Election Day 1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 06 Nov 2019

Day 1 and the Tories:

Release a doctored video of Kier Starmer. (shouldn't someone be prosecuted over this?)

Prevent a report about Russian interference being published.

Show they've built zero starter homes out of a promised 200,000, a promise made in 2015, so it's not like they haven't had plenty of time.

Abandon the promise to give MPs a vote on the transition extension.

Mogg attacked the victims of Grenfell

and Bridgen says they lacked intelligence.

Compared Corbyn to Stalin.

All seems to be going to plan, truth and honest, and a kinder politics.

* Thanks to David Schneider for some of the above.

What else do we have to look forward to?

Doug 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

is in only day 1 ? seems it has already gone on for ever

OP krikoman 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Doug:

> is in only day 1 ? seems it has already gone on for ever

wait till it's December It'll have gone on longer than Brexit 

Tyler 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Well the Alun Cairns story is a tricky one to get to the bottom of so will probably pass by unnoticed. In short govt minister lies about what he knew about a Welsh AM candidate who lied in court to get his rapist friend off.

Tringa 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Doug:

Yep, what a start. I guess the Tories are hoping get all the rubbish out of the way early on.

Anyone see James Cleverly's "defence" of the doctored Keir Starmer interview on Breakfast this morning?

According to him it was obviously edited(he repeatedly used 'editored' rather than doctored) and lighthearted. Oh, course it was and I'm sure he would be horrified if anyone seeing it had taken it seriously.

Dave   

pasbury 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

And yet many millions of people will still vote for them....

Harry Jarvis 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> Day 1 and the Tories:

> Release a doctored video of Kier Starmer. (shouldn't someone be prosecuted over this?)

When even the loathsome Piers Morgan considers this to be unfair, you have to conclude something has gone terribly wrong with the moral compass of whoever might be responsible for this. 

It also seems like a very stupid own goal. By attempting to make light of the editing of this video, the Tories are effectively giving the green light to anyone who choose to make up any random nonsense. They will have little by way of defence when similarly doctored videos appear to make Johnson, Rees-Mogg and their like appear terminally stupid. On the other hand, given Rees-Mogg's performance, it may no be necessary to resort to any creative doctoring.

Lusk 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

And why is it every time you see Big Job on TV, he's in a hospital somewhere?
If I was an NHS worker and he turned up on my ward, I'd tell him to F*ck Off.

I hope neilh's prediction comes true! God bless the Russians!

OP krikoman 06 Nov 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> And yet many millions of people will still vote for them....

Sadly, I think you might be right.

Naechi 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Day 1 received my obligitory "our only policy is to say no to indyref2 in Scotland, unlike labour!" The Scottish conservatives.  They are pretty lazy with their campaigning in Scotland.  Consistant though...

Bob Kemp 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> Compared Corbyn to Stalin.

If you're referring to the Daily Borisgraph front page, that was a thing of beauty, a collectors item. It had everything:  Comparing Corbyn to a man who killed millions, GCSE Media Studies fail layout complete with over-elaborate headline and complaint about finger-pointing whilst finger-pointing, and generally being Johnson’s Pravda.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/11/06/telegraphs-bizarre-front-page-boris-jo...

colinakmc 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I read a piece recently (can’t remember where but the Grauniad would be the prime suspect) suggesting that the Trump and Brexit campaigns both worked on the basis that trolling - saying something untrue or absurd - is just as effective as telling the truth as it will create a flurry of interest and reinforce their core constituencies regardless of content, possibly because he impression of  it is retained in the mind for longer.

so I think we can expect a lot more, e.g. of Corbyn being an IRA Gun runner etc.

In reply to colinakmc:

> I read a piece recently (can’t remember where but the Grauniad would be the prime suspect) suggesting that the Trump and Brexit campaigns both worked on the basis that trolling - saying something untrue or absurd - is just as effective as telling the truth as it will create a flurry of interest and reinforce their core constituencies regardless of content, possibly because he impression of  it is retained in the mind for longer.

