Damsons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 19 Sep 2021

Millions of them. Perfectly ripe and delicious. I now need to eat tonnes of food from my freezer to make room. 

Elderberries must be inside wood pigeons. Not many about, stripped bare. 

Anyone else been put and about?

Oh, and three coma butterflies on one bramble. Stunning. 

Phil1919 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Whereabouts are you? I think the damsons are over here in Cumbria. Shame.

Kevster 19 Sep 2021

Plum vodka. That'll preserve a few!

we had damsoms and comma butterflies over the weekend too. Made for a nice time too.

In reply to Phil1919:

Got the damsons in southern Lancashire, Coppull. Just under 25 pounds. It’s a brilliant wee place - the damson bushes are in a small ditch which means the fruit is easy to pick, some branches are so loaded and so close to the ground - blow knee height. Proper small damsons hat like Lythe Valley, not cultivated hybrids.  Apart from the odd nettle rash and rose thorn scar it’s easy peasy pickings 

In reply to Kevster:

My mate made some moonshine and reckon damson moonshine is on the cards. 

Jamie Wakeham 19 Sep 2021

We had a glut last year and made damson ketchup.  It was insanely good - I realised that this is what Daddies / HP sauce is but a pale imitation of.

Annoying our trees are fruiting biennially, so we got sod all off them this year.

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> We had a glut last year and made damson ketchup.  It was insanely good - I realised that this is what Daddies / HP sauce is but a pale imitation of.

Whats the basic recipe?

Jamie Wakeham 19 Sep 2021

It's here (glad it's online, wasn't looking forward to typing it out): 

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/victoria...

Post edited at 22:46

> Got the damsons in southern Lancashire, Coppull. Just under 25 pounds.......

Another Brexit bonus!

Sorry, I couldn't resist 😂

BusyLizzie 20 Sep 2021

I am insanely jealous of you all - I adore damsons and haven't found any this year, and the shops don't seem to be bothering.

petemeads 20 Sep 2021

A damson hedge separates us from the farmer's field - and the faulty ones drop on my lawn and go squishy. Lots of fruit again this year, 3 years of plentitude on the trot, and lots of growth which I am currently trying to contain (need to prune whilst still in leaf, to avoid disease). Still drinking last years damson vodka but have bought this years prime ingredient ready. The fruit from the mature trees is perfectly ripe now, the younger ones are still a bit hard. I  can eat them raw but usually  boil them up to make a coulis to eat with vanilla cheesecake or yogurt. Son makes jam (sons damn jam) but ketchup looks like a bit of a challenge...

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Ta. Sounds yummy. Will be making some. 

fred99 20 Sep 2021

> Millions of them. Perfectly ripe and delicious. I now need to eat tonnes of food from my freezer to make room. 

You don't have to - make wine with the damsons; lovely !!

petemeads 20 Sep 2021
In reply to fred99:

Disagree - tried it a couple of years ago, still got a bottle left in the hope of improvement but basically it was almost undrinkable. Did no harm but tasted very peculiar. It did help limit my consumption however..

fred99 20 Sep 2021
In reply to petemeads:

You obviously didn't do it right.

I used to make it, not by the demijohn, but by the 5 gallon drum (30 bottles or so per drum). Gorgeous stuff.

In reply to fred99:

Agree:  my damson wine is always great.  I've also made damson port by using desert wine yeast = 18% alcohol then measuring our some brandy, few oak chips.  My freezer does start to get very full at this time of year.

TurnipPrincess 20 Sep 2021

My partner just made 12 jars of Damson jams. He picked the damsons  of a friend's damson tree in Nottingham.
We tried to collect some elderberries and blackberries yesterday , but all seem to be wilted or gone. Only managed to make 2 small jars of elderberry jelly. 

A few weeks ago I found the Mirabelle plum tree and made a few jars of jam. Finally the the clip stick came useful to shake plums off the tree. #tradclimber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...