Early Adopters - Share your experiences

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lemony 17 Mar 2020

As more and more of us start to catch Coronavirus it occurred to me that it might be useful to have a thread where we can share our experiences of having it and in so doing, a.) help people prepare and b.) give a realistic picture of what it's like.

My girlfriend and I are untested but pretty confident that we have CV, we basically have perfect symptom matches and she's a doctor who has likely come into contact with CV patients. We're both in our mid thirties with no complicating factors so we're lucky enough to be very low risk.

The illness

I'd characterise the illness as being like a pre-smoking-ban hangover. Tight, burning chest; temperature; persistent, niggly cough which never quite shifts things; drifting headache which sits behind your eyes and occasionally makes the world go woozy. My girlfriend is totally exhausted, like post-nights exhausted, and is significantly worse than me so far, she did get it first though.

That being said... For us it really isn't that bad. I'd say much less of an inconvenience than an average winter cold. This is important and sobering because under normal circumstances I'm almost certain I'd be in the office right now and we know what the consequences of that would likely be. As it stands I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home without a problem and so have continued to do so.

Isolation

We hadn't made any specific preparations for quarantine but we're greedy foodies so we have a wide variety of achingly middle class food (and booze) at our disposal. The only things I wish we had more of are cheese, peanut butter and coffee. There's no Sainsbury's delivery slot this side of the end of days so we might be calling in favours from mates by the end of the week. We're also lucky in that we have a lot of local shops and vendors who are willing to deliver to isolated people if needed. I'd suggest you keep an eye on who these might be in your area.

The number one thing we'd encourage people to think about which we didn't is their pets. We live on the edge of a massive park and have a dog which we take out 3-4 times a day under normal circumstances. Obviously we've not been able to do this. Our solution has been to take her for very short walks very early in the morning and late at night and make a conscious effort not to touch anything or encounter other people and then in the day put her into the car and drive somewhere very remote and have her run around as much as possible before driving back. Ideally we would have handed her over to someone else as soon as we suspected we might be ill but we didn't. I'd suggest that anyone with a pet start to make plans now for this scenario.

---

Anyway, I thought that might be helpful to some of you.

Sam (feeling like a total fraud in isolation)

Blue Straggler 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Very good post and a good initiative (starting the thread). I am not an early adopter but I’ll keep an eye on other peoples’ contributions to the thread, I expect it to be very instructive 

stp 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Really interesting to get a personal perspective. Keep us updated and hope you get well soon.

Alyson 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

I had a strong feeling that we'd had CV in our household in December, and yesterday learned of a probable infection pathway via a close friend who's mate came back from China with a virus at the very end of November. The mutual friend is a doctor in geriatric care at a major hospital and not given to melodrama. If he says we've probably had coronavirus already then I believe him!

We're a family of 4. Both children are under 10. They had high temperatures and headaches, and felt unwell for about 3 days. Husband had a fever then straight into a cough with none of the usual other cold symptoms. His cough lasted 3 weeks and was awful. He had three nights in a row where he had to sleep propped in a sitting position, and if he began coughing he couldn't stop for hours. It got quite wheezy at times and led to him feeling extremely tired and wiped out. I had no symptoms, but I've had an unusually good winter with only one mild cold so I haven't been run down.

Post edited at 09:15
OP Lemony 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Alyson:

Worst thing about being an early adopter, there's always someone who got in there before it was cool.

Post edited at 09:17
 Alyson 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Lol! Well I've no way of knowing but it all fits. Hope you get well soon x

Blue Straggler 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> Worst thing about being an early adopter, there's always someone who got in there before it was cool.

Careful, you'll have Paul Sagar along soon  

ThunderCat 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> Worst thing about being an early adopter, there's always someone who got in there before it was cool.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/hipster-claiming-to-have-covid-1...

stevieb 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> My girlfriend and I are untested but pretty confident that we have CV, we basically have perfect symptom matches and she's a doctor who has likely come into contact with CV patients. We're both in our mid thirties with no complicating factors so we're lucky enough to be very low risk

Is there any planning to test healthcare professionals and their families? I realise that your girlfriend is too ill to work right now, but surely testing would enable non CV staff to return to work earlier? 

