Cutting through a bike U-Lock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Julesthe1st 18 Jun 2019

I need to free my  commuting bike from the bike racks at Paddington (Keys lost in the Wye Valley). Network rail haven't been particularly helpful however I have persuaded the police there that I'm not a thief and I can cut it free.  I just need to cut through a pretty hefty U-Lock.  There is no power source available. Has anyone got experience of using large bolt cutters on a bike lock? How hard is it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jules

Dan Arkle 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Cordless angle grinder. 

(enormous bolt cutters might work) 

jamie_bkc 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

I had to do the same a few years ago, a car jack will make short work of it.

Ciro 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Cutting would be a pain, unless you want to turn up at the station with an acetylene torch. You want to force the locking end off the U.

What's your bike frame made of?

If it's solid enough, fastest way is to use the bike as a lever - rotate it until the U becomes an X and the locking end will fall off.

If it's a light frame and you're worried about damaging it, jacking it open is quite effective - if you can find or fashion such a tool. You might also have some luck with putting a bar against the inside of the locking end and whacking it with a hammer - although the bike will probably get in the way of this.

Hooo 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Cordless angle grinder. 

+1 By far the easiest and least likely to damage your bike. 

I removed an expensive disc lock from my motorcycle with one. I was shocked how quick and easy it was. Took about 10 seconds.

Alternatively, if it's one of those cylindrical keys then they are piss easy to pick. I opened​ one in 10 minutes on my first attempt after watching a YouTube video.

abr1966 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Cordless angle grinder. 

This!!

All the bike thieves use them so it must work!

Mr Lopez 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

I'm currently working a few minutes away from Paddington station. I could lend you a grinder if you need, but: A) It is corded, so you'll need to find a socket. B) It's 110v. If the hypothetical socket you find is a standard domestic 220v you need a transfomer which i could also lend you,  but it's a heavy f*cker.

Edit:

> There is no power source available

Nevermind then...

Post edited at 18:10
OP Julesthe1st 18 Jun 2019
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Good suggestion Thanks. I'll look into this.

In reply to Hooo:

Yes this would be ideal. I suspect the Network Rail might not let me do it as its locked on the platform.

Plus I would need to get hold of one.

Thanks for the suggestions. Its  a crappy old mountain bike that I use to commute across town on so not too worried about damaging it. I'm quite intrigued by the car jack method. This might actually work.   I don't think the staff at the station will let me angle grind the lock as it locked on the platform. So what ever I do use it will involve some elbow grease.

Hooo 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

That scuppers my plan then. You'd need a hot works permit to use a grinder in the station. Speaking from experience, you have more chance of winning the lottery than obtaining one.

Oceanrower 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Can you close it by pushing/snapping it shut or do you need a key to lock it?

If the former then a set of shims will almost certainly open it. 

Almost no skill required and quite satisfying...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Loboo-Idea-Assistant-Professional-Locksmith/dp/B07...

gravy 18 Jun 2019

My experience is:

Ddo not attempt to cut the curved bar - this is hardened and very tough.  By comparison the cross bar bit with the lock in it is, usually, just mild steel tube covered in tough looking plastic and you can hacksaw through it in a couple of minutes with a decent blade.

If you're lucky you won't even need to cut all the way through - just enough to cut the mechanism that shoots the bolt then the end pops off.

Based on my observations I've never seen a d-lock that can be shimmed (as per the previous post).

In reply to gravy:

Thanks. This might be the best option. And might be less noisy than hammering/ breaking the lock. Would raise a few eyebrows at rush hour though

wintertree 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Find a couple of hooded youth and enlist their help?

Yeah think I'll buy a decent hacksaw and try tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Jungle_153 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

How about watching a load of YouTube videos on how to pick the lock and give it a go?

felt 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Jungle_153:

Yes, a biro sometimes does the job with these locks.

In reply to Jungle_153:

That'd be my first choice.  If it doesn't work then nothing's been lost bar a bit of time, if it does then a new skill's been learned in addition to getting the bike back.

T.

In reply to felt:

Yes l saw the biro thing. This isn't a circular lock unfortunately. 

pec 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

If you use an angle grinder it will generate a lot of sparks which can burn nearby stuff, clothing , eyes, tyres etc, perhaps take a dust sheet and strategically place it to absorb them and wear glasses.

Alternatively use a car scissor jack, I have done this myself and it does work but it's surprising how much the lock will deform before it breaks so don't give up. Here's a video of this method

youtube.com/watch?v=0-eOnzrI43Y&

In reply to pec:

Thanks. Between a Car Jack and a hacksaw I'll get the thing off.

Andy Hardy 18 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

I reckon you should tweet Uri Geller.

machine 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

A mini hack saw from the pound shop and a tube of elbow grease will sort the job out in about 10 mins but if you are Jeremy Corbyn it will take you half the time.

Post edited at 00:06
 StockportAl 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Take a look at Lockpicking Lawyer on youtube, he's done a lot of u-locks, some by brute force others through picking or exploiting weakness in design.

MisterCorn 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

I had to do the same when I lost a key a car jack worked a treat, it goes across the U not end to end on the lock. Wrap the lock in a pair of jeans to not damage the frame. Just keep jacking and it will take 30 seconds. The U is so brittle it just snaps.

good luck.

A.

Andy Johnson 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

A locksmith will open it for you. This one https://247londonlocksmith.co.uk/bike-bicycle-and-motorbike-locksmith/  changes £50-£95 for bike locks.

OP Julesthe1st 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Good idea but its more than the bike is worth

Reach>Talent 19 Jun 2019
In reply to StockportAl:

I was also going to suggest the lock picking lawyer. 

