Ding, bloody, Dong

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am moved to comment on this ridiculous celebration 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51149531

Isn't this an event funded by a group of rich buggers paying a company that they might have shares in to point out that they rule the roost? Pure self-indulgence.

girlymonkey 17 Jan 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

If they do ring it, it will be the funeral bell for the UK as far as I am concerned. 

We should probably work out what sort of public mourning display we will put on

Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2020

They should get a hunchback to ring it?

McHeath 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Quasibojo? 

Dave the Rave 17 Jan 2020
In reply to McHeath:

> Quasibojo? 

Yeah, shouting Tes-MayRelda

Stichtplate 17 Jan 2020

> I am moved to comment on this ridiculous celebration 

Absolutely sickening. Needless crowing over an event that leaves the UK weaker and more divided than at any point in living memory.

RomTheBear 17 Jan 2020

Let them pay for it. Even better, I'm thinking of starting a business that sells overpriced Brexit memorabilia. 

Post edited at 21:04

When will the controversy over this bell end? 

😆

Reach>Talent 17 Jan 2020

I think the whole thing is a bit of a farce, but I really feel for the poor sod project managing the restoration work watching his bonus for on time delivery go up in smoke.

NathanP 17 Jan 2020
In reply to McHeath:

Wish I could give that more than one like.

They should do it like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=HDtysFGlU64&

Donotello 17 Jan 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I’ve heard that sampled on Radio 1 a few times now I know where it’s from. 

Also when did fanny flaps get legalised on YouTube? 

pasbury 18 Jan 2020
In reply to RomTheBear:

I think eaten cake could be a bestseller. I have hundreds of eaten cakes I'm willing to sell just to prove that you can have a cake and eat it, or more accurately, have a cake and I've eaten it.

pasbury 18 Jan 2020

Seems the whole big Ben thing was a farcical blunder anyway as there was never any way that the project could have been completed even if they could raise the money from dickheads. And there was no way to accept public donations anyway.

Instead there will a projection of a clock onto 10 Downing street, Whitehall be 'lit up', union flags will fly or limply flutter in parliament Square and as a final gob in the face we get a stupid commemorative coin.

What a tawdry display of hubris.

mountainbagger 18 Jan 2020
In reply to pasbury:

> I think eaten cake could be a bestseller. I have hundreds of eaten cakes I'm willing to sell just to prove that you can have a cake and eat it, or more accurately, have a cake and I've eaten it.

Eaten cake sounds like a disgusting private school ritual.

DerwentDiluted 18 Jan 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Eaten cake sounds like a disgusting private school ritual.

As, frankly, does 'Big Ben must bong'.

wercat 18 Jan 2020

I'd rather see it demolished than ring out Brexit chimes.  If that comes to pass then we are no longer a fit country to have any national landmarks as they are now to be used for one faction of malefactors to crow over those who were denied a specific vote about being totally fooked

Banks deserves the stocks

the only acceptable ringing would be using Farage and Banks heads as the strikers, alternately

Post edited at 13:18
 Timmd 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Absolutely sickening. Needless crowing over an event that leaves the UK weaker and more divided than at any point in living memory.

Less secure financially regarding trade links, less influential on the world stage - in not being as much of a bridge between the EU and the US, and no longer being known as (with the reputation which was) a pragmatic and sensible country and being one of the founding countries in the EU, with the economy having shrunk as a result, and less able to speak honestly to and about China and the US due to the less secure trading position. 

Gloom.

Post edited at 14:10
 Trevers 18 Jan 2020

It's poorly thought out, ridiculously expensive, detrimental to long-term progress, has no discernible purpose and will make a few people happy for sentimental reasons.

In other words, ringing Big Ben is the perfect way to mark the event. Go for it, I say.

To continue the theme, it's happening at 11 pm not midnight because the EU controls the timetable.

RomTheBear 19 Jan 2020

So, the glorious Brexit Big Ben ding dong won’t happen. Instead, it’ll be a mere projection on the walls of n10.

Metaphorically, this is perfect, isn’t it?

Post edited at 16:41
 paulh.0776 19 Jan 2020

“Chucking our time” has always traditionally been at 11pm on a Fri, and marked with the ringing of a bell... 

so no real change there... 

Post edited at 20:17
 jkarran 19 Jan 2020

Let em crow now, they've won. We just need to make sure they still own it in 4 1/2 years time.

Jk

colinakmc 19 Jan 2020

By 2024 it’ll all be Starmer’s or Long-Bailey’s fault....theTimes & the Torygraph will see to it

squarepeg 20 Jan 2020

Some good news, the brexit bill has passed the Lords.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...