Disposable BBQs again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zb1 16 Apr 2021

Popped into One Stop in Hathersage to grab a bite to eat and saw a large pile of disposable BBQs for sale. Questioned the staff in store who were vary understanding and agreed with the principle of not stocking them in Peak Park but said there's nothing they can do. 

I am tempted to go in and buy the lot but I fear it will just encourage Tesco (who own One Stop) to send twice as many on the next delivery. Beyond tweeting the official One Stop account to attempt to embarrass them into removing them I'm not really sure what else I can do.

Really pretty raging considering the issues we had with them last year.

Ideas?

Rob Exile Ward 16 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

Contact Tesco's - make sure they're aware? 

Removed User 16 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

Write to your councillor and ask them to approach Tesco.

Maggot 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Removed User:

I think councillors are as useful as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.
Wouldn't getting the fire service to contact them be more effective?
After all, they're the poor buggers who have to sort the fires out.

Tom Valentine 16 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

I wonder if people who use disposable barbecues irresponsibly in the Peak Park actually buy them in the Peak Park. 

Bottom Clinger 16 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

Nothing to say other than: I’m with you bro. Ban them. The fact that many use them responsibly is a red herring coz the minority that use them irresponsibly are causing chaos. And I don’t mean this in a flippant way but just eat pie...and cheese and bread and stuff. 

Neil Williams 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Tweet them - this sort of complaint is better made in public.

Neil Williams 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

I don't generally like that "collective punishment" idea, but to be fair they are pretty useless, if you're at home you can get a proper one and a bag of charcoal for next to nothing, and if you're not at home you shouldn't really be having a BBQ anyway.  (Campsites that allow them might be better getting a stock of proper ones and hiring them out, or building a BBQ area).

Post edited at 22:03
 Blue Straggler 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I wonder if people who use disposable barbecues irresponsibly in the Peak Park actually buy them in the Peak Park. 

I wonder if the people who buy disposable barbecues at the One Stop in Hathersage actually live in the Peak Park.

aka “does it matter where the irresponsible users of disposable barbecues actually live?”

OP zb1 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

I'm not a regular Twitter user but have attempted to engage with them. We'll see if they respond. 

Willgriggsonfire I totally agree with the pie, bread and cheese sentiment. If it's good enough for Font it's good enough for the Peak. And they haven't even got pork pies!

Maggot 17 Apr 2021

> I wonder if people who use disposable barbecues irresponsibly in the Peak Park actually buy them in the Peak Park. 

I bet they do.  Your average shell-suited townie probably goes into your 'One Stops' to stock up on super high caffeine fizzy energy beverages and see a pile of disposabel BBQs and think "Ooooooh, let's have a barbie."

(can't beat a good stereotype )

Removed User 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Maggot:

> I think councillors are as useful as the proverbial chocolate fireguard.

Some are better than others but if something is going to happen then politicians will be involved ultimately. 

There are council elections in England on May 6th? This is the sort of local issue that someone may well seize on, a good opportunity to get their name in the papers. Another tactic might be to highlight the issue with a Green party candidate.

Twitter and FB pages could also be effective if done right. Don't expect one tweet with one @ to work though. Lots of messages over different platforms and addressing different groups and individuals is the way to get people talking about it.

In reply to zb1:

Loads of abandoned tents and deck chairs in the lakes both this year and last.

I shall go to needless sport and demand that the cease selling camping gear. 

OP zb1 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

You can if you want. But I'm not talking about a littering problem, which is a massive problem here in the Peak too. I'm talking about hectares of protected wildlife habitat destruction every dry spell that is moderately easy to prevent. It also costs local authorities a lot of money, fire crews don't come for free unfortunately. Some of last year's fires took over a week to get under control with multiple crews working round the clock.

People who litter are inconsiderate and unwelcome. 

People who cause massive fires risking other people's lives are in another league altogether.

Remover the main source of the problem, educate visitors through signage etc and enforce hefty fines or FPNs for those who break the rules. Goes for fires and littering in my opinion.

wbo2 17 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:  Local newspaper for a bit of name and shame, ditto twitter

summo 17 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

The uk doesn't take fire risk on moors or forest that seriously, I think it's partially because folk think it's always raining and they don't see the land as a resource in the same way. Certainly in Norway and Sweden fire risk is imbedded in normal forecasting on the websites, news etc..  it's hard to miss as the symbol is in the most prominent place on your screen when you load up any forecast. 

