Cultural Capital

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Cultural Capital - Who knows what this is all about? Not entirely sure the DFE or Ofsted do. The term was coined by Pierre Bourdieu and Jean-Claude Passeron in their 1970s book  Cultural Reproduction and Social Reproduction  and was used to explain why some children achieved greater academic success within the French education system. They suggest that this is down to something called cultural capital which is all the knowledge and support and other positive stuff that the most successful children have access to and benifit of before stepping inside a school. They essentially go  on to  say that to address this disparity, major societal change is required and it is not possible to bridge this gap in 'cultral capital' through schooling. Ofsted however, have decided that Cultural Capital is the key  to supporting the disadvantaged children in Britain and that schools should be providing buckets of it for the children in their care or they aren't providing a good education. I think schools do have a role to  play in reducing social disadvantage but I find it odd that this concept has been siezed upon with such vigor and  then totally misinterperated by Ofsted. I guess its cheaper to bash schools for not doing somethinng than it  is to change society.

Timmd 20 Feb 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

I'm wondering about how one engineers social networks to benefit the children who have less (access to) cultural capital.

wbo2 20 Feb 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker: I guess your problem is the the original authors say this deficit cannot be fixed in schools, but Ofsted disagree to an extent and say that they'd like schools to try?

Who then do you think should improve the situation?  It won't disappear unassisted 

charliesdad 20 Feb 2020
In reply to wbo2:

Unless we are prepared to remove children from their parents at birth, and raise them in orphanages staffed by clones, then there will always be differences in upbringing which mean some children do better. I suspect the problem exists even in much more egalitarian societies than ours.

I have no idea what practical steps schools could take to change this.

bouldery bits 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> I'm wondering about how one engineers social networks to benefit the children who have less (access to) cultural capital.

Me too, mate. Me too.

Post edited at 20:32
In reply to wbo2:

> I guess your problem is the the original authors say this deficit cannot be fixed in schools, but Ofsted disagree to an extent and say that they'd like schools to try?

> Who then do you think should improve the situation?  It won't disappear unassisted 

Go on then.

Tell me exactly what schools should add to their existing work load? 

DaveHK 20 Feb 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Go on then.

> Tell me exactly what schools should add to their existing work load? 

The trouble is that schools really are the most obvious place to tackle this. Where else would you get all* your target audience sat in front of a trained professional for several hours a day?

I'm not suggesting it's the right solution but it's certainly the most obvious.

* We'll, most of them.

In reply to Timmd:

No idea. My gripe is that the authors said 'here is this 'gap' we will call cultural capital and to remove it society needs to become more fair', and then Ofsted come along and say 'there is this thing called cultural capital which some children don't have enough of so schools, you need to give them plenty  and all will be well'. The Ofsted definition is really about providing a broad curriculum which gives children all the knowledge and skills they need to be successful and fulfilled members of society.

In reply to DaveHK:

The point is though,  cultural capital was a term coined to describe what many less succesful students lacked and included a stable homelife, educated parents, engaged parents, wealth, good nutrition and so on. Things that are a bit beyond schools really though we try to fill these gaps where possible.

Timmd 20 Feb 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker: The Ofsted definition doesn't work, we're in agreement about that. 

Post edited at 20:49
 DaveHK 20 Feb 2020

Yes, I understand that. I was pointing out why this stuff is always likely to fall on schools regardless of whether it's something schools can do effectively or not.

Post edited at 20:59

> The point is though,  cultural capital was a term coined to describe what many less succesful students lacked and included a stable homelife, educated parents, engaged parents, wealth, good nutrition and so on. Things that are a bit beyond schools really though we try to fill these gaps where possible.

I couldn't agree more. 

marsbar 20 Feb 2020

It's this year's important buzzword bingo phrase.  Makes a change from British values I guess.  

Next year will be different again... 

Apparently curriculum intent is next.  I will be doing what I've done for last 20 years, teaching maths and looking after the kids in front of me the best I can in the circumstances.  The year after will be a new buzzword, unless they run out and find another.  

Post edited at 21:24
 wbo2 20 Feb 2020
In reply to marsbar: well it's been around a bit longer than that - I think you're unduly cynical. I dont dislike the Ofsted definition above.

How to help schools - well money at all levels doesn't hurt, and a move away from a glorified 3it's that is the focus now

marsbar 20 Feb 2020
In reply to wbo2:

Cynical is the only way I can survive in this system.  

I'm not necessarily cynical about the concept, I am cynical that there will be a half arsed tick box attempt at covering something that looks like it might be cultural capital when inspectors are around or due, and that money will be wasted and next year whatever was done won't be as priorities change like most people change their underwear.  

Wiley Coyote2 20 Feb 2020

Since it always easier to level down than to level up probably the easiest way to eliminate the disparities would be to ban the sale of children's books, make it illegal to read or even talk to your child except to scream at them to shut up, insist all kids were called Wayne or Shaz according to gender and ban parents from talking to the brats for birth until at least their first ASBO.

Some kids will always  have a head start thanks to parents who are  more diligent, more engaged, wealthy enough to provide more, be it simply  experiences, books or a place at Eton or better educated themselves. Others, sadly are probably doomed before they can even walk. As with so much in life the golden rule seems to be: Pick Your Parents with Care

colinakmc 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

From observation in public places, we’re half way there. Every time I see a family in public either the parents or the children (or both) are non verbal and glued to a screen. Won’t be long....

‘but then I am a self identified Old Git.

Post edited at 23:18
 Dave Garnett 21 Feb 2020

> Ofsted however, have decided that Cultural Capital is the key  to supporting the disadvantaged children in Britain and that schools should be providing buckets of it for the children in their care or they aren't providing a good education. 

It's bizarre.  Cultural capital is all the education, attitudes and connections you don't get at school.  Unless, of course, you happen to attend one of those schools whose very name, and the connections you make there, become part of your cultural capital. 

Timmd 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> It's bizarre.  Cultural capital is all the education, attitudes and connections you don't get at school.  Unless, of course, you happen to attend one of those schools whose very name, and the connections you make there, become part of your cultural capital. 

Exactly. 

You can bet your bottom dollar that if too many kids got too much capital, then they'll have to start changing the culture so that those kids don't get that capital.

That's the way it works, innit. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...