Do you engage with Politicians on Social Media?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EarlyBird 08 Nov 2019

Wow! I've just had an exchange with my Conservative prospective parliamentary candidate on Twitter  over antisemitism accusations - that was a mistake. I learnt very quickly how important context is in having a reasonable argument. I also learnt very quickly that Twitter isn't a place for reasonable argument. Anyone got any tips for cornering slippery politicians on social media?

toad 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

Remember you are arguing with his team, rather than the individual, all of whom have had extensive social media training. It isn't an even playing field

OP EarlyBird 08 Nov 2019
In reply to toad:

I think it was his team and an entire network of twitter users ready to pounce on a thread about alleged Labour antisemitism!

Ian W 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

I filled in a questionnaire by our local tory candidate, and offered to help knock on a few doors. However, I was grassed up by a mutual acquaintance as a being  a bit of leftie, and oddly enough, i haven't heard anything since. She's from a PR background and has worked for the likes of FB, Cuadrilla and the leave campaign.  Totally on-message Tory brexit wise, and I'd have loved helping her present her arguments, but hey-ho.

kamala 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Ian W:

I filled in a questionnaire "from" Boris Johnson, on the principle that he should hear some more diverse opinions.

For my pains I've been added to the Consesrvatives' mailing list. I lasted till the second email before their bland assumption that "getting Brexit done" was an irresistible lure, before snapping and breaking my own rules about rudeness. 

But somehow I don't think they read my unvarnished opinion of Boris and his party, as the begging emails are still coming...

Post edited at 17:29
 Yanis Nayu 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

I comment but have never had a response. 

Ian W 08 Nov 2019
In reply to kamala:

but how could there be any other opinion. Its the will of the people. When Boris was in stockton yesterday, he was apparently overwhelmed by the number of people asking him to just Get Brexit Done.......

Either that or he was lying.

girlymonkey 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

Our local Tory nitwit made a video for Facebook about how important he thinks "green issues" are. He got a thorough slating in the comments and didn't reply to any. Many of us pointing to his voting record etc.  

Removed User 08 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Our local Tory nitwit made a video for Facebook about how important he thinks "green issues" are. He got a thorough slating in the comments and didn't reply to any. Many of us pointing to his voting record etc.  

Would you?

girlymonkey 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed User:

> Would you?

Would I what? Respond to comments? Surely the point of these kinds of things is to convince us that he actually believes it (he doesn't) and enter into a conversation about it to try and convince the electorate? All he got was a string of criticisms which would convince anyone reading that he's a blatant liar (he is) and no attempts at all to convince us otherwise.

Removed User 08 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

If you were subject to a torrent of abuse on Twitter/FB how would you feel? Politicians are people too.

I just say this because I heard my own MP talk candidly about it a few years ago when cybernat abuse was at its height. If you looked at the comments on his FB page you'd find dozens of abusive posts from morons convinced they were right to the point they felt entitled to visit his page and flick the metaphorical vees at him. He said his coping strategy was to put up a post and never go back to it. He had a right and even a duty to express his views and wasn't going to be shut up but at the same time was affected by it all.

I'm not suggesting you're stooping to the level of cybernat morons but when challenging a politician it's worth remembering they're no different from you or I.

Removed User 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

Bear in mind that if you reply to a post it's likely that more people will read the original so unless you have a really good, convincing counter argument it is probably better to say nothing.

girlymonkey 08 Nov 2019

No one was being abusive, everyone was pointing out his inconsistencies with what he has done and how he has voted with what he was saying.

If a politician running up to the election doesn't want to engage in debate, maybe they shouldn't be running and certainly shouldn't be posting on social media! The only logical conclusion is that he has no answer and, as you point out, more people will now see responses and look at his voting record. It's incredibly bad publicity indeed for him. 

bouldery bits 08 Nov 2019
In reply to EarlyBird:

Got a retweet from Prescott once.

Quit Twitter a week later reasoning that I'd already peaked. 

In reply to EarlyBird:

Answered my door to the local MP this week!

With a raised eyebrow - I was a little starstruck and looked unkempt, I was also eating a bar of dark chocolate when I opened the door so had to finish munching that before I could say anything.

The MP was a thoroughly wholesome and switched on person, I thought.

Made a refreshing change to online talk.

Philip 08 Nov 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Got a retweet from Prescott once.

> Quit Twitter a week later reasoning that I'd already peaked. 

I've had a reply from Bob Flowerdue that and a like from one of the Hairy Bikers!

Removed User 08 Nov 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker:

> Answered my door to the local MP this week!

> With a raised eyebrow - I was a little starstruck and looked unkempt, I was also eating a bar of dark chocolate when I opened the door so had to finish munching that before I could say anything.

> The MP was a thoroughly wholesome and switched on person, I thought.

> Made a refreshing change to online talk.

Who was it?

I'd rather not say. There's probably alot of people on here who think I'm a bit of a pillock so I'd rather not tarnish my MP's chances 

> I'm not suggesting you're stooping to the level of cybernat morons but when challenging a politician it's worth remembering they're no different from you or I.

When challenging Boris's posts on Twitter it is worth remembering that there is a '*' in c*nt. 

Otherwise the minions will get you banned.

OP EarlyBird 08 Nov 2019

Yes. You're right. I replied to a post I should have ignored. I knew the context, the majority of the other respondents didn't. Every day's a school day!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...