When it's high risk, all fires are banned, even garden fires or bbqs at home. Shops, petrol stations and so on have taken all charcoal off their shelves too. The metal tray type have all but disappeared. Most places folk will bqq outdoors have a concrete ring 3/4 filled with sand and a metal grill over for people to use themselves. 

Tom Valentine 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> aka “does it matter where the irresponsible users of disposable barbecues actually live?”

or where they buy their barbecues from?

In reply to zb1:

Your post/rant relies on assumption rather than evidence. Find some data, what are the main causes of uncontrolled Moorside fires in the UK?

I would expect, deliberate arson, smoking and burning waste to sit much higher up the list.

There is also a large amount of arrogance and snobbery in these posts. It it seen as OK for us as climbers to camp, use naked flame stoves etc because we are special. How dare the shell suited masses try to do the same.

"trespassers Jeeves, set the dogs in them" 

Lankyman 18 Apr 2021

> Your post/rant relies on assumption rather than evidence. Find some data, what are the main causes of uncontrolled Moorside fires in the UK?

Nollidge College did a study a few years ago and found that the main causes were (I quote): 'advanced f*ckwittery with a good helping of plain old scumbaggery'

jethro kiernan 18 Apr 2021

It’s not snobbery, it’s the evidence clearly seen of brown black rectangles burnt into the vegetation  at every beauty spot in the country, this doesn’t mean that the deliberate burning of grouse moor’s and other causes shouldn’t be addressed, it’s just disposable is bad and disposable bbq’s are a whole heap of bad.

Post edited at 08:12
OP zb1 18 Apr 2021

I'll have a word with Jeeves. He shouldn't have the dogs off the lead this time of year, ground nest birds and lambing sheep, old boy.

Richard J 18 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

Councils do have the power to ban the use of disposable barbecues in some public places (which would include popular East Peak car parks and nearby access land) through "Public Space Protection Orders".  This was an issue in Derbyshire Dales District Council last year; the councillors for Hathersage and Tideswell tried to get a disposable barbecue ban imposed last September but the majority party on DDDC blocked it.  This is the sort of issue where local politics does matter and can make a difference, though too few people pay any attention to it.

muppetfilter 18 Apr 2021

There was another huge fire last night caused by a disposable barbecue on ringinglow with six fire apliances less than 24 hours ago ? Is this evidence enough?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/barbe...

or this one again caused by a tinfoil barbecue on Rushup edge last week .

youtube.com/watch?v=btgtjsyR-kw&

OP zb1 18 Apr 2021

> Your post/rant relies on assumption rather than evidence. Find some data, what are the main causes of uncontrolled Moorside fires in the UK?

Had a bit of time to kill while I was waiting for dinner to cook so I did a bit of research for you, me, any other interested parties.

http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/4741162353295360

Which lists BBQs as the third most common cause of upland fires after...wait for it..."managed" burns and campfires. As far as I can make out shops only tend to sell one of the top 3.

Fags, smashed glass and litter all account for less than one percent each. 

Tom Valentine 18 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

>  the principle of not stocking them in Peak Park 

> Ideas?

Greenfield, Glossop, Hayfield, Chapel e l F, Buxton, Macclesfield, Leek, Ashbourne, Matlock, Holmfirth, Meltham, Marsden.

These are all towns often associated with the Peak but they don't lie within the boundary of the Peak Park. It seems pointless to single out villages within the park in a ban while peripheral  places like  this can continue to sell the product.

Given the close location of all these sites to the park's edge, I go back to my original point: how many of the barbecues which have been abused and  involved in serious fires have actually been bought within the bounds of the Peak District National Park?

Post edited at 20:34
 muppetfilter 19 Apr 2021

No reply after being resoundingly bitch slapped ?

In reply to muppetfilter:

Busy climbing and sleeping my charming friend, how dare I miss your post?

One data point. A huge fire here in West Cumbria, which took days to extinguish was started deliberately it is alleged by the land owner. Another single data point for you.

Ranting about disposable barbecues is fashionable. They are this years drones, Mountainbikes, GPS, mobile phones, chalk, friends, sticky rubber. Choose your era.

The units themselves offer some containment so are preferable to an open fire and even some camping stoves. I am thinking hexedine blocks and petrol stoves here. Ban these too?

I seriously doubt any amount of preaching to the crowd here, or petitioning your MP will make any difference.

Use of these will be controlled as use of any naked flames are during dry periods.

The undercurrent behind the concerns is keeping the wrong sort out of our playground.