> so I think we can expect a lot more, e.g. of Corbyn being an IRA Gun runner etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-50160148

Possibly not what you meant but does illustrate how quickly the bullshit can rack up, once those who can't do any discerning for themselves (or checking a legit source), get their teeth into something. 

In reply to Bob Kemp:

> Compared Corbyn to Stalin.

> If you're referring to the Daily Borisgraph front page, that was a thing of beauty, a collectors item. It had everything:  Comparing Corbyn to a man who killed millions, GCSE Media Studies fail layout complete with over-elaborate headline and complaint about finger-pointing whilst finger-pointing, and generally being Johnson’s Pravda.

It's full Godwin*! Straight off the bat. You never go full Godwin!

* I know it isn't really Godwin's Law.

elsewhere 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Tyler:

> Well the Alun Cairns story is a tricky one to get to the bottom of so will probably pass by unnoticed. In short govt minister lies about what he knew about a Welsh AM candidate who lied in court to get his rapist friend off.

Strange story. You'd think it would be perjury and it is a rape case rather than a traffic offence so a very serious example of perjury. I wonder if there is a retrial for rape due as the reporting is wierdly vague and incomplete.

Post edited at 12:13
 Bob Kemp 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

It strikes of desperation doesn't it? Is that all he can come up with? That's the kind of thing you chuck in near the end of a campaign when you're afraid it's all slipping away from you. Maybe Dominic Cummings isn't the strategic mastermind he's talked up to be. 

Bob Kemp 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Tyler:

Maybe the Cairns story won't go unnoticed now - he's just resigned. 

Tyler 06 Nov 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

>  I wonder if there is a retrial for rape due as the reporting is wierdly vague and incomplete.

The BBC report says "Hackett was subsequently convicted of rape". I assumed this was a retrial but I guess could have been a different case.

Ian W 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Tringa:

> Yep, what a start. I guess the Tories are hoping get all the rubbish out of the way early on.

> Anyone see James Cleverly's "defence" of the doctored Keir Starmer interview on Breakfast this morning?

> According to him it was obviously edited(he repeatedly used 'editored' rather than doctored) and lighthearted. Oh, course it was and I'm sure he would be horrified if anyone seeing it had taken it seriously.

yes, I saw that. He was clearly reading from a script (except I cant remember him saying "Get Brexit Done" once, so perhaps he wasnt....) and looked very very uncomfortable, as he tried to laugh off the clearly indefensible.

Robert Durran 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

While I think it is just about possible to put Rees Mogg's Grenfell comments down to carelessness and clumsiness rather than anything actually nasty, my jaw dropped at the despicable Bridgen's extraordinarily revealing defence of him.

Robert Durran 06 Nov 2019

With their "exclusive launch" of the Tory campaign, at least the Telegraph has come clean that it no longer even makes the pretence of being a serious newspaper.

Post edited at 13:04
In reply to Lusk:

> And why is it every time you see Big Job on TV, he's in a hospital somewhere?

> If I was an NHS worker and he turned up on my ward, I'd tell him to F*ck Off.

They did. Boris got booed out of his failed PR stunt at Addenbrookes Hospital by patients and staff. The establishment media chose not to mention this. How much more Tory ineptitude do they try to cover up?

Post edited at 13:07
 Alex@home 06 Nov 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

It wasn't perjury. He made comments about the victim's sexual history which the judge had said (IIRC) were specifically inadmissable. So nothing untrue but done deliberately to make the jury think less of the victim.

The judge said, paraphrasing slightly, "What did you do that for you tw@t? No fk off out of my court"

So we have the Tory candidate deliberately messing up a trial and a tory (now ex) minister who lied about whether he knew about it.

And, digressing somewhat, the delightful Gower MP who said she thought that the people on Benefits Street should be out down.