In reply to Lemony:

I have three children who developed hacking coughs from last friday, otherwise they are fine...just coughing. They are all off school. I developed a sore throat sunday evening and a mild fever on monday and lost appetite. I am wfh. Today I still have a sore throat and my lungs feel slightly sore, as in if I was to breath in deeply it would feel slightly aggravated. But have not developed a cough yet and my mild fever has gone.

I have no clue what I have, and it feels very similar to other colds/sore throats I have had in the past.

I would like to take a test to find out but have no idea how to so don't expect that will happen as I am not really unwell (yet?) and will not burden anyone right now just to know.

Toerag 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Alyson:

If you had CV in December the UK would be like China is now.  You didn't have CV in your house in December.

toad 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Toerag:

I think this years seasonal flu had these very symptoms. 

BnB 17 Mar 2020
In reply to toad:

> I think this years seasonal flu had these very symptoms. 

I certainly had it and too early for it to have been CV-19. It was a pretty awful cough and I'm a bit concerned at how recovered my lungs are from it. I'm in no hurry to put that to the test.

gravy 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

The problem with that is that, " a pre-smoking-ban hangover. drifting headache which sits behind your eyes and occasionally makes the world go woozy ... totally exhausted", sounds  not far off from my usual state of affairs...

cb294 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

In the Rhineland outbreak, almost all patients reported a temporary loss of smell and taste senses, typically lasting two to three days during the early phase. The German health authorities are actually considering including this as a diagnostic marker.

CB

Mr Lopez 17 Mar 2020
In reply to cb294:

> In the Rhineland outbreak, almost all patients reported a temporary loss of smell and taste senses, typically lasting two to three days during the early phase. The German health authorities are actually considering including this as a diagnostic marker.

> CB

That's one of my telltales of when i'm going down with a cold. The precursor to that before any other symptoms is a very peculiar and unique 'taste' to tobacco smoke.

Alyson 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Interesting. I was just going off what the highly experienced medical doctor told me but you sound like you are very sure of yourself.

I'll be sure to let him know that someone on the internet says he's wrong.

In reply to cb294:

Interesting, thanks.  I haven't had those symptoms myself. 

OP Lemony 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Important update. A friend dropped off more cheese today, we may yet survive...

In reply to Lemony:

Have a fried egg and cheese butty, with brown sauce; for is it not written that man cannot live by achingly middle-class food alone . . .

T.

RomTheBear 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Alyson:

I had exact same symptoms last November. Off work for a full three weeks. It was the flu.

I don’t think you had CV

earlsdonwhu 17 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

Yep.. I was hospitalised for three days in October with what they finally said was the flu. They lost my first swab samples.

krikoman 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Nice one, thanks for the info, get well soon.

Great idea posting, what part of the country are you, not that it's going to make much difference in the coming month, I suppose.

Cheers,

Mark

Bacon Butty 17 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

> I had exact same symptoms last November. Off work for a full three weeks. It was the flu.

Ah, I see now.

I bet you weren't totally and utterly skint for those three weeks, with zero cash coming in and no doubt, your healthy bank account, were you?!?!

Deadeye 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Alyson:

Did you have a flu jab btw?

NottsRich 17 Mar 2020

> I have three children who developed hacking coughs from last friday, otherwise they are fine...just coughing. They are all off school. I developed a sore throat sunday evening and a mild fever on monday and lost appetite. I am wfh. Today I still have a sore throat and my lungs feel slightly sore, as in if I was to breath in deeply it would feel slightly aggravated. But have not developed a cough yet and my mild fever has gone.

> I have no clue what I have, and it feels very similar to other colds/sore throats I have had in the past.

> I would like to take a test to find out but have no idea how to so don't expect that will happen as I am not really unwell (yet?) and will not burden anyone right now just to know.

Word for word your description matches mine, except change three to one at the start. My cough is just starting, and also a streaming nose. Who knows what it is. Hopefully it's CV, and then I can do something useful with my immunity afterwards! 

TobyA 17 Mar 2020
In reply to NottsRich:

> and also a streaming nose.

At least until a week or so ago "they" were saying running noses and sneezing were signs you didn't have it. Not sure if that's changed but I don't think its on the symptom lists.

I'm a teacher and have had kids sneezing and coughing on me for weeks. I've felt a bit under the weather since half term, so three and a bit weeks ago. I keep wondering, but have until now told myself "you're not that special". I've been getting headaches a fair amount this last week and coughing a bit but keep taking my temperature and it's low. I wonder now what percentage is just psychosomatic, and we're all just stressed out by everything. I definitely have a had nights were I woken up feeling panicked and then not been able to get back to sleep - very unusual for me - and just being knackered has got to add to the general feeling of being a bit ill.

In reply to NottsRich:

I still have a nasty sore throat and quite sweaty, but paracetamol keeps a lid on everything. No cough, but have had sore throats turn into coughs in the past so keeping an eye on it.

Still have no appetite and not sleeping very well (I am in spare room and bed is not as comfy as my normal bed plus I think I am over analysing my own symptoms due to the constant news feed)

I have read up on the typical cycle of CV sufferers and I am not a perfect fit, but what I have taken away is that from first symptoms, most people are on the mend 7 days later (that's next sunday for me) A bad dose will continue into week two with bad chest and then it's time to start to consider seeking more help if you continue to deteriorate. 

Anyway, bottom line...in a CV free world I would be off sick with a bad cold and looking forward to a duvet day in front of tv. As it is, I am a slightly more stressed by over analysing it , but fully expect to be much better by the weekend and to never know if it was just a cold or CV.

BnB 18 Mar 2020

Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon

mike123 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Have a fried egg and cheese butty, with brown sauce; for is it not written that man cannot live by achingly middle-class food alone . . 

Brown sauce ? Brown sauce ? Oh how the lower orders live ....

( also to lemony , your cheese made me laugh out loud ) , what was it ? 

OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020

We were told that upper respiratory tract symptoms - runny nose, bad throat etc. - were a strong counter indication but ultimately, I don't think it really matters, you need to self isolate if you're even a fuzzy match at this point.

OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to mike123:

This was bog standard supermarket cheddar, functional stuff. The real good news is that a local deli is dropping off some cheeky doddingtons and teesdale numbers later on.

In reply to BnB:

Thx BnB!

RomTheBear 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

> Ah, I see now.

> I bet you weren't totally and utterly skint for those three weeks, with zero cash coming in and no doubt, your healthy bank account, were you?!?!

No, I wasn’t, because I plan for these things.

What is your problem ?

OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

Can we not turn this thread into another cock joust, there's plenty of those already?

(I appreciate that you didn't start it mind.)

robert-hutton 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Both myself and wife have, headache, running nose bit of a temperature but no cough at all, although I have noticed that when running or cycling up a hill it seems that I do have reduced lung capacity.

Both feel ok and really stopping me function but for a couple of day I felt a bit lethargic, not sure what it is but keeping away from elderly for the time being.

Post edited at 08:32
OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

Again, you're close enough to the symptom match that I'd really consider self-isolating, not just avoiding the elderly.

summo 18 Mar 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

I think it's hard to know as the symptoms crossover so much to normal infections. 

I did a large sports event 3 weeks or so ago. Afterwards I had a sore throat, phlem(spelling), slight temp, tired and a raised rested heart of around 20% above normal. This lasted nearly two weeks.

It could just be normal cold bugs hitting an already hammered immune system, or CV... I'll never know unless I catch CV in the near future.

I think we just have to presume we might have it and take precautions in case. 

ChrisBrooke 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> We hadn't made any specific preparations for quarantine but we're greedy foodies so we have a wide variety of achingly middle class food (and booze) at our disposal.

In our house we’re nearly out of balsamic glaze and truffle oil. I mean I knew this was a crisis, but I wasn’t expecting it to be this bad!

OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

We're concerned that there may come a point where all that's left is Abby's Kimchee, my homemade dashi and our ludicrous quantity of dried borlotti beans and the thought of being in an enclosed space with that diet is... worrying.

Post edited at 09:59
 joem 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Want me to drop round some lentils and chickpeas just to round things off

stevieb 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> We were told that upper respiratory tract symptoms - runny nose, bad throat etc. - were a strong counter indication but ultimately, I don't think it really matters, you need to self isolate if you're even a fuzzy match at this point.

For general information, there are suggestions that symptoms in infants are different, and may include runny nose etc. 

Neil Williams 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> That's one of my telltales of when i'm going down with a cold. The precursor to that before any other symptoms is a very peculiar and unique 'taste' to tobacco smoke.

