was in September 2018, 32 matches unbeaten since then.

England are good, maybe very good-  but going on recent records, and history of performance in major tournaments, I don’t see how they are better than a 50-50 bet again either of them.

OP Babika 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Yeah it's a one off game, England 'should' win but Denmark have something special going on. I'd say England are favorites but they lost to Iceland and Croatia in their last two tournaments didn't they?

> We saw Chelsea beat City, Villa Real beat Man Utd recently. And this tournament has been crazy in general.

My Spanish friend said the other day "it's incredible to see the English old school pessimism being turned into hope and encouragement"

An astute comment on our national fretfulness wrt football!

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

> My Spanish friend said the other day "it's incredible to see the English old school pessimism being turned into hope and encouragement"

I thought (1998 to2016) it was old school wild optimism/over confidence followed by bitter recriminations after an early exit.

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Both teams looking good: pacey, good ball skills, neat passing. It’s hurting my eyes watching it!

Maggot 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Question for the footie experts on here, going on first half, can England beat either of these two in the final?

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Maggot:

> Question for the footie experts on here, going on first half, can England beat either of these two in the final?

They can, for the first time since 1990 we have a team that have the technical ability to get a reasonable share of possession. I'd say it's 50/50. I worry about Rice/Phillips from that point of view but they are much better than their predecessors. As a City fan Walker/Stones (and Sterling given the Germany game) have the capacity to make the decisive mistake.

Second half has start even better than first

Roadrunner6 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Maggot:

> Question for the footie experts on here, going on first half, can England beat either of these two in the final?

Definitely. Both teams struggled at times. Switzerland gave Spain a game.

id not say favorites but very capable of beating them. But I’d wait for Denmark yet. They aren’t in the semi final by chance. It’s not a done deal at all.

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> As a City fan Walker/Stones (and Sterling given the Germany game) have the capacity to make the decisive mistake.

Is it a bit harsh to add Laporte to that list? 

In reply to Maggot:

We will be playing one of them anyway, just depends whether it’s on Saturday or Sunday. If it’s a Saturday, and our heads are down.......but if it’s a Sunday and our heads are up

wbo2 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika: really it's surprising its only 1-0 so far, but this game is a 50:50 mix of ama,ing high tempo football and horrible passing...

In reply to wbo2:

I know what you mean. It’s so high tempo errors being made. 1-1 !!!!!

Maggot 06 Jul 2021

I'm talking Sunday here babe.

Was Mancini the manager when this mystical Wigan cup occurred?

Bollocks!!!!  Spain score

OP Babika 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Maggot:

100% yes.

The squad have strength, depth and enough talent.

Confidence has grown with each match. 

We are actually looking like a team rather than a collection of talented individuals

There have been enough examples of creativity to break down a Spanish or Italian wall. 

And, we've yet to concede a goal from anyone. The defence set up really is impressive. 

In reply to Maggot:

Yup. He was sacked few days later. 

James Perch scored the year after to knock them out, and in 2018 Will Grigg scored to knock them out. We are their biggie team. 

Maggot 06 Jul 2021

Penalties coming up

My £2 coin says Italy.

Extralent !  

Liked that.

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021

> Yup. He was sacked few days later. 

I was surprised this wasn't brought up after the Belgium game. 

Extra time probably good for England /Denmark 

In reply to Maggot:

I’m going to say Marata score the winner, 27th minute of extra time. 

Maggot 06 Jul 2021

Palle

In reply to Maggot:

Usual boring as hell extra 30 minutes. Should be ditched and straight to pens after 90.  

Maggot 06 Jul 2021

I agree with Linekar, as he said the otherday, bin extra time and straight to penalties, all the players are knackered

That was a pointless 30 minutes.

RobAJones 06 Jul 2021
In reply to Maggot:

> I agree with Linekar, as he said the otherday, bin extra time and straight to penalties, all the players are knackered

Someone suggest penalties after 90 minutes determine the result if it is still a draw at the end of the extra time played afterwards. 

In reply to RobAJones:

Morata may need police protection given the grief he’s been given. 

