Eastern European eBay purchases

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 18 Feb 2020

I have recently bought a number of merino baselayers and outdoor trousers on eBay from Bulgaria, Lithuania etc. They are good Scandinavian brands (Bergans, Kari Traa, Kask etc) and sold as used. When they arrive they look like they can only have been used once at the most, they are in amazing condition. It has occurred to me though that there is so much out there that maybe I am funding some sort of scam or other illegal activity? Does anyone know the market and know where this stuff is likely to come from? 

Timmd 18 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey: Aha, you've seen the same sellers I have by the sounds of it. Credit to you for wondering. 

Post edited at 12:40
OP girlymonkey 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

I certainly hope they are legitimate, as the kit is amazing and really cheap! 

Timmd 18 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey: I'm a size 12 in female merino base layers I found in a charity shop, if nothing comes up it's where I'll probably go for when I need to buy any more. A base layer is a base layer.

At least there's the environmental plus of them being second hand I suppose, maybe one can't win them all.

Post edited at 12:56
In reply to Timmd:

Great find for a charity shop!! I have never come across any in our local ones. I have found a helly warm before, but never a merino one. 

Yes, I am trying as far as possible to only buy second hand kit, but have lost a lot of weight this year I have been buying stuff constantly as I change shape. Apart from the fact that constantly buying kit is expensive, it's also not good for the environment. Finding this treasure trove of great kit on ebay has made a huge difference, but it is now getting me worried about what the source of it is. The fact that it's not just from a couple of people but quite widespread throughout several Eastern European countries gives me hope that it is ok.

Timmd 18 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey: It was just a wool top which is soft enough to wear next to the skin as a winter one, or a single layer during the summer and autumn under a windproof. Quite handy.

Rob Exile Ward 18 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

You know what the answer is. If something seems to good to be true - it is.

I'm all for 2nd hand though, I'm just a bit embarrassed shopping at our local charity shops! 

In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> You know what the answer is. If something seems to good to be true - it is.

Generally that is the case, but not always with second hand stuff. There is someone on here from whom I have bought a number of excellent icebreaker tops and I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of it. But maybe you are right, maybe I am trying to convince myself because I like what I am getting from these people on ebay.

> I'm all for 2nd hand though, I'm just a bit embarrassed shopping at our local charity shops! 

Why on earth would you be embarrassed to shop in charity shops?! They are the best shops in town, so much more variety in what they are selling, cheap as chips and the money goes to a good cause. I always start with charity shops when buying anything, then if I can't find what I need I will try ebay or facebook marketplace, and at a last resort I go to the chain shops. I tend not to find much in the way of outdoor kit in them, but for town clothes they are the best. (I do think there is a better selection of women's clothes available than mens though, which is unfortunate)

Timmd 18 Feb 2020

> I'm all for 2nd hand though, I'm just a bit embarrassed shopping at our local charity shops! 

It's not where we shop, and it's 'being green' too.

Edit: My Dad has moved to near the Cotswolds, and has mentioned going to one or two large homes and finding people answering the door wearing a down vest to save on heating bills, we all fart and burp and poo and vomit the same, and end up in the same place when we die, is how I see it, meaning things like status are a collective illusion to not give too much thought to. 

Edit 2: Imho

Post edited at 14:43
 Timmd 18 Feb 2020

Edit: ''not 'about' where we shop'' that should be. 

BnB 18 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> Edit: My Dad has moved to near the Cotswolds, and has mentioned going to one or two large homes and finding people answering the door wearing a down vest to save on heating bills, we all fart and burp and poo and vomit the same, and end up in the same place when we die, is how I see it, meaning things like status are a collective illusion to not give too much thought to. 

Those big old manor houses are draughty and you can't replace the single pane sash windows with uPVC on account of planning rules, or plain good taste.

Timmd 18 Feb 2020
In reply to BnB: I know there is strict planning consent around there, but there are modern alternatives which look just the same but are draught proof too. It was more of a comment on status and perceived wealth and perception and things.

Post edited at 18:44
 Bacon Butty 19 Feb 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Why on earth would you be embarrassed to shop in charity shops?! They are the best shops in town, so much more variety in what they are selling, cheap as chips and the money goes to a good cause.

Absolutely.
Happened to go in one today because the wife was looking for something.
Just picked up a No 4 Trangia set, mint, unused condition for a fiver!

Which is really handy because I can't find my old one and I'm to Orkneys next month and didn't fancy surviving on cold haggis

Timmd 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord: There's nothing wrong with being thrifty and green(er). 

wercat 19 Feb 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

My companion on many a winter day in the last few years is a Cassin Extreme axe with a nice Alpine droop from Oxfam, sometimes used with a little-worn Camp Golden Eagle from ebay. They punch well above the weight they cost.

The traditional pick on the Oxfam axe makes long glissades a breeze

Post edited at 17:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...