Editing text on UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 29 May 2020

Is it just me and my pixel4 phone?

When typing text to reply to a post I don't have much of an issue.

However if I then try and edit the text it becomes a nightmare. Sometimes stuff gets overwritten, other times it appears in the wrong part of the sentence, sometimes words or parts of words duplicate themselves.

FactorXXX 29 May 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Never any had such problems and definitely haven't had words duplicate duplicate themselves.

Post edited at 12:52
 Jamie Wakeham 29 May 2020

Very similar on my pixel 1, but I think the problem exists even when first writing a post too... Everything is fine with the predictive text as long as there isn't already text following where you are writing.

But if I go back and edit it, and try to insert words into a space where there is further text already written, thentthen thishthis happens.

Removed User 29 May 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Yes, exactly as you describe.

Removed User 29 May 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

What phone do you use?

Luke90 29 May 2020

Yes, often happens if I try to go back in the text I've already written to change something. Quite annoying. I find it happens a lot less, or maybe not at all, if you make sure there's a space between any text you're adding and existing text. Haven't encountered it on any other websites. But then there aren't many other websites where I regularly use my phone to enter text.

(Not on a pixel, by the way. Nokia Android. So it's a wider issue than just pixels.)

It's Google keyboard, I think; I have the same problem, and not just on UKC. If you edit text, the cursor jumps after you hit space, words are deleted, or partially deleted. It's a crap bit of coding in their predictive text engine, I think.

JohnBson 29 May 2020

If there's paragraphs nightmareanightmare 

Iget the same

JohnBson 29 May 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

Shoddy UX design.

Jamie Wakeham 29 May 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

I think you're right. I've just replicated the problem on a couple of other sites. Odd that I only really notice it here, but maybe I only tend to write (and more importantly go back over and alter) lots of text here!

marsbar 29 May 2020

Test.  

No. I have had problems elsewhere but not here.  

1) On an iPad. Safari 

2) Now on my Samsung phone no problem. Samsung own browser

Funny thing is I have had that problem with iPad only on Facebook before.  How odd. 

3) Will try via Chrome next.  

No issues.  However Chrome on phone appears to use same keyboard presumably Samsung.  

Post edited at 14:27
 Offwidth 29 May 2020

I also get the Google keyboard problem. To get round it you just have to be careful. Place the cursor before a space where you want to edit and things work OK. Place the cursor at the start of a word and things go wrong with doubled words etc.

Removed User 29 May 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

> I also get the Google keyboard problem. To get round it you just have to be careful. Place the cursor before a space where you want to edit and things work OK. Place the cursor at the start of a word and things go wrong with doubled words etc.

Yes, I do try to be careful but even then I regularly get errors.

I don't see the same problem on either Facebook or Twitter. 

elsewhere 29 May 2020

I alsohalso exactly the same error.

As you can see above.

Chrome on Android.

Perhaps UKC could add a cookie preference to switch JavaScript library used for editor or a plain text option.

Post edited at 23:23

Same here on iPhone/safari. No issue on other sites. Frequently my cursor marker thing sits between lines, and where it sits appears completely unrelated to where text might actually appear when I start typing. I fairly often give up trying to reply to things as it’s too infuriating unless it’s a very short message. 

wintertree 29 May 2020

I’d always assumed it was an iOS error; cursor lands in the wrong place but when I press a key it sorts itself out - apart from a spurious character insertion I then delete with backspace.

Removed User 30 May 2020
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> I fairly often give up trying to reply to things as it’s too infuriating unless it’s a very short message. 

Yes, I put up this post after doing exactly that.

I've got a Pixel 4 too. I'll see if I can improve this, thanks for highlighting it.

oldie 30 May 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I have the problem on my PC in Google Chrome (no smartphone). I'll try your solution.

I often type in Notepad/Word anyway and copy and paste to UKC, which gives me a chance to leave my reply and correct it or make it more sensible later. (Actually it often doesn't seem to improve those things much.    ).

In reply to wintertree:

Yeah this is what I often get. Nice to know I’m not alone - I assumed it was my aging phone

Hooo 30 May 2020

Me too. I always wondered if it was just me. Google keyboard, Chrome on Android. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...