Anyway, we now know we either play Spain on Saturday or Italy Sunday. 
Edit: good to see so many fans after the worries of lack of fans/atmosphere. 

Post edited at 22:44
 RobAJones 06 Jul 2021

> Morata may need police protection given the grief he’s been given. 

Thankfully he's Spanish not Columbian

The Norris 06 Jul 2021

Why would we play spain on Saturday?

Gonna be a tough game against Italy if we get through. Was a good game today, spain better on the whole but I think Italy had more threat when they broke out. Roll on tomorrow!!

Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021
In reply to The Norris:

I’m guessing that’s the 3rd placed play off. I don’t know if there is one in the euros.

Bottom Clinger 07 Jul 2021
In reply to The Norris:

> Why would we play spain on Saturday?

For some unknown reason I thought there was a third place play off, but there isn’t. 

OP Babika 07 Jul 2021

Really pleased if there is no 3rd place play off.

Its always the most pointless match and at the 2018 World Cup our match against Belgium was the most depressing miserable event. Nobody wanted to play and nobody really wanted to watch it.  

Mike Stretford 07 Jul 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: I think Babika's point stands..... there's some noticeable forced smiles and DeBruyne doesn't look like he want's to be there.

Tonight: hoping he starts the same starting 11. Denmark have strong defence and great goalie, but we might play with pace for first 15. Sterling and Shaw have been amazing, Sancho looks great, Denmark could struggle with these three and the threat of Kane. Pickford needs to concentrate - he has an error or two in him. 2-1 England. Kane header, Sancho from outside the box. 

Post edited at 14:07
 squarepeg 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

England doomed. It's written in the stars. 

Sean Kelly 07 Jul 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

> England doomed. It's written in the stars. 

No, it's because it's on ITV!

Squeaky bum time coming up...

Post edited at 19:34
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Atmosphere looks ace - wished I was there. 

Come On England!!!

Maggot 07 Jul 2021
In reply to squarepeg:

> England doomed. It's written in the stars. 

You could be right,  they're wearing Spurs kit 😄😄😄

Sean Kelly 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

1-1

A lively game. Come on England!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Kane looks good, sharpest I’ve seen him. 

Edit: what a stonking free kick!  

Post edited at 20:51
 Dave the Rave 07 Jul 2021

This is a good game

> This is a good game

And it’s about to get better I think. Or hope. Or whatever....

profitofdoom 07 Jul 2021

> This is a good game

It really is

In reply to profitofdoom:

I hate extra time. But, we look a bit fitter. This could be make or break for Southgate: we have a strong bench but have only made one sub. Denmark made five. 

Si dH 07 Jul 2021

Last 30 minutes we have been easily the better side. Before that I thought the commentary were over egging how well we played. Come on England. Would like to see He derson come on for ET.

Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Si dH:

I'd bring Sancho on not Foden, I think Sancho was unlucky not to start.

Si dH 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yes agree.

I really don't fancy pens with a young side and arguably the better keeper against us.

Sean Kelly 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Well if this goes to penalties I'm not watching...

Oh  a penalty!!!  Yeßssssssssss!

Post edited at 22:12

Me too, but I think it’s going to pens against Schmeichel……

We’re playing great, Danes defending well. 

Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I was just thinking that. I think I'll go walk my dog..

Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Not sure TBH.. I'd be pissed the other way.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Loving this. Borderline pen, but it was one. I predicted ‘Kane on the rebound’.  Danes don’t look like scoring. 

I pre empted that pen.?

elsewhere 07 Jul 2021

Phew!

Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021

I think England deserved to win. Soft penalty but played well after an awful 30 minutes. And the only team who looked like winning from half time onwards.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Evenly matched final. Sterling playing brilliant. Kane man of the match for me. Defo looks like he’s been rested. Pickers needs to ‘cool it man’.  
Here’s a good omen: I was born in 1966. That’s it. England win....

Sean Kelly 07 Jul 2021

Can we have a Russian linesman on Sunday?

