Disconnecting Armoured Cable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bojo 17 Jan 2022

I have some armoured cable that run from our garage to a shed at the end of the garden. As I'm about to demolish the shed I neen to disconnect the cable. The cable runs from a box which is wired to the consumer unit. Is the anything out of the ordinary about armoured cable or is it a simple matter of switching off at the consumer unit and undoing the relevant screws on the live, neutral and earth.

Thanks

arch 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

SWA is terminated with a Brass gland. The gland is fixed into a suitable box. Disconnect the wires to the armoured cable, then undo the locking nut from the inside of the box and remove the gland and armoured all together. Get yourself the correct sized Grommet (20 or 25mm normally) and insert it into the hole the gland left and that's about it.

Ridge 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Steel Wire Armoured (SWA) cable will have live, neutral and earth cores as usual (Assuming it's domestic 240V). The armour acts an an additional earth in case the cable is cut. The box would normally be metal, but could be plastic with an earth wire inside it.

Where the SWA goes into the box the armour should be clamped into a gland (there should be a brass nut where this happens), and a separate earth wire that connects the gland (and the armour) to earth in the consumer unit. (If it's been bodged this might not have been done).

The cable from the box to the consumer unit will be the inner sheath of the SWA cable that contains the live, neutral and earth cores) and will be thinner than the cable to the shed as the outer sheath and armour has been removed.

Post edited at 18:55
OP Bojo 17 Jan 2022
In reply to arch and Ridge:

Got the picture thanks. Nothing different then apart from the gland nuts

Ridge 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Bojo:

Pretty much. The earth will probably have a sheath on it rather than bare metal as on normal 2.5 twin and earth, and (depending where the cables been sourced from) the L & N colours might be different from brown and blue or red and black, but will probably be the same.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...