The one I get with colds very often, and did even when I was a kid, is a change in the smell of vinegar from something which I utterly slather all over my chips to something I can't stand.

In reply to Deadeye:

I had something very nasty in late Jan/early Feb, which may or may not have been it.  I have had the flu jab though for the first time late last year (November ish I think), I've been entitled to it for a few years because an asthma preventer prescription triggers that, but I've generally not even thought to bother as I've had flu all of twice, generally my immune system is very good other than that I get pretty much every cold that is going!  (They always follow the same set pattern of symptoms over a period of pretty much exactly 5 days with onset about 24 hours after exposure, so it's easy for me to tell if it's that or not).

So what I had was most likely not flu.  It wasn't a cold either.  It could possibly have been a bacterial throat infection that spread to my lungs, but it could also have been COVID19.

Post edited at 10:10
OP Lemony 18 Mar 2020
In reply to joem:

Abby's not allowed chickpeas. Ever.

NottsRich 18 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> At least until a week or so ago "they" were saying running noses and sneezing were signs you didn't have it. Not sure if that's changed but I don't think its on the symptom lists.

Yeah I agree, but everything else is. Actually, a streaming nose is on the list in some cases.

https://i1.wp.com/emcrit.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/sxjpg.jpg?resize=15...

Even if I don't have all the typical symptoms, the little one has a fever, continuous cough (now improving) and had laboured breathing for a few days. 

Rob Exile Ward 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Mrs Exile came back from the supermarket yesterday and we asked if she'd stockpiled anything. 'Yes - chickpeas and coriander.' Phew, that's us sorted then.

mullermn 18 Mar 2020
In reply to summo:

> It could just be normal cold bugs hitting an already hammered immune system,

This is a point that my extensive research (5 minutes of half-hearted googling) was unable to settle one way or the another - does frequent ‘use’ of your immune system make you stronger to tackle the next bug you catch, or does it leave you weaker?

If the former then as a parent of young’uns my immune system should be so strong I should be making other people healthier by standing near them at this point, if the latter then I’d better get started trying to modify the dyson into a ventilator, because I’m going to be f*cked.

In reply to Neil Williams:

> The one I get with colds very often, and did even when I was a kid, is a change in the smell of vinegar from something which I utterly slather all over my chips to something I can't stand.

Weird. For me it’s tomatoes and tomato ketchup that suddenly tastes really sharp and bitter. Nice excuse for a trip to the chippy though: “just testing to see if I’m getting a cold”

Day one of self isolation here after my partner developed a cough and temperature last night. Already fed up which isn’t a good sign! There’s something uniquely frustrating about knowing you can’t go out, even if you don’t particularly want to right now anyway. 

Chris H 18 Mar 2020

...modify the dyson into a ventilator, because I’m going to be f*cked.

Dont forget to switch it to blow mode...

Trouble is without testing its all speculation as to whether one has it and whether any immunity has been developed. 

HB1 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

. . . and I'm someone who returned from a climbing trip in France in June last year, and almost immediately suffered a terrible amount of coughing and wheezing, particularly at night, for week after week. I "failed" many a spirometer test, and was tentatively diagnosed as having late-onset asthma (I'm 72 - so VERY late) or some unknown (!) virus. The puffers and the Relvar inhalers worked OK and I could run without shortage of breath (climbing was also OK - not such a long drawn-out process) Just back from Spain, climbing, where I abandoned all the medication which was making me whoosy and unable to concentrate, and causing me to clutch at the rock (not like me at all) and feel anxious with it too.Seems to me that what I had then was remarkably like what I read about now in relation to Covid 19.

Funnily enough I'm feeling good now - just a bit twitchy, not being able to climb at the moment

Post edited at 10:39
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I have to say my first thought this morning was “why didn’t we stockpile more halloumi?” 

Fortunately we have all we need here to make our own so that should keep us going for a few more days before we turn totally feral. 

In reply to Stuart Williams:

> Day one of self isolation here after my partner developed a cough and temperature last night. Already fed up which isn’t a good sign! There’s something uniquely frustrating about knowing you can’t go out, even if you don’t particularly want to right now anyway.

