Darlton Quarry train crash.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepsoup 20 Aug 2021

The 'Mission Impossible' thread's been archived now, so I'll leave this here: a pic that just popped up on my FB timeline.  The 'train crash' stunt for the new Mission Impossible film finally happened this evening apparently.

https://www.facebook.com/VillagerJim/posts/393082652176674
(I don't think you need to be registered or logged in on fb to see this.)

JLS 20 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

The other channel’s Facebook page shared a video!

https://www.facebook.com/richard.bowring/videos/352883173049421/

Post edited at 22:44
OP deepsoup 21 Aug 2021
In reply to JLS:

Wow.  Hadn't seen that one, thanks.

In reply to deepsoup:

Thank you, but what a waste of a beautiful loco. 

Tom Valentine 21 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I can't see a train in the photo, just a locomotive and tender.......

Post edited at 08:55
 elliot.baker 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Says in the fb thread it’s made of wood with a machine to make steam 

TobyA 21 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I was next door in Goddard's a bit before the big moment. We heard the train tooting lots and there was really bad smell drifting over. Nick thought it was the chemi bogs up on the site and Cruise had probably just take a big dump pre-stunt (I believe he wasn't actually there, so maybe the director thinking about the budget). I thought it smelt more like something was dead. 

Anyways... From the video I'm not quite as confident that the easier climbs on the Sunny Side of  Darlton Quarry will have made it through unscathed.

In reply to elliot.baker:

Yeah, I suspected similar from the lack of wreckage in the video

nikoid 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

And that structure didn't look like it would take the weight of an actual loco. 

In reply to TobyA:

Re Sunny Side Walls, think I saw a photo and it looked like they had  levelled the floor of the quarry filling in the start of the routes? 

OP deepsoup 21 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> We heard the train tooting lots and there was really bad smell drifting over.

Sulphurous, sort of rotten-eggy?  If so that would probably be the smoke.  Theatrical smoke machines would struggle to produce smoke as dense as that, especially in the open air and pyrotechnical smoke cartridges are pretty stinky.

TobyA 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Christheclimber:

They are hardly the best routes in the world, but it will be a shame if they are buried or otherwise damaged. That aren't many other places beyond Horseshoe with that many routes sub- 6a all next to each other.

nickcanute 21 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

No it was definitely the chemical toilets, characteristic smell. Has been wafting into Goddards on numerous occasions since the film set was built

In reply to elliot.baker:

> a machine to make steam 

The video I've seen looked unconvincing as steam engine exhaust: smoke, rather than steam, and trailing limply from the stack, rather than being blasted up the chimney.

Richard J 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Just back from a dusk stroll down the bridleway through the quarry - there's some wreckage still piled up against the wall.  But since the view seems to be that it was a lightweight structure on a lorry chassis, perhaps it won't have made too much of an impact.  I can believe, though, that they built up the quarry floor a bit there to create the pond the thing landed in.  The planning permission said they had to restore the quarry to its original state, so presumably the pond will have to go, though how much they'll actually restore the bottom of any routes remains to be seen.

ashtond6 24 Aug 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

anyone know when we can climb there again?

Slarti B 27 Aug 2021
In reply to ashtond6:

I have a drinking buddy deeply involved with this.  Apparently they will be filiming a carriage hanging from end of "bridge" with Tom clambering up it next week !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...