You'll never get a hot work permit for a station so a battery grinder is out and I doubt you'll shim a standard U-lock unless it is truly awful. That really leaves jacking it, levering it or cutting it with a hacksaw; unless you are really uncoordinated the hacksaw is safest, but I'd try jacking first as it is much less effort. You may also manage to get through it with a pair of bolt cutters as some of the less good locks will snap, however you'll wreck the bolt cutters if you are wrong so probably not worth it!

Dan Arkle 19 Jun 2019
In reply to StockportAl:

> Take a look at Lockpicking Lawyer on youtube... 

I've watched a lot of his videos, (recreationally!) and would regard watching one of his videos and then trying to pick a lock (on a train platform in public) to be the same as watching a Danny MacAskill video and then trying to backflip my bike. 

The level of skill involved is incredibly high, and even the exploits require skill and knowledge. 

LastBoyScout 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Whatever you use, make sure you take eye protection - something hardened snapping could cause you serious injury. Mind the bystanders.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you saw it, it'll get quite hot.

I'd also take a large G-clamp, or similar, and try and clamp it to whatever it's locked around, or a bit of wood to wedge it, to hold it steady while you're working on it.

Pefa 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

If it near the trains you could attach a sturdy big chain to the train and the bike lock then when the train moves off it will snap the lock for you and Viola! 

If not ask a local witch if she has any spells that would unlock it. Or alternatively just borrow a big hacksaw and a couple of new blades for speed; in case the hardness of the lock blunts the one you have quickly. 

Post edited at 23:27
OP Julesthe1st 20 Jun 2019

This is turning in to a pain in the arse. I turned up this morning with my car jack and a piddly little hacksaw (that I already owned)

The Jack was too big by about 1cm so wouldn’t fit.

I didn’t hold up much hope with the little saw but thought I’d have a go. It didn’t make a scratch! I may have underestimated the quality of this D Lock.

My options now….

Bring in the car jack of my girlfriend (its smaller)

Buy a bigger hacksaw with extra blades and a tube of elbow grease (and about 45mins)

Nag Network Rail to get their maintenance team onto it (Though this might not happen fast)

Pay for a locksmith.

Rent an angle grinder (and do it before anyone has the opportunity to stop me).

Head back to the Wye valley and spend a day sifting thought the vegetation looking for the keys.

In the meantime I’m putting up with the expense and misery of the Underground.

Jake1 20 Jun 2019

I managed to open a fairly solid one just by drilling the keyhole out. Electric drill, decent bit, roughly 10 mins. Did get a few odd looks

Dave B 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

I've watched a few lock picking lawyer episodes on YouTube. See if he has any hints...  For your model

Post edited at 11:05
 Phil1919 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

There is no doubt its a complete pain loosing keys....... 

I had a friend who was on his way back from pub after a bender. We waded through a ford on a river which was a bit dodgy. He took his trousers off to save them getting wet, and subsequently lost them in the river. He arrived on the bank with no trousers, no house keys, no car keys, no work keys.  

MonkeyPuzzle 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Take off, nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

donuthead8 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

This is nail biting stuff.. can't wait to find out how it all turns out.

jkarran 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Research the exploits for your particular lock, most are badly flawed.

It may be easy to pick, it may have a soft body that can be strategically cut or drilled to release the lock, shimmed, or the plastic/zinc internals can be blow torched. Alternatively look up how to pick it, tube locks particularly look comparatively simple needing nothing very special tool wise. If you have space to work and a helper you could try twisting it off with a big bar while the helper turns the bike so it isn't crushed or bent.

You could try cutting the shackle with a nut splitter (goggles and wrap it all in a towel!), the hydraulic types make mincemeat of most lock shackles but a well greased screw-thread type might suffice. Or try a diamond or carborundum tile saw if you want to cut the shackle, not sure it'll be sharp enough though. Personally I'd start by trying to cut the body, it'll be softer than the shackle, probably just mild steel or a cast zinc alloy. A second pair of hands or a g-clamp might help, cutting moving metal is always painfully slow.

Borrow a slimmer jack.

If you can get it down onto concrete to act as an anvil a sharp cold chisel and big hammer (goggles and towel again!) with probably split the shackle if it is hard enough to resist a decent saw/file.

Battery angle grinder is the reliable option. Not cheap though.

jk

Baron Weasel 20 Jun 2019
In reply to donuthead8:

> This is nail biting stuff.. can't wait to find out how it all turns out.

My money is on finding the right jack.

felt 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

Don't you know any people who, you know, know people? Perhaps even someone on here does. I mean of course I do, but they won't go north of the river, if you know what I'm saying.

Toerag 20 Jun 2019
In reply to Julesthe1st:

>  Head back to the Wye valley and spend a day sifting thought the vegetation looking for the keys.

how about using the spare key you've forgotten about?

In reply to Julesthe1st:

A few bottles of beer and some biscuits will probably speed up station maintainance if you can speak to them directly.

If not def smaller jack seems best option

In reply to Toerag:

Alas no spare. Ancient lock. But surprisingly robust

In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

That's the ticket. After some phone calls and sometime in the Network Rail Office,  the station manager (who wasn't too impressed), has earmarked the bike for Maintenance to grind the lock off over night. I'm not sure exactly which night but he did insure me it would be very soon hopefully tonight. They'll put it somewhere "secure". He also said they shouldn't be doing this sort of thing etc etc.

So hopefully it's sorted. ... Hopefully

In reply to Julesthe1st:

> He also said they shouldn't be doing this sort of thing etc etc.

So he expects bikes to just accumulate, and slowly have their parts removed until there's just the lock and the frame...?

I suppose he might have meant the bit about securing it after it has been removed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...