Elterwater Quarry proposal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 felt 10 Jun 2022
 AukWalk 10 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:surely this has an approximately 0% chance of actually being allowed...

Potentially some kind of cover to try and increase support for whatever realistic alternative they're actually going to propose? 

Justaname 10 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:

Sounds to me like the 'roller coaster' is one of those toboggan rides like they have at Zip World near Betws-Y-Coed.

In reply to felt:

"These experiences will provide a fun way for guests to appreciate and enjoy the environment, without having to alter or change the existing landscape"

translates to : we've dug a great hole in the ground, shagged that part of the countryside but want to squeeze a bit more cash out of it without having to actually restore the land.

In reply to felt:

It must never be sanctioned, don't you know the lakes exists solely for middle class enjoyment. 

Maggot 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Classic bits of nimbyism in the op's link.

RobAJones 10 Jun 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> Classic bits of nimbyism in the op's link.

Cllr Lamb amused me.

Cllr Lamb, who lives in Chapel Stile and is building a house in Elterwater

He felt the surrounding area did not have the numbers of people available to provide staff and that it was not an area staff members would be able to afford to live in.

It will bring in more tourists, which we already cannot cope with, to the detriment to the environment in this area.

Curious thing to say. You think the lower classes can't appreciate unspoiled countryside, and the middle classes can't appreciate zip wires? That hasn't been my observation.

jcm

wercat 10 Jun 2022

> It must never be sanctioned, don't you know the lakes exists solely for middle class gridlock

correct

mik82 10 Jun 2022
In reply to RobAJones:

Classic. Man developing something in area doesn't want people developing things in area.

ExiledScot 10 Jun 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Curious thing to say. You think the lower classes can't appreciate unspoiled countryside

It's a quarry?

In reply to ExiledScot:

Sure, I understand, also that the Lakes countryside is largely manmade, but you take my point.

jcm

ExiledScot 10 Jun 2022

> Sure, I understand, also that the Lakes countryside is largely manmade, but you take my point.

If it's a poor idea with no public demand let them plough their money in and lose it. If it succeeds, then why not provide a more varied range of activities for visitors, it's not my thing at all, but I do think we get hung up on deciding how other people should enjoy themselves. 

magma 10 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:

great location for a protest camp- up there with the successful Stanton Moor quarry campaign

In reply to ExiledScot:

Well, because this stuff spoils the experience for other visitors. That's why we have planning laws.

jcm

ExiledScot 10 Jun 2022

> Well, because this stuff spoils the experience for other visitors. That's why we have planning laws.

More than having an active quarry there for the last however many years? 

In reply to ExiledScot:

Has it only just stopped working? I had the impression it had been a while. But anyway, to answer your question; I don't know - let's see how the planning process works.

jcm

ExiledScot 10 Jun 2022

I think perhaps we in the royal sense of climbers can be a bit elitist over certain activities. Besides as quarry is ok for a climbing wall at Ratho, bit not something else in the lakes, yeah the lakes is an NP but it's not a natural environment as you've already said. 

It would be about as intrusive as that jangly, shouty bunch of middle aged men in clothes designed for toddlers that disturb the peace and paint the cliffs white every dry spell.

Hoots of joy and laughter from a zip.wire or roller coaster or F, F, FTAKE TAKE TAKE ARGHH, F TAKE IN ON BLOOO JEFFREY.

Every activity has its impact on others. 

Wainers44 10 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:

Real shame to see the place closed. I remember dropping a crate of beers in there a few years back for the guys who were cutting some wonderful stone tops for the loos in a big office we were building in Exeter. 

So sad to see it derelict.  Not sure what should go there really.

In reply to ExiledScot:

I’m not sure where elitism comes into it, or indeed climbing. I prefer national parks to be reserved for peaceful outdoor activities because that’s what I like. Others presumably like roller coasters. I don’t see why that makes either group an elite.

jcm

No it wouldn’t. Honestly, what twaddle. Why do some climbers get off so on self-flagellating in this way?

jcm

sbc23 10 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:

The big building and associated junk currently in there is a right mess. A mini Eden project style history/museum thing would probably be quite good.

parking / access would clearly be a problem, but maybe it could operate from a park & ride base in Ambleside or even out on the run into Windermere. 

it may actually get some of the masses of folks who go on a ‘day out in the lakes’ (and never get more than 250yds from their car, see the house on the bridge and buy a Rab jacket), actually out into interesting bits.

a proper integrated public transport system using ferries, buses, narrow gauge railways, accessible footpaths & cycle ways would make lots of these type of things much more sensible.

the roads into grizedale for go ape etc are terrible. It would be far better for that area to be people & bikes only. 

birdie num num 11 Jun 2022
In reply to felt:

It's about time they got a McDonalds in Elterwater, instead of all that chintz and cream teas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...