Domestic energy saving resources

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisBrooke 26 Jul 2022

With energy costs what they are, and set to rise further, my mind is turning to ways to become both more efficient and more independent at home. Things like solar panels for electricity, air-source heat pump to replace the gas boiler.....um.......better insulation? 

These aren't things I've previously considered with any seriousness, and I was wondering if anyone with more experience had any particularly reliable, independent resources they could share to help educate me, and anyone else who's interested. 

Also, I'm guessing there must be a market for companies to come visit, make an energy assessment of your home, make recommendations etc. Does anyone know of something like that in Sheffield? A company that can nudge you down a more 'eco' path, whilst being independent and not just a front trying to sell you double glazing/their own solar panels etc. 

Pardon my naivety, but as I say, it's not something I've had the money or motivation to consider previously. 

robert-hutton 26 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Octopus energy will lend you a thermal camera which i found useful to find cool spots in the house and hot spots from the outside.

Post edited at 12:42
 Forest Dump 26 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Try Energy Saving Trust, Centre for Alternative Technoloy or Centre for Sustainable Energy as decent ish online places to start..

You could get a home EPC as a starter but be aware it's a blunt tool, there's lots of other surveys and studies you can also get done

OP ChrisBrooke 26 Jul 2022
In reply to MeMeMe:

I'm in Sheffield, but that looks like exactly the sort of thing I'm after. 

OP ChrisBrooke 26 Jul 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

Cool, thanks for those.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...