Tories really out to win votes in Wales!

elsewhere 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Alex@home:

Thanks, that makes much more sense than what I thought.

earlsdonwhu 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Kay Burley's treatment of James Not So Cleverley who chickened out of an interview is priceless.

pasbury 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

I was listening to PM on the way home and my jaw dropped when Bridgen started his spiel about how well educated Rees-Mogg was and how he was leadership material so would probably have ignored fire service advice and that's precisely the sort of chap we need in charge of all us non-etonian plebs.

Maybe this lot in the cabinet will commit electoral suicide just by opening their mouths.

Also see the unfortunately named James Cleverly.

Post edited at 14:35
 wercat 06 Nov 2019
In reply to colinakmc:

on another thread I coined a new acronym for the infowar age

"disinformation that is possible via social media (Lie Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Rumour) like this  about the Lib Dems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-50160148

"

This fits the dirty trollkrieg model

And this is war, make no mistake

Post edited at 15:51
 Toerag 06 Nov 2019
In reply to cumbria mammoth:

> They did. Boris got booed out of his failed PR stunt at Addenbrookes Hospital by patients and staff. The establishment media chose not to mention this. How much more Tory ineptitude do they try to cover up?

...and someone somewhere else was told she wasn't allowed to ask him questions too. She managed to get some off outside afterwards though

Removed User 06 Nov 2019
In reply to pasbury:

I'd love to see one of these Tory Ubermensch standing outside a foodbank explaining to the users why they have to wait five weeks before they get any money.

pasbury 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

In a highly orchestrated campaign I guess that's unlikely. I'm looking forward to the unorchestrated moments when the tone changes, we've had a few of those on the last two days but they'll be forgotten.

One thing about Corbyn is that he doesn't seem susceptible to a bacon sandwich eating moment or a fall in the sea and stick the v's up moment.

The Tories seem more fragile somehow, perhaps because they are all fundamentally living a lie and enduring the cognitive dissonance that brings.

Tringa 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Alex@home:

> It wasn't perjury. He made comments about the victim's sexual history which the judge had said (IIRC) were specifically inadmissable. So nothing untrue but done deliberately to make the jury think less of the victim.

It is debatable whether there was anything untrue in what he said. The BBC account of the story -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50302173

includes, "He told the court he had a casual sexual relationship with the complainant - which she denied..."

Dave

elsewhere 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Tringa:

Just because it's true doesn't mean it can be said in court. You're not generally allowed to influence the jury with sexual history of complainant (or criminal record of the accused).

Post edited at 19:57
 Tringa 06 Nov 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> Just because it's true doesn't mean it can be said in court. You're not generally allowed to influence the jury with sexual history of complainant (or criminal record of the accused).

I was only commenting on the truth (or not) of what he said. Its not possible to say there was nothing untrue in what he said.

However, irrespective of the truth or not, I agree he knew very well that he should not have commented on the sexual history of the complainant, as did the judge who told him where to go(in suitable terms).

Dave

OP krikoman 06 Nov 2019

> I'd love to see one of these Tory Ubermensch standing outside a foodbank explaining to the users why they have to wait five weeks before they get any money.

Me too, I've seen some real heartbreaking interviews with people who've been f*cked by this useless scheme. A scheme so shit it can't deal with people being paid a few days early because of bank holidays.

OP krikoman 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Weirdly (or maybe not I don't know), the thing that's got me the most angry, is the doctoring or "editing" of the interview with Starmer. I can sort of understand the other shit, it's still bad but it's almost half expected, the video thing is truly horrible though.

Alex@home 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Tringa:

I missed that bit. 

Good point well made

Removed User 06 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I think the details of Russian donations to the Tory party are worth sharing today.

https://theferret.scot/russian-donors-conservative-party/

£3.5 million in the last decade.

OP krikoman 06 Nov 2019

> I think the details of Russian donations to the Tory party are worth sharing today.

> £3.5 million in the last decade.

Which is probably why they're laundering so much money through London and hiking house prices up so high.

Lusk 07 Nov 2019

> I'd love to see one of these Tory Ubermensch standing outside a foodbank explaining to the users why they have to wait five weeks before they get any money.