RobAJones 07 Jul 2021

Surprised you got  a mention during commentary.

Thought their game management was good after going ahead.

Kane seemed more mobile than in the the opening games, will be important against Italy. 

Post edited at 23:11
Roadrunner6 07 Jul 2021

Pickford just seemed wild, that throw, the punch on a cross when it could have been a catch, and a few more. 

The management of the game for the last 5-10 minutes was brilliant for such a young team.

In reply to RobAJones:

> Surprised you got  a mention during commentary.

We all started singing my song  

Darron 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

He wasn’t Russian of course. A great quiz question to catch people out. Only matched by “In what year did the first Briton stand on the summit of Everest?” Most will answer “1953”.

OP Babika 07 Jul 2021

I don't think I've calmed down yet. It's been an emotional shouty evening. 

I'll wake up tomorrow and not quite believe we're in the Final. 

> Loving this. Borderline pen, but it was one. I predicted ‘Kane on the rebound’.  Danes don’t look like scoring. 

It wasn’t a rebound he played a one two of the keeper. Class.

Blue Straggler 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Let's go a full Tim Henman on Sunday and lose 3-1 

Roadrunner6 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

I went for a run after (US so it’s early evening) and just felt emotionally exhausted..

In reply to Babika:

Where's Tom?

Blue Straggler 08 Jul 2021
In reply to The worst job I ever had:

> Where's Tom?

Nous sommes tous Tom 

In reply to The worst job I ever had:

> Where's Tom?

Tom Daley?

Probably in talks with GB Diving Team management.  Looks to me like Sterling is after his place in Tokyo.

#itsgoingtorome

Post edited at 04:20
 Maggot 08 Jul 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Remind us all how far Scotland got 😄😄😄

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Probably the thinnest penalty in the tournament, but in the end, England deserved to win. 

But shame on the person who shone green laser light on Schmeichel !!

Dave Garnett 08 Jul 2021

> Here’s a good omen: I was born in 1966. That’s it. England win....

Yes, well done and all that (England did actually look like a proper side who could pass and everything) but wasn't the 1966 thing a World Cup?

Ciro 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

> Probably the thinnest penalty in the tournament, but in the end, England deserved to win. 

It was a blatant dive.

England were by far the stronger team at that stage in the game, but you don't deserve to win by diving to get the winning goal. 

If England had been knocked out by a Danish player doing that, England would have been apoplectic (and rightly so).

I was gobsmacked it wasn't overturned and Sterling cautioned - WTF is the point of VAR if not to root out cheating like that from the game?

summo 08 Jul 2021

> Yes, well done and all that (England did actually look like a proper side who could pass and everything) but wasn't the 1966 thing a World Cup?

Only in extra time, for the first 90mins they were all over place, lack of effort, slow to react, poor team work, keepers mind was elsewhere, to many failed selfish attempts at dribbling through when unmarked players were waving for the ball.

England sneaked through thanks to an own goal and a dubious penalty. They need to up their game on Sunday otherwise they might be humiliated. 

In reply to summo:

That’s harsh. Even as a Scot, I reckon that was a good performance by England. Yes, there were phases where Denmark were in the ascendancy, but they are a good side, and England defended well for the most part. And towards the end, Denmark were a spent force. The penalty was soft, but if you play for that long inside your own penalty box then you’re giving a hostage to fortune; you make your own luck, and England worked hard for theirs. 

You’re right about Pickford though- if it had gone to penalties, England were doomed…

Italy will be a tougher opposition, I don’t see them caving in like Denmark did, and they can surpass England in their ‘game management’ skills… but I don’t see any circumstances where England are humiliated, will be a close game, good chance of it ending up with penalties…

summo 08 Jul 2021

They pushed continually on the left, even when they faced with a wall of 5 or 6 Danes, on the right they had so much space and spare time, they were just dawdling and or waving. 

Shaw pointlessly gave away the free kick that led to Denmark only goal.

Harsh yeah, but they are extremely well paid professionals from some of the best clubs in world. 

