Double Glazing Failure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chopper 23 Jan 2021

Two separate windows(upstairs) on the front elevation(facing south west, hence prevailing bad weather) occasionally have condensation between the glazing and, in windy weather, are draughty. All other windows throughout the house seem fine, with no condensation or draught.

I am suspecting a failure of the sealing system and failure or absence of the moisture absorbant material which, I am told, in supposed to be incorporated between the glazing.

Has anyone had similar failures and what remedy did you use. Obviously I want to avoid, if possible, complete replacement.

Thanks

earlsdonwhu 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

Not aware of any remedy but just replacing the glazing units may be cheaper than you imagine. 

jimtitt 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

The one in my workshop I drilled two holes through the sealing, blasted argon through and sealed the holes (and painted pva glue round the perimeter) but not everyone has an argon cylinder lying around. When I worked in the window industry the guys regularly split the units and re-made them but smaller ones it was usually cheaper to just bin them, cleaning the glass cost more as new glass.

The draughts you probably need new seals and the closure adjusting, look for a window doctor.

marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

Its possible and straightforward for them to replace the glass parts without having the whole window removed.  

Get local recommendations for a good company.  

OP Chopper 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> Its possible and straightforward for them to replace the glass parts without having the whole window removed.  

That's what I'm hoping, Just contacted someone local who did another job for us some time ago.

OP Chopper 23 Jan 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

Thanks

I've read that a hair dryer can be used to clear the condensation...but this is temp measure.

I've never tried it though.

Babika 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

This has happened a few times on South facing dg window units in our house. I used to pay around £90 a time for a bloke to replace but now Mr B does it for around £30, the cost of the replacement glass. Either way not too costly. 

J1234 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Chopper:

Its dead easy to replace a unit. All you need is a paint scraper and wedge tool to get out the bead, and a nylon hammer to knock back in again with.
The hard part is sussing how thick your unit is, I borrowed a micrometer off my dad and leant the unit out to measure it.
Youtube is your friend on this.

Measure 3 times, buy once

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...