Dame Vera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 18 Jun 2020

Dame Vera....RIP!

A lady who went out to places like Burma during the second world war....singing but also spending time with the troops...a lady with compassion and courage...

Ridge 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Impressive woman, seemed really sharp and perceptive in her later interviews.

Lankyman 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Does anyone know the inspiration for one of her best-known songs (There'll be Bluebirds)? Bluebirds aren't native to the UK so quite why they'd be flying over the cliffs of Dover I'm not sure.

Tom Valentine 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Written by an American who didn't know much about British ornithology ( so it seems)

Rob Exile Ward 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Yep; good egg. 

blackcat 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:National treasure,and rightly so.

blackcat 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:A quick research, bluebirds in those days signified happiness and wellbeing.

OP abr1966 18 Jun 2020
In reply to blackcat:

Great tribute show just been on BBC1...

I was once on a ski patrol around Lakselv in Norway....the area between Norway, Finland and Russia....we met our equivalents and after a bit of caution we met up...they were Finnish. As we parted after a brew one of them started singing 'we'll meet again'...it was a great gesture....probably around 1994!

toad 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Theres going to be a tribute concert soon, but we don't know where and we don't know when.....

Originally performed on a hammond novachord. V. Early synthesiser

Post edited at 21:12
 Trangia 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Does anyone know the inspiration for one of her best-known songs (There'll be Bluebirds)? Bluebirds aren't native to the UK so quite why they'd be flying over the cliffs of Dover I'm not sure.

Didn't it first become popular during the Battle of Britain, and the reference to bluebirds was to the "Boys in Blue"- the RAF pilots who fought over the White Cliffs?

Tom Valentine 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Trangia:

Recorded by Vera Lynn in 1942 according to Wikipedia.

Yanis Nayu 18 Jun 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Her passing has made me feel quite sad. She’s been an ever-present in my lifetime and her songs are so evocative. 

OP abr1966 20 Jun 2020
In reply to Pefa:

That is a good find!! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...