Post edited at 08:53
 MonkeyPuzzle 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Ciro:

Penalties aren't awarded based on how easy a player goes down but on whether the defender committed a foul. Two challenged, neither got the ball, both made contact with Sterling and impeded him. Should have gotten two penalties. 

Tom Valentine 08 Jul 2021

Yes, if "earning free kicks " is regarded as a useful skill these days I'm sure the Italians will be our equal in that particular tactic.

> Penalties aren't awarded based on how easy a player goes down but on whether the defender committed a foul. Two challenged, neither got the ball, both made contact with Sterling and impeded him. Should have gotten two penalties. 

Should have had a penalty for the stonewaller on Kane in the second half. Once that went to VAR and wasn't overturned, there was no way the Sterling one was going to be reversed.

Alan

RobAJones 08 Jul 2021
In reply to summo:

> Only in extra time, for the first 90mins they were all over place, lack of effort, slow to react, poor team work, 

So plenty of room for improvement? If I was Italian that would worry me. 

>keepers mind was elsewhere,

That is a concern

>to many failed selfish attempts at dribbling through when unmarked players were waving for the ball.

But one that resulted in a penalty 

> England sneaked through thanks to an own goal and a dubious penalty.

Has any team got to a major final by winning every game comfortably? I don't think many have not needed penalties at some stage. 

>They need to up their game on Sunday otherwise they might be humiliated. 

Anything is possible (Germany v Brazil) but being humiliated seems very unlikely even if they play as "poorly" as they did last night

Post edited at 09:13
 summo 08 Jul 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

By humiliation I meant a 3-0 defeat. Pickford was lucky, you won't get away with passing the ball out to the opposition in the box very many times without goals being scored. 

Is England the new national treasure, that folk won't hear a bad word against!? 

Post edited at 09:29
OP Babika 08 Jul 2021

> Should have had a penalty for the stonewaller on Kane in the second half. Once that went to VAR and wasn't overturned, there was no way the Sterling one was going to be reversed.

> Alan

I agree. There were some uneven referring decisions. The Danes were hauling our players back all the time without any sanction but then on odd occasions the ref woke up and randomly gave a free kick. 

The Luke Shaw arm around, that led to the free kick, that led to the Danish goal was one. Why was that given when identical holding at the other end wasn't? 

And how one of the Danes escaped double yellow cards I'll never know. 

MOTM for me was Raheem. He simply never stopped. The only player still running rings round everyone after 120 mins. He's a superstar and it would be nice if he got the Golden Boot - but that needs a brace on Sunday

squarepeg 08 Jul 2021
In reply to Babika:

Italy will out cheat us in the final, we are doomed.

Cue drunken rioting, oh the nations shame. 

In reply to Ciro:

Not only a blatant dive but there were two balls on the pitch during the incident and then some dick shone a laser at the Danish goalie for the penalty.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-2021/2021/07/07/kasper-schmeichel-had-lase...

They should have the final in an empty stadium as a sanction against England fans for the laser incident and to ensure they don't try it again.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Yes, if "earning free kicks " is regarded as a useful skill these days I'm sure the Italians will be our equal in that particular tactic.

It very much is. As is simulation of injury- even the English commentators noted Saka had “done an Immobile” at one point- ie go down like a sack of spuds, lie there like an ambulance case, then spring up like a leaping salmon when  the ball came back his way… 

But England are still callow apprentices in this area compared to the true masters of the dark arts… Italy won their last World Cup by goading one of the greatest players of all time into a red card. Watch out on Sunday…

Sean Kelly 08 Jul 2021

> Should have had a penalty for the stonewaller on Kane in the second half. Once that went to VAR and wasn't overturned, there was no way the Sterling one was going to be reversed.

> Alan

My feelings exactly Alan. If that had been given then there would have been few complaints even from the Danes! To win a big comp you take any luck that's going.

OP Babika 08 Jul 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

You really live up to the Scottish chippie stereotype don't you?

I'm always thrilled when Scotland, Wales or NI do well in competitions. 

Heavens knows how you get through the Olympics when it's Team GB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
Loading Notifications...