European Breakdown Cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 20 Apr 2019

Can anyone recommend a European Breakdown cover for a trip to Font. I guess one with bells and whistles would be best so they bring the car back to the UK in the event of a real problem and provide a hire car. 

I might get an annual cover for some trips to Germany I have planned too if that would make any providers better than others.

Any recommendations would be very welcome- thanks!

remus Global Crag Moderator 20 Apr 2019
In reply to James Malloch:

Might be worth getting in touch with your car insurance provider. In the past I've managed to get much better european breakdown cover deals through them than I have going with AA, RAC etc.

skog 20 Apr 2019

Not 'bells and whistles', so maybe not what you're looking for - but the Nationwide FlexPlus current account costs £13 a month, has decent interest, a small overdraft that's fee free for a quarter of a year, gives access to a credit card which is really good for spending abroad, gives travel insurance for the family worldwide (not for mountaineering activites, though), UK and European breakdown insurance, and family mobile phone insurance worldwide.

If you're using several of these, it seems a reasonable deal; it clearly isn't worth is just for the breakdown cover on its own.

NottsRich 21 Apr 2019

A friend had a cambelt fail in the alps and write the engine off. The car was 'only' worth around £3k IIRC, but that was less than the cost to the breakdown company of recovering it to the UK. Long story short, it wasn't in the financial interest of the breakdown company to recover the car to be fixed, much to our surprise. Their advice was to scrap it there. They generously paid for flights back, but wasn't straightforward.

Just a pointer to avoid anyone else having the same problem. I can't remember which company, but it was one or other of the Big Two. 

Post edited at 15:19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...