Dax... Did I pass you on the A1 today?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 02 Aug 2022

Driving up the A1 around Leeds today around 8am. I recall that you work with Air compressors... Passed a van with "Dax Air" on the side and the reg A6 DAX.

I've been planning to get my number plates adapted so that I can rotate them to reveal "THUND3RC4T" for just this occasion. 

Bottom Clinger 02 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

When I’m doing 135 mph past the local primary school at lunchtime, I switch mine to 

80T0M   CL1N63R

OP ThunderCat 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

135 feet an hour would have been a bonus this morning.

Dax H 02 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

If it was A6 Dax it was me. I was heading up to Leighton Reservoir to install a new compressor.

If you see me again beep though I won't know who it is 😂. 

Bobling 02 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Love this!

ExiledScot 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

>  I was heading up to Leighton Reservoir to install a new compressor.

Nice spot up there, fished it a few times. 

Ian W 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Now every time I go past Leeds I'm going to be watching out for this van.......

Dax H 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Ian W:

> Now every time I go past Leeds I'm going to be watching out for this van.......

Good luck in the hunt, word of warning though, there are 5 Citroen relays, a Citroen dispatch, a VW transporter and a VW Caddy all liveried up with Dax Air, Air compressors etc. They all have Dax plates but mine is the only OG A6 Dax.

Doesn't count if you spot an imposter. 

Dax H 02 Aug 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Nice spot up there, fished it a few times. 

Certainly is. I don't make much on my Yorkshire Water contract but who else is going to pay me to work in places like that most days. 

mondite 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Doesn't count if you spot an imposter. 

Looking forward to a post in a few months where you say all the staff are being driven nuts by random people beeping and waving at them.

In reply to ThunderCat:

How the hell is this world so small that a driver picked a van at random on the A1 and they both frequent UKC? Or is climbing just that popular now? 

alx 02 Aug 2022
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> How the hell is this world so small that a driver picked a van at random on the A1 and they both frequent UKC? Or is climbing just that popular now? 

It’s not. They are swingers and this whole thread is code for the next meet-up.

broken spectre 02 Aug 2022

Everything that ever happens is a statistical anomaly, I'd be more surprised if this had never happened, it was inevitable, frankly.

wintertree 02 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Stand aside, Stobart Spotters!

CantClimbTom 02 Aug 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

It's like you are in the gym when it's near empty and the only other person using a locker is the one next to yours. Or bumping into people you know in the airport, Swingers on the A1, that sort of thing.

Happens more often than you'd expect. Start reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem if you want to understand why.

Post edited at 20:40
 Dax H 02 Aug 2022
In reply to alx:

> It’s not. They are swingers and this whole thread is code for the next meet-up.

Damn the secret is out. 

In reply to Dax H:

> If it was A6 Dax it was me. I was heading up to Leighton Reservoir to install a new compressor.

> If you see me again beep though I won't know who it is 😂. 

Haha. That's mad. Hi Viz orange vest and an epic beard? 

Post edited at 21:04
 Dax H 02 Aug 2022

> How the hell is this world so small that a driver picked a van at random on the A1 and they both frequent UKC? Or is climbing just that popular now? 

Its not that random, my real name is Dax (it's my middle name but it's the one I use outside of work) my company is called Dax Air and my vans stand out.

Back when there was only me on the road people would comment that they see our vans all over the place, probably because the name stands out. My customers thought we were a far bigger company than we were and I didn't rush to tell them that I was pretty much the entire company, I just spun a line that key customers like them got my personal service to explain why they never saw any of our nonexistent service engineers. 

Ian W 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> Good luck in the hunt, word of warning though, there are 5 Citroen relays, a Citroen dispatch, a VW transporter and a VW Caddy all liveried up with Dax Air, Air compressors etc. They all have Dax plates but mine is the only OG A6 Dax.

> Doesn't count if you spot an imposter. 

I used to love I-spy books.......

and a new craze based on "The Observers book of Compressor Engineers".

In reply to Dax H:

> If it was A6 Dax it was me. I was heading up to Leighton Reservoir to install a new compressor.

> If you see me again beep though I won't know who it is 😂. 

I figured you might have a fleet of them, and that they'd be numbered. I wondered what the chances where. Anyway, good to meet you, sort of. 

Post edited at 21:10
 Michael Hood 02 Aug 2022
In reply to wintertree:

> Stand aside, Stobart Spotters!