Hope you are happy now and have not missed me too much darling. xx

Timmd 19 Apr 2021

> I would expect, deliberate arson, smoking and burning waste to sit much higher up the list.

> There is also a large amount of arrogance and snobbery in these posts. It it seen as OK for us as climbers to camp, use naked flame stoves etc because we are special. How dare the shell suited masses try to do the same.

I'm thinking that disposed cigarette butts factor into things as well as deliberate arson. I found myself starting to concur with your point about snobbery, and then remembered an image being shared by Moors Of The Future or one of the mountain rescue organisations (a nature or outdoors related group) of a discarded disposable BBQ being responsible for a recent moorland fire. 

With disposable BBQs (by their nature and design purpose) being more likely to be left behind, I think that element raises the chance of them being discarded and being a potential trigger for a fire in the outdoors, which is what makes them distinct from other potential causes of wild fires (with those being avoidable if people are responsible enough too).

Edit: There's plenty of snobbery on here too, of course, but I reckon disposable BBQ's can be seen as a problem without snobbery needing to be a factor as well.

Post edited at 14:35
 summo 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Timmd:

You'd think by now that producing stuff that's single use, disposable and not likely to be recycled would be against some new internationally agreed laws. 

Timmd 19 Apr 2021
In reply to summo: Yeah, at least there's similar legislation for things like washing machines now, some awareness is forming.

Maybe some mass twittering of different stockists of the BBQs could be productive.

Tom Valentine 25 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

Looks like a big fire near  Diggle/Running Hill Pits tonight: A62 closed.

Post edited at 22:38
 Jasonic 26 Apr 2021

Think all BBQs are banned in Spain & France, except in designated areas with an on the spot fine;

With global warming something perhaps we should consider;

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k6654202-Disposable_BBQ...

peppermill 26 Apr 2021

Right but how likely is it that a camping stove is going to be left behind smouldering once it's done with?

I think this is the problem rather than a big fire starting while somebody is actively having a barbecue/party

Post edited at 09:09
 Myfyr Tomos 26 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

As long as they dispose of them in a sensible way, there's no problem surely...   Bala, Sunday morning.

Post edited at 09:31

Offwidth 26 Apr 2021

I often agree with you on some snobbish attitudes here to perceived 'riff-raff' but I think you are off target here. These disposable barbeques are helping no-one: they don't cook well; they do cause many fires that cut access and sometimes close roads; they seem cheap but a multi-use item soon works out cheaper (and cook better and are much less of a fire risk).

Toerag 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Offwidth:

Ah yes, but you don't have to wait for it to cool down then take it home and clean it do you? A disposable is much quicker and easier, just chuck it in a nearby bin or leave it where you were. :-/

HardenClimber 26 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

AND

After these (uncontrolled) fires it can take YEARS for the vegetation ro recover. I have some moorland near me, and nearly 3 years after a fire much of the ground is still bare.

DerwentDiluted 27 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

> Popped into One Stop in Hathersage to grab a bite to eat and saw a large pile of disposable BBQs for sale. Questioned the staff in store who were vary understanding and agreed with the principle of not stocking them in Peak Park but said there's nothing they can do. 

> Ideas?

In Hathersage, put your basket of shopping down at the till, mention to the manager that you are unable to complete your purchase due to their irresponsible stocking of disp BBQs, and that you will shop instead at the Spar (Barrons of Hathersage is the franchisee) where (last year at least) they refuse to stock them. Explain to the staff at the Spar that you are shopping there in preference to the One Stop in support of this policy.  Obviously this depends on the Spar (Barrons) still having that policy!  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ww...

galpinos 27 Apr 2021
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Pretty sure One Stop have stopped stocking them recently?

Justaname 27 Apr 2021
In reply to galpinos:

> Pretty sure One Stop have stopped stocking them recently?

https://www.facebook.com/peakdistrictnationalpark/photos/a.545123212209812/...

Looks like they aren't available at either shop in Hathersage now.

Philip 27 Apr 2021
In reply to zb1:

A much as a burger or a sausage are a tasty treat, I don't understand why anyone wants to lug raw meat and a BBQ to the middle of nowhere.

What happened to cheese & pickle sandwiches, a slice of pork pie, and a Mr Kipling cake.

Lankyman 27 Apr 2021
In reply to Philip:

> A much as a burger or a sausage are a tasty treat, I don't understand why anyone wants to lug raw meat and a BBQ to the middle of nowhere.

> What happened to cheese & pickle sandwiches, a slice of pork pie, and a Mr Kipling cake.

And don't forget a bag of crisps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...