Very true.  I work from home anyway so have other than the news thus far had a totally normal week, but it still *feels* really odd.

joem 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

That’s mean they’re really tastey

Yeah, just that slight sense of deprivation is enough to feel a bit antsy

Jimbo C 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Toerag:

> If you had CV in December the UK would be like China is now.  You didn't have CV in your house in December.

I don't think you can be so confident about that. I had a CV like illness in December after meeting someone who recently travelled from China. It could have been normal flu, but I had that in November anyhow. My point is that I quarantined myself at home because my partner suffers from pretty bad asthma and managed to not pass on whatever it was to her.

In reply to Jimbo C:

I do hope an antibody test will be along soon, because such questions will be able to be answered, as I too strongly suspect I've had it.  I wouldn't subject the NHS to the cost of my curiosity, nor would the NHS offer that, but I would happily pay the few hundred quid an IgA/IgG test usually costs.  Even better if a self test kit can be produced, like say the coeliac ones (which are also immunoglobulin tests) you can get for a tenner or so.

Post edited at 13:29
OP Lemony 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

A new level of surreal was reached today when I had a remote job interview wearing the top half of a suit, my ratty old moon cyphers and slippers. Every few minutes I had to mute the call while I hacked up lumps of lung... Quarantine is weird.

Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

> A new level of surreal was reached today when I had a remote job interview wearing the top half of a suit, my ratty old moon cyphers and slippers. Every few minutes I had to mute the call while I hacked up lumps of lung... Quarantine is weird.

Well, I've felt yuk all day.  None of the 3 main symptoms yet but nausea is said to be a possible precursor in some cases so we'll see tomorrow if it escalates to one of those or is just a "bug going round"... not going to go out today just in case.

George Ormerod 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

I've often wondered when they have some talking head on the news via Skype whether they're wearing nothing but the wife's knickers below the waist for shits and giggles.  I would, but she's tiny and they'd really cut in.

Get well soon and keep us posted.  It's an interesting thread.

Removed User 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Alyson:

> Interesting. I was just going off what the highly experienced medical doctor told me but you sound like you are very sure of yourself.

> I'll be sure to let him know that someone on the internet says he's wrong.

LOL. Make sure you also tell him that the deliverer of said advice was called "Toerag" just to ensure that he understands what he's up against.

OP Lemony 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Actual symptoms update:  Abby remains tired but her cough is abating somewhat and her headache has gone. She has however got no sense of taste or smell - I mean the dog farted earlier and she didn't register it so it's quite bad. She's also going quite rapidly mad with boredom.

My cough is really bad tonight but that might be because I had to spend so much time talking today. Headache gone, tired but not too bad. smell and taste reduced but still present.

Actual logistics update: 'kinell you get through dishwasher tabs when you're home alone. How do you stop eating toast? There's some really good places doing take away right now.

That is all.

MG 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

How long have you had it so far? 

OP Lemony 19 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Abby symptomatic from Sunday morning, maybe a little earlier - she was post nights so hard to be 100%.

Side note, as a doctor she has been tested and it's now a confirmed case.

TobyA 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

All the best to both of you! I guess you're now part of the herd and hopefully can't get it again? That must feel sort of reassuring, even if it's been a horrible week. My local aldi had lots of dishwasher tablets the other day when no soap and hardly any bread, so hopefully a mate can sort you out with some more if you're running low. You could also try just doing the washing up in a bowl...

OP Lemony 19 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> You could also try just doing the washing up in a bowl...

Truly this is the end of days!

MG 19 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Hope it continues to goes well!

If you aren't tested presumably you aren't counted either officially? 

wercat 19 Mar 2020

nausea is certainly something we've both had and a disruption (rather than loss) of taste and smell.  Sense of smell already pretty poor from sinuses but been "smellucinating" in a bit of a sickly way.

I'm still not assuming it was more than just some random flu bug (flu from the effect on my wife - totally knocked out by it)  - have to keep an open mind

Post edited at 21:35
 Neil Williams 19 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

Cheers.  That does give me an idea at least.  I suspect I may "find out" tomorrow or Saturday

Shouldn't be flu for me, I've had the jab.

Temperature 36.0 so still not fully kicking off yet!  (I seem to run 0.5 degrees lower than the average which I never knew )

Post edited at 22:16
OP Lemony 19 Mar 2020
In reply to MG:

Nope, apparently only swab positive cases count.