Aye, I'd like them to clarify the Tory mantras of we've got all time record employment and 1% of the population pay 25% of the tax ...

Takes 30 seconds to scratch through those headlines ....

In reply to krikoman:

This is an actual Tory candidate:

https://twitter.com/kyleakthornton/status/1192111740688982016

It's the parents I blame: can you imagine sending a poor wee kid like that away down to Westminster to hang out with Tories.  

neilh 07 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

More fun and entertainment.

OP krikoman 07 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

> More fun and entertainment.

Not so much of either really, I'm really sad we seem to have, not so much drifted but, run head long into a situation based on more  and more lies, and deceitful campaigning, and it appears no one give a toss about it.

Not so long ago everyone's up in arms about MPs not respecting each other, and yet a whole party can try and make Starmer look like an imbecile, when he's most likely run rings around a good many of them.

It was personal and uncalled for, and blatant lies, yet I didn't see it mentions on the 10 o'clock news, other stuff was but not that.

neilh 07 Nov 2019
In reply to krikoman:

You are going to be in for a hard few weeks.

The dark side of me laughs at all these wild promises and faux pas from both sides which neither can keep.We should have a post on the most outlandish and idiotic things, it will help with our sanity.Bridgen on JRM was a classic.I could not keep a straigh face.

Its the Tories turn this week. It will be Labours next. Has an air of enivatibility about it.

Post edited at 13:31
 Tringa 07 Nov 2019
In reply to neilh:

A short and interesting take on the present situation here from the other side of the Pond -

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/coming-brexit-far...

Dave

Darron 07 Nov 2019

> I think the details of Russian donations to the Tory party are worth sharing today.

> £3.5 million in the last decade.

Tad ironic that Boris compares Corbyn to Uncle Joe whilst taking money from the Russians!

Pete Pozman 08 Nov 2019

> While I think it is just about possible to put Rees Mogg's Grenfell comments down to carelessness and clumsiness rather than anything actually nasty, my jaw dropped at the despicable Bridgen's extraordinarily revealing defence of him.

The carelessness was in letting the mask slip. He really does think that he's superior. Reminds me of Trump saying he would have gone in unarmed after the shooter at Parkland school.

Bridgen then goes on to say the country needs clever people like Mogg. If he is so clever then why can't he make a simple judgement about when to keep his mouth shut. 

> They did. Boris got booed out of his failed PR stunt at Addenbrookes Hospital by patients and staff. The establishment media chose not to mention this. How much more Tory ineptitude do they try to cover up?

Another one here. Nothing is too petty for the establishment media to attack Jeremy Corbyn over on Remembrance Sunday but they take great care to cover up disrespect to the fallen from the Tory PM in the run up to an election.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-boris-johnson-brexit-wre...

Robert Durran 11 Nov 2019

> Another one here. Nothing is too petty for the establishment media to attack Jeremy Corbyn over on Remembrance Sunday but they take great care to cover up disrespect to the fallen from the Tory PM in the run up to an election.

Are you seriously suggesting Johnson did it deliberately out of disrespect for the dead? FFS. I really do despair at the shit being dug by both sides in this election.

Yanis Nayu 11 Nov 2019

I think the point is that if Corbyn had done it he’d have been slaughtered by the dominant right wing press. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I think the point is that if Corbyn had done it he’d have been slaughtered by the dominant right wing press. 

Maybe, but that does not mean anyone should stoop to their level and make absurd accusations of disrespect against Johnson 

The point is the double standard from our media. Especially when this is coming from the BBC which sets itself up as a guardian against fake news. That's exactly what they have accused Corbyn of for less previously but for Johnson they have not just ignored it but purposefully hidden it. 

> The point is the double standard from our media. Especially when this is coming from the BBC which sets itself up as a guardian against fake news. That's exactly what they have accused Corbyn of for less previously but for Johnson they have not just ignored it but purposefully hidden it. 

So do you agree that Johnson was not being disrespectful?

And maybe you could remind me what Corbyn has been accused of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...