I was thinking similar, I suspect we might end up with a thread of Dax Van sightings complete with "proof" pictures and a race to see who spots the whole set of 8 vans first (if I've counted correctly).

Dax, please make sure that UKC is appropriately informed of any additions to the fleet 😁

Dax H 03 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I figured you might have a fleet of them, and that they'd be numbered. I wondered what the chances where. Anyway, good to meet you, sort of. 

Good to be in the save vacinity as you at the same time 😉

The private plates are very useful. The first 3 are all A plates bought 25 ish years ago for £80 each. The rest are on L plates.

We only change vans when they start costing us money, my last one was 9 years old, a lot of customers don't care but some see an old van as a bad sign and some see a new van as they pay us too much. With a private plate no one knows. 

Post edited at 06:28
 Dax H 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I was thinking similar, I suspect we might end up with a thread of Dax Van sightings complete with "proof" pictures and a race to see who spots the whole set of 8 vans first (if I've counted correctly).

How about a free domestic level air compressor complete with tyre inflator and blow gun for the first person to see all 8 out in the wild, sitting outside my workshop first thing to photograph them all doesn't count 🤣

Bonus points if you capture our pickup with the Hiab crane on it. That doesn't go out much and being a pickup not a panel van the livery is harder to spot. 

Michael Hood 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

So I've got an idea of what an air compressor is (clue's in the name), similarly for tyre inflator.

So not knowing exactly what a blow gun was (although the name clue did give correct expectations) I had a quick Google. Could you use one instead of a jet washer to cleanup (as an example) paving slabs or would that require non- domestic levels of pressure?

And as an aside, I do hope that your exposure on UKC does (or maybe already has) lead to some business - on UKC is I suspect an unusual answer to any of those "how did you first hear about us" questionnaires 😁

James FR 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> With a private plate no one knows. 

I read that as "With a private plane no one knows" 🤣

Graeme Hammond 03 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat;

Best positive thread I've seen in a while to brighten up a gloomy morning here  

Thanks 

FactorXXX 03 Aug 2022

> So not knowing exactly what a blow gun was (although the name clue did give correct expectations) I had a quick Google.

I assumed it was something to do with his swinging activities...

Dr.S at work 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

Before I join the comp, is the air compressor light enough to take on a packrafting trip?

mondite 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Dax H:

> How about a free domestic level air compressor complete with tyre inflator and blow gun for the first person to see all 8 out in the wild, sitting outside my workshop first thing to photograph them all doesn't count 🤣

Next staff meeting.

"Anyone else getting freaked by those nutters following us from the workshop to the site, taking a photo and then running away?"

OP ThunderCat 03 Aug 2022
In reply to mondite:

We need some sort of app where you have to track them all down.  A bit like Pokemon.

Daxemon.

Michael Hood 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

This thread is a good example of the surreal side of UKC 😁

OP ThunderCat 03 Aug 2022

I'm thinking of a big UKC rear window sticker with usernames on it.

A friendly peep of the horn and a thumbs up = "like"

Ramming someone off the road = "dislike"

mondite 03 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Dislike just to have you watching the rearview mirror nervously.

Jack 03 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

There used to be a "was that you?" thread on the fell runners forum. People would post a description of a fellow runner they saw, when and where, to see if a it was a forum user they knew on line.

Think it came up with the odd match, but not very often. 

Would a ukc equivalent work? Probably loads of climbers out and about not posting on here. More to the point, could anyone be arsed.

Dax H 03 Aug 2022

Yes like a tyre inflator but more volume of air, think inflating a tyre in 20 seconds rather than 2 of 3 minutes. Also good for things like nail guns, air drills, sanders etc. 

A blow gun blows air from the air receiver to where you need it. You can use one for clearing loose debris from paving flags but it would be horribly inefficient, a leaf blower would be far better. Really good for things like cleaning grass from the underside of a lawn mower though. 

Dax H 03 Aug 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

The compressor, probably but the generator needed to run it might be a bit much 😂

Dax H 03 Aug 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

> We need some sort of app where you have to track them all down.  A bit like Pokemon.

> Daxemon.

I will talk to my It team (the apprentice) 

Dax H 03 Aug 2022

> This thread is a good example of the surreal side of UKC 😁

It's one of the things I love about this forum, between us we can talk crap about just about anything. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...