In reply to Lemony:

My symptoms have improved a lot. My sore throat is much better leaving just a bit of a raw chest. I never developed consistent coughing fortunately.

One thing I did have, which I took no notice of at all, was very itchy eye lids. I just read this morning that another symptom is conjunctivitis (see link)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/20/coronavirus-what-happens-to-p...

I had no idea about this, but does make me think that it possibly was more likely CV now than just a normal cold?

I am definitely going to take an antibody test when it becomes easily available to find out. Be good to know if I had it as I would be much more comfortable seeing my elderly parents.

OP Lemony 20 Mar 2020

Abby had some discomfort with her eyes, more of a headachey pain than conjunctivitis, but it's not something I noticed.

On balance of probability it seems quite likely. I'd certainly be respecting the quarantine period (7 days from symptoms starting)

wercat 20 Mar 2020

I've had sensitive eyes since the symptoms I acquired end November and still have them so there might be another cause unless we are not getting the full SARS-CoV-2 story

Neil Williams 20 Mar 2020

I had a lot of itching yesterday.  I am slightly prone to that (it is for instance one of the symptoms I get if I have gluten by mistake, but as I don't have any in the house it definitely isn't that, it only happens eating out) but that's another thing backing up the idea I might have it.

Not kicked off yet though, still just feeling a bit yuck.  I did expect to wake up with a cough at least but nope.

There is definitely *something* afoot, the question is what.

Post edited at 13:50
In reply to wercat:

There is such thing as "post viral syndrome" which is some symptoms knocking around.  It seems to be how I ended up with (mild) asthma - a virus of some sort that never wholly went away.

wercat 20 Mar 2020

My wife was running at 38.7 to 38.8 with a brief excursion to 38.9 over the days she was in bed.

In reply to wercat:

I'm sitting around 36.0 at the moment, seems I run slightly low, might be down to my low resting heart rate or something.

OP Lemony 20 Mar 2020

Or you're one of them Space Lizards that nice Mr Icke warned me about.

In reply to Lemony:

Got a cough now so I think this is it...wish me luck...I will report back on how much "fun" it isn't

Looks like I got my wish to have it early and get it over with...

Post edited at 21:36
OP Lemony 20 Mar 2020

Fingers crossed it goes like mine. I'm feeling most of the way back to normal now.

MG 20 Mar 2020

Hope it goes well. Let us know! 

In reply to MG:

I think I'm going to be adequately bored to post any detail here

What is quite interesting is that what I've had so far is a slightly worse version of what I had in late Jan/early Feb, which suggests maybe you can have it twice, perhaps it's mutated since then, or perhaps that was flu.

In reply to Lemony:

Glad to hear. Me too today. Chest has improved overnight. 

so much so I am going to cut the grass today. Which made me think that gardening is the perfect self isolation activity. I expect there will be some stellar gardens in the UK this year 😀

Neil Williams 21 Mar 2020

Aannd....slightly tight chest, cough seems to have gone, still no temperature.

It definitely ticks a number of boxes but it feels like my immune system is holding it off, but not enough to actually get rid of it.

Strange.  Maybe it's not.  Shame there isn't antibody testing yet.

It could be something else but would be odd if it was, other than colds (which it definitely isn't) I basically never get sick.  And I have been in contact with a friend who was telling me yesterday he had a cough, a slight temperature and muscle aches, which would back up further that it is it.

Post edited at 09:43
OP Lemony 21 Mar 2020

I would assume it is until proven otherwise.

In reply to Lemony:

Yes I'm certainly working on that basis in terms of not going anywhere until it goes away.  I think it's highly likely that it is (so far) a very mild case rather than something else.

I'm in the fortunate position of living on my own so can still have run of the house.

Post edited at 09:56
 wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

I think the safest approach is bilateral.

During illness assume the worst from the point of infection control

After recovery assume it was just a bug so you are still careful out there

Alyson 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Deadeye:

> Did you have a flu jab btw?

No, I don't qualify for that and to the best of my knowledge I've never had the flu. 

Totally understand people saying we probably haven't had CV if it was in December and they may well be right. I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if it wasn't for this conversation with a doctor. I've no wish to be dramatic - just thought that if he was right, then a description of the symptoms we experienced might help people. 

Hope everyone is doing ok. Currently trying to wrap my head around home schooling. Eek!

Love and peace to you all x

Interesting. My partner had a near perfect symptom match for about a day. Temperature dropped off pretty quick - still higher than normal for her but way below fever threshold. The cough subsided over a couple days, although not totally, but a tight chest and slight breathlessness has persisted since Wednesday.

Martin W 21 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> I've been getting headaches a fair amount this last week and coughing a bit but keep taking my temperature and it's low. I wonder now what percentage is just psychosomatic, and we're all just stressed out by everything. I definitely have a had nights were I woken up feeling panicked and then not been able to get back to sleep - very unusual for me - and just being knackered has got to add to the general feeling of being a bit ill.

I've just decided to have a read of this thread and your description of your symptoms pretty much exactly matches what I've been experiencing the last day or two.  In particular, the inadequate sleep allied with anxiety: in my case, waking up ridiculously early and unable to get back to sleep (not completely unusual for me: I was experiencing something similar last summer before I decided to pack in my unreasonably stressful job).  In fact these symptoms are what prompted me to try to find out what other people who definitely do have it are experiencing.

So far Lemony's reports seem to be closest to what I would regard as properly worrying, especially since his partner is a confirmed case.  It also matches reports from others I've read where fatigue/tiredness is probably one of the most debilitating effects (unless it transforms in to full respiratory meltdown).

Having an apparently ever-growing list of symptoms which might mean you're starting COVID19 strikes me as being a little unhelpful.  I fear that it would be all to easy to end up like the opening of Three Men in a Boat:

I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch – hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book, and read all I came to read; and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves, and began to indolently study diseases, generally. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into – some fearful, devastating scourge, I know – and, before I had glanced half down the list of “premonitory symptoms,” it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

Of course one could adopt the precautionary principle and self-isolate at the first sign of something 'not quite right'.  But for some folks, especially those prone to seasonal maladies (I usually get two or three bad colds each winter) that could mean being shut away for extended periods for no reason.  And, like J above, simply seeing a list of symptoms can make you wonder whether that little niggle you've had for a while but basically ignored could actually be it.

On the flip side, I am of a similar mind to TobyA, basically telling myself "you're not that special".

It's the not being able to be reasonably sure (e.g. discouraging even telephone consultation with NHS, very limited availability of tests) that grates.

wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin W:

I had a sleepless night last night, more about the financial consequences. 

I'm resigned to the idea that if I get it I get it and it might be bad,

and secondarily,

that the matching symptoms I've already had (they encompass pretty well everything said on the thread over the last 2 or three months, particularly tight and painful chest with some very odd variable pains when coughing and not shifting) are something that I'll never know the truth about.

We can only be careful in that lack of knowledge and make no assumptions.

Post edited at 11:43
In reply to wercat:

Once the antibody test is released to the general public you probably will have the chance to find out the truth.  It's a simple ELISA type test similar to the coeliac disease home test, you can do it yourself with a finger lancet and they cost about £5-10 to produce.  The coeliac ones typically sell for £15-20.

wercat 21 Mar 2020

Once the panic buyers and ebay re-sellers have subsided !

(come to think of it I expect a rash of fake test kits to be marketed by scammers - like those fake bomb detectors that were sold by that fake defence company - that is just the cynic coming out)

Post edited at 12:23
 Jamie Wakeham 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Reasonably sure that Clare and I have it.  She's showing flu-like symptoms; her temp went up by about 1.5C yesterday, but it's back to merely 0.5C elevated today.  She's achy but paracetamol is working well.

I have a weird sore throat - for the last 24 hours it's felt as if I've just taken a lungful of acrid smoke.  A cough (that does absolutely bugger all to shift anything) is slowly developing.  And now my back aches too.

As others have said - I would almost certainly have been pushing on to remain working at this stage, especailly as I'm a freelancer.

I would love to get some sort of antibody test, just to know if this really is it - because that would mean I can get back to being useful once the 14 days have passed.

In reply to wercat:

I'd expect the same (though that isn't just fraud, it's dangerous).  There are reputable "home test" companies out there, though.  I've used Medichecks for some stuff in the past, for instance, so if they market one I believe it will be trustworthy (well, at least as far as the specification states).  As the Beeb said, other home medical testing companies may be available!

Post edited at 13:11
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

0.5 variance is probably nothing.  I've been checking mine regularly and have noticed that it can be anywhere between 36 and 36.5, notably it has been 36 when I've been feeling a bit cold, and putting a jumper on brings it back up to 36.5 slowly.

A sore throat is the most pronounced noticeable thing I've had, most notably also in whatever-it-was-that-I-had-in-January which does give credence to the possibility of reinfection/mutation if it was that.  Also mild trots (which seems to be a "possible but unusual" effect[1]) and a bit of itching.  Indeed, a lot of the effects, sore throat and tight chest aside, aren't dissimilar to what happens if I inadvertently eat gluten, but that wouldn't have happened as (for obvious reasons) I've not eaten anything that wasn't cooked at home for a number of days now.

I would love to know if I have had it.  I will definitely be purchasing a test kit when they become available generally, but as I said I'm sure it will (and absolutely should) be NHS and key workers first.  Though if I can prove I'm "safe" I will start volunteering, I've only held off doing this due to the risk of spreading it.

[1] Fortunately I bought a 24 pack of bog roll before this all kicked off

Post edited at 13:16

> 0.5 variance is probably nothing.  I've been checking mine regularly and have noticed that it can be anywhere between 36 and 36.5, notably it has been 36 when I've been feeling a bit cold, and putting a jumper on brings it back up to 36.5 slowly.

Indeed.  I'm looking more for trends than individual readings; I'm taking both our temps five or six times a day, just to see what's happening.  Got bugger all else to do!

FWIW it's definitely not something that would anywhere near stop me working in normal circumstances, and I get full sick pay.

Timmd 21 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> (come to think of it I expect a rash of fake test kits to be marketed by scammers - like those fake bomb detectors that were sold by that fake defence company - that is just the cynic coming out)

I guess in a world of generally decent people there will always be those who take advantage too, there's been people offering to sort out getting shopping and medical supplies for the elderly and the ill before vanishing already, with money or supplies. 

Post edited at 15:07
 wercat 21 Mar 2020
In reply to Timmd:

there has, it seems,  been a case of someone with a white van trying to take away a dog for "compulsory Covid quarantine".

Gone downhill pretty sharply in the last few hours. Now alternately shivery and hot, and feeling pretty weak. I feel very smug for having spent the morning making a week's worth of meals, now lined up ready to go in the freezer!

In reply to wercat:

There's a special place in hell for people like that.

I seem to be staying about the same, very slight sore throat but now little else.  I did get a bit light headed legging it up the stairs earlier but that can happen anyway.

I think if I do have it I've got away with a very mild case indeed.

Good luck!

wercat 21 Mar 2020

My wife was like that for 2 or three days.  Have you measured your temperature?  (She was up to 38.9 at one point and 38.8 for a while)

Yanis Nayu 21 Mar 2020

My normal temperature is 36 too. 

In reply to wercat:

She was at 38.2 last night from her baseline of 36.5 (she runs pretty cold). She's back to 37-ish now.

I'm only at 37.8 myself, which surprises me. Given that I'm shivering in a room at 20 degrees I was expecting to be a bit more feverish!

Neil Williams 22 Mar 2020

So whatever it was it's pretty much gone.  If it was that, and I still suspect it was, I have definitely got away with a very, very mild case indeed (one which technically didn't even tick the box for self isolating, but I'm still being sensible and not going places for 7 days from when it started just in case).

Best wishes to others who have it for your recovery.

OP Lemony 22 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

So Abby is now out of her isolation period and has celebrated by taking the dog to the park in daylight. I still have another 24 hours... Nearly there!

Jamie Wakeham 22 Mar 2020

Morning, all. I had a better night's sleep than I'd anticipated 🙂 

My fever's up to 38.5 now, and the cough is properly annoying - it's doing that thing where the spasm of coughing triggers a band of headache. But honestly this is still, for me, nothing to get worried about.

Clare's fever has pretty much broken, but she now seems (coincidentally?) to have a really crappy cold. That just seems unfair.

Wainers44 22 Mar 2020

Glad you are coping ok 😁

Neil Williams 22 Mar 2020

Continuing best wishes to get well soon.

I think it can have some cold like symptoms if it works its way up to the sinuses, so it might not be something separate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...