Do i need planning permission for Windows?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james wardle 18 May 2019

Hello comrades

any planning experts on here?

I'm refurbishing a boathouse.  (so a commercial building not domestic)

20 years ago three windows were boarded over with UPVC cladding.  I would like to reinstate them and replace them with double glazing.

I'm not in a conservation area or anything funky like that.

If I get a FENSA approved contractor to put double glazing in do I need planning permission or not?

photo here https://photos.app.goo.gl/t9Tv7Z7U8vG8U8YJ6

My friendly local authority will charge me £160 for pre-planning advice to tell me if I need planning permission or not !!!

Thanks

James

balmybaldwin 18 May 2019
In reply to james wardle:

If there were pre existing windows, even if boarded over I can't imagine you would need planning permission.

As long as there isn't a facing domestic window on your neighbour's building I wouldn't think it would bother anyone either.

Take photos of existing windows etc so you have some proof you haven't "changed" anything

88Dan 18 May 2019

You might need to ask Bill Gates first.

Deadeye 18 May 2019

Given the size of the bloatware that comes with it, probably.

pec 18 May 2019

Its not in a conservation area and its not a listed building. The new window doesn't afford a view you don't already have over another property (it can be seen from your picture it doesn't because its next to an existing window) so no, you don't need planning permission.

You aren't making a new structural opening and Fensa can self certify anyway so you won't need building regs approval either.

rogersavery 18 May 2019

Put the windows in - if you need planning permission your local authority will soon tell you for free

Rog Wilko 18 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

> You might need to ask Bill Gates first.

So I'm not the only one misled by the random upper case W in the thread title.

OP james wardle 19 May 2019

Thanks for the feedback.  I will ask Bill and then give it a go! 

Bojo 19 May 2019

Some years ago I renovated a 200 year old cottage. Part of the project involved replacing a window positioned centrally in one wall with two about two feet either side of the original window position. I spoke briefly with the local building control officer who confirmed that planning permission was not required and that he was happy that Building Regs were being complied with.

In short I think YOU will have no problem since the windows are e3ffectively already there.

Do you know why the windows were boarded up in the first place? Could it have been a planning consent issue at the time? 

OP james wardle 19 May 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I think it was just a lack of money to replace them all. 

the last planning related to the building is from 1963! well before the introduction of uPVC ! 

thanks to everyone for all the advice

Neil Williams 20 May 2019

I don't know the answer regarding planning, but it's worth noting FENSA has nothing to do with planning consent, it exempts you from the need to make a *Building Regulations* application, in a similar manner that having notifiable electrical work completed by a Part P registered electrician exempts the need to make a building regulations appliacation for that.

The two things are separate - planning is essentially about whether the proposal is acceptable to others, whereas building regs are about safety and environmental performance.

Post edited at 00:30
 peterjb 20 May 2019

Ive heard that Teresa May is the go to person for planning consent.... shes great at getting extensions through.

lesleyann 20 May 2019

You are required to apply for planning permission as it changes the aesthetics of the building. Generally nobody ever does tho but it’s not until you go to sell it that may get picked up or wait till someone complains

Post edited at 09:23
 The New NickB 20 May 2019

I’m a planner by training, but haven’t done any Development Management work of any note for half a lifetime.

As others point out FENSA will deal with Building Regs but not planning permission. It  looks like permitted development to me. You are just replacing windows, the fact that they have been boarded up isn’t really relevant, unless there was a planning related reason to that led to their boarding, although that seems unlikely. Is it remaining a boathouse? You need to look at the use class orders if it isn't.

OP james wardle 20 May 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Thanks. Nick

Yes, it's remaining a boathouse.  because it's classed as a commercial building I don't beelive there is such a thing as permitted development as there would be for a house.

there seem to be no planning applications since 1963, and non-relating to this end of the building.

MJAngry 20 May 2019

Depends on your council area. 

Have a check. 

Ours say that you need planning permission to change your windows. Not that anyone does getting their upvc changed. 

The New NickB 20 May 2019

There are still permitted development rights,  they are just different. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/pdfs/uksi_20150596_en.pdf

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...