Dog owners - noise pollution

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tobes 18 May 2022

Whilst we’re giving it to poor dog ownership here’s another aspect to consider. 

lovely quiet morning listening to the bird calls, some running water from a nearby burn, few people out enjoying the park and then it starts …..MILLIE!!! MILLIE? MILLIE!? Come on Millie, good girl, GOOD GIRL! No Millie don’t, MILLIE! NO! and so on then add Bonnie, Jackson and every other dog running riot (no issues with that) but dog owners simply have little awareness of their surroundings or the impact of the shouting in terms of unwanted noise, you can here them from the other side of the park, the one I was enjoying the early morning peace in …. 

girlymonkey 18 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

You should hear the racket from our canicross group at the start of a run!! It's deafening! We try to choose places to run which are away from homes, so we inevitably spoil the peace and quite of nice places instead. But at least our dogs are attached to us so not stealing your food/ rummaging in your bags etc! 😃

FactorXXX 18 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

> lovely quiet morning listening to the bird calls, some running water from a nearby burn, few people out enjoying the park and then it starts …..MILLIE!!! MILLIE? MILLIE!? Come on Millie, good girl, GOOD GIRL! No Millie don’t, MILLIE! NO! and so on then add Bonnie, Jackson and every other dog running riot (no issues with that) but dog owners simply have little awareness of their surroundings or the impact of the shouting in terms of unwanted noise, you can here them from the other side of the park, the one I was enjoying the early morning peace in …. 

Slack!
Take in!
That's me!
Watch me here!

In reply to FactorXXX:

That is a very polite crag. Almost as well behaved as my dog. 

FactorXXX 19 May 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> That is a very polite crag. Almost as well behaved as my dog. 

Fenton!

DaveHK 19 May 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Fenton!

Oh go on then:

youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU&

In reply to Tobes:

Just remember this, and every other morning it happens, on bonfire night when they all start whinging.

Andy Clarke 19 May 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Slack!

> Take in!

> That's me!

> Watch me here!

And add to that all the jangling of hexes, the power grunting and the string of obscenities when the ugly truth of the crux reveals itself. Honestly, the climbing at the Roaches last weekend was so noisy I could barely hear the music from my portable speakers.

Ryan23 19 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

I wish more dog owners would make that much effort to call their dogs back

veteye 19 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

And GirlyMonkey

Please make the effort to spell the right version of the word being used. This happens too often. If you are not sure, then use a dictionary, then perhaps you won't need to next time.

<you can here 

hear

< peace and quite. (GM)

peace and quiet.

No doubt I will get dislikes, but I cannot be the only person to feel the same way. Just think when writing please.

morpcat 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

Their posting in a internet form, not penning a litter to the Queen

twoshoes 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

- It's a chat forum.

- Maybe she's dyslexic? 

- There are multiple mistakes in other posts on this thread, including an identical one to that which you're complaining about ... and yet you only pick on girlymonkey? (Oh yeah, note she doesn't use capitals - just think when writing please.)

Post edited at 08:15
 Rob Parsons 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> And GirlyMonkey

> Please make the effort to spell the right version of the word being used. ...

Are you all right, mate?

Maggot 19 May 2022
In reply to morpcat:

> Their posting in a internet form, not penning a litter to the Queen

Corgi puppies?

In reply to veteye:

> <you can here 

That wasn't girlymonkey.

Get out of bed the wrong side this morning?

wintertree 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> No doubt I will get dislikes, but I cannot be the only person to feel the same way. Just think when writing please.

No.

Some of us are completely oblivious to the stupidity of a written language that doesn’t directly and uniquely correspond to a spoken language.  Our brains never developed the ability to differentiate.  Instead they often go on to develop a more intuitive and visual way of thinking.  It’s a trade off that can bring great benefits, but drawbacks include people complaining like this.  It’s called dyslexia and is IMO wrongly categorised as a learning disorder when in reality it’s a different phenotype.  The world is build around the more common phenotype.  You wouldn’t berate someone really tall or really short for problems caused by them interacting with a world build for average height people.  So don’t do it on a forum where unbeknownst to you some of us might be dyslexic. It can really upset people who have been beaten down by 15 years of schooling and university.

Edit: thinking about it doesn’t make a 7” tall person shorter, and it doesn’t magically fix word choice.  What I have to do is put a piece of written work aside for a day or two then read it with fresh eyes.  No use for forum posting.

Post edited at 08:52
 Bottom Clinger 19 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

I’m too busy decorating hawthorn bushes with poo bags to shout at my dog, so I’m innocent m’lord.  

Bottom Clinger 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

A mate of mIne, who uses this forum in winter, is dyslexic and his posts can be full of errors. Luckily, most forum users don’t give a toss about speling. 

Oh, and pleas take the effort to reply to the right person  

Post edited at 08:59
 alx 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Please make the effort to spell the right version of the word being used.

Ja, Mein Further!

twoshoes 19 May 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I think veteye actually meant to reply to Tobes and girlymonkey, hence his 'And GirlyMonkey'. Ironically enough, the poor use of a capital 'A' was confusing and so we all missed this ... 

Anyway, noisy dogs. Almost as annoying as pedants, aren't they?

Fellover 19 May 2022
In reply to twoshoes:

>  yet you only pick on girlymonkey?

To be fair to veteye their post does clearly start "In reply to Tobes: And Girly Monkey" and there's no edit, so they're definitely picking on two people

Edit to add: I do find dog owners shouting at dogs in otherwise largely peaceful areas quite annoying.

Further edit to add: Posted just after your second post about the same thing...

Post edited at 09:21
 twoshoes 19 May 2022
In reply to Fellover:

See above! Not sure about 'clearly'!  

montyjohn 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> In reply to Tobes:

> And GirlyMonkey

False accusations and incorrect use of capitals make me sick! You deserve a cone of shame for a week to think about what you've done!

Fellover 19 May 2022
In reply to twoshoes:

Yeah I've seen now - I clicked reply then faffed with something else for a while so by the time I actually posted you had already posted a second time about the same thing I just felt that veteye was getting slightly piled on by 3 or 4 people for something they didn't actually do!

Obviously the capital A means they should be imprisoned for a few years and have their UKC privileges revoked.

Anyway, dogs, grrrr.

FactorXXX 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> Please make the effort to spell the right version of the word being used. This happens too often. If you are not sure, then use a dictionary, then perhaps you won't need to next time.

Stop being so perdantic... 

Jenny C 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

Typing on my phone and the autocorrect often leaves me with unintelligible typos, most I amend (often editing posts). I know there v their and quiet v quite and even from v form. On a proper keyboard I detest the failure to capitalise letters or ommit basic punctuation and apostrophes, but sometimes life is too short to try and edit every typo.

Language is about communication and whilst I loathe "tzt tlk" minor errors are something fluent readers just float over (hence why good proof reading is such a difficult skill).

As others have said unless the meaning of a post is ambiguous it's just plan rude to point out every error, and doing so repeatedly or calling out individuals in a (supposedly friendly informal environment like an internet forum) is outright bullying.

mondite 19 May 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> As others have said unless the meaning of a post is ambiguous

Or if it is an amusing error.

Ciro 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

I don't want to make this a pile on, but just to illustrate how difficult it can be for some people to spell words correctly:

My sister has been a podiatrist for years, with a significant part of her work being healing people's heels... yet she still can't use "heel" and "heal" correctly.

The only important thing is that we can communicate, and where people use the wrong word, we generally know from context what they mean.

If in doubt, just ask politely for clarification.

FactorXXX 19 May 2022
In reply to Maggot:

> Corgi puppies?

Even better if they were Hush Puppies as they'd be quieter.

OP Tobes 19 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

> And GirlyMonkey

> Please make the effort to spell the right version of the word being used. This happens too often. If you are not sure, then use a dictionary, then perhaps you won't need to next time.

> <you can here 

> hear

> < peace and quite. (GM)

> peace and quiet.

> No doubt I will get dislikes, but I cannot be the only person to feel the same way. Just think when writing please.

You’ll note with the exception of the ‘here’ (hear) the rest of my OP was grammatically correct - I can only apologise ; ) it was late at night, my screen is pretty small, fat thumbs/autocorrect and my proof reader was off for the night (!) - I’ve taken onboard your comments and will endeavour to implement those corrective actions into future posts…..the shame, the shame…..! 

russellcampbell 20 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

Diddums! 

Michael Hood 20 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

Although veteye is being pedantic, I have a suspicion that he (*) posted that to see how many down votes and angry DM type responses he could get. If that's true then he's trolled quite a number of people.

(*) I've always assumed that veteye is a he but I suddenly thought "I don't actually know" so my apologies if actually he is a she or it or them or whatever is the correct terminology in today's reasonable but ridiculous society.

In reply to Tobes:

I thought this thread was going to be about dogs that are left to bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and bark and...

Dave Ferguson 20 May 2022
In reply to Tobes:

The same sort of people who shout at their dogs tend to shout at other people too in my experience, including their children. It amuses me no end as neither the dog nor the child generally take a blind bit of notice. It does make me wonder why they do it but its probably just a way of venting their frustration. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...