Crossing from Northern Ireland into the Republic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 22 Aug 2021

I'm about to go to Belfast for a family "stay[in the country]cation". We are hiring a car to travel around and see more than just Belfast city. From what I've read on NI govt. website it sounds like there are no covid-related issues in crossing the border into the Republic because it's all the Common Travel Area. Anyone out there with local knowledge who can confirm that?

Any although I've had amazing recommendations for things to do from a friend, if anyone has any "things you just have to do/see when in NI" please feel free to share!

Cheers all.

Lankyman 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

In my experience some roads cross the border multiple times in short distances so covid checks would be all but impractical? I've caved and climbed in NI but not for years. Marble Arch Caves in Fermanagh are a show cave now but must be worth a look still. Fair Head is impressive and you're just near the Giant's Causeway. Pick a grey, choppy day to avoid the tourists.

Tom Valentine 22 Aug 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

.......other tourists......

JB 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I live in NI and my parents were over from GB last month...the advice was extremely complex and after reading pages of stuff from multiple webpages we concluded they couldn't go into the south from NI without evidence of tests etc so they didn't bother in the end...

Looking very quickly at the below it would seem you need evidence of a vaccination to come into Ireland from GB...(scroll down).

But please take a proper look!! 

Rates are very high in NI right now..

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952-government-advice-on-international-...

Post edited at 14:49
 tomsan91 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Check with your car hire company first if they offer insurance for driving in the South. The standard hire rates typically dont include this and the add on at the desk can be very expensive. 

OP TobyA 22 Aug 2021
In reply to tomsan91:

This had actually crossed my mind, so thanks - definitely worth checking properly.

OP TobyA 22 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Cheers - https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952-government-advice-on-international-... makes it sound like with our vaccination certificates if we were coming directly from GB we would be ok, although I'm not sure if I've understood about unvaccinated (or in the case of our oldest half vaccinated) children yet! 

Complicated as you say! That page doesn't mention NI so I guess that is different from GB in someway, from the Republic's perspective. 

I'm sure we can find lots to do in just NI for our 5 days anyway, but I've managed to get this far through my life seeing a fair chunk of the world, but still embarrassingly not having ever visited the nearest neighbouring country! 

Babika 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I enjoyed climbing Slieve Donard the highest point in NI. 

It's always satisfying to climb a mountain from sea level - as you can do easily in this case

JB 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I'm resident in NI and can go now over the border without restrictions but it's different if you are coming from 'GB' ie England/Scotland/Wales.

Complicated is the word!

I'll try to pen a list of stuff to do over here....

Hope you enjoy your trip!!

JB 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yes I know Budget charge for this...£20 ish from memory. Not sure about the others...

keith sanders 22 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

We have just come back last Sunday from nearly a month climbing trip to Ireland around the north west coast with a dog as well in the Campervan.

Sailed into Larne and drove straight in to ROI and climbed that evening, only knew I was in Ireland when the signs changed From MPH and then the next day into Euro's not Pounds.

No bother anywhere at the port or traveling about and wild camped except for 2 nights on a campsite  .

keith s  

bobpilgrem 22 Aug 2021
In reply to tomsan91:

It’s the Republic of Ireland or EIRE.

denis b 24 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I can confirm that there are no covid related issues crossing the border and that you will not come across any checks. As JB says, Covid rates are about 3 times higher in Northern Ireland than Republic but of course this is subject to change. Most car hire companies in Northern Ireland do not charge extra to drive in the Republic of Ireland but do ask at the counter. 

Try:

Slieve Gullion Park, Dunluce Castle, Strangford Lough, Ferry to Greenore to visit The Cooleys and Carlingford Village, Antrim Glens, Lough Erne (Boa Island), Derry (City Walls Circuit), Rathlin Island, Giants Causeway (Very early/late) and Fair Head, Mourne Mountains (Carrick Little, Meelmore Lodge or Hen/Cock Mountain access areas), Carrickfergus Castle, W5 and Titanic (kids wet day in Belfast).

Just a few ideas and do enjoy the holliers!. 

Post edited at 03:00
OP TobyA 24 Aug 2021
In reply to denis b:

Thanks Denis and everyone else.

We arrived at the international airport reasonably early yesterday morning and as our accommodation in Belfast wasn't ready until the afternoon, we went straight over to Derry. Walked the city walls, went down to Free Derry Corner and all that. Fascinating as a bit of a history/politics geek. Then we crossed over in Donegal - as you say, you hardly notice that you've crossed. Went for paddle at a beautiful beach just south of Bancruna, then drove around the beautiful Inishowen Peninsula on the "Wild Atlantic Way" - it was very placid and inviting looking in the sun yesterday! Then back to Derry for some quick food and over to Belfast for bed.

Hertz charges 25 quid for covering going into the Republic, which is fine - although a bit ironic in that we've got an Irish registered car!

RX-78 24 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Current rules I believe are if fully vaccinated there are basically no special rules for travellers from abroad.  If not fully vaccinated and an adult then you should have a negative PCR test within 3 days of arriving in Ireland (The republic), and also self isolate. This includes people travelling to Ireland via NI ( but not residents of NI)

JB 24 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

nice!

pleased you have good weather as August has been terrible here in NI....

auld al 25 Aug 2021
In reply to TobyA:

You could drive the Antrim coast road.

Visit "the gobbins" cliff walk

"Carrick a rede" rope bridge

Torr head road, spectacularly steep and close to Scotland.

And dunluce castle and giants causeway as already mentioned, though you could approach this from the East taking in part of the coastal path and avoiding crowded car park and visitor center.

https://walkni.com/walks/north-antrim-cliff-path-dunseverick-to-giants-caus...

Post edited at 01:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...