creating QR codes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 04 Aug 2020

I've been asked to prepare some 'fact sheets' for visitors to our village museum & would like to include a link to one or more websites with further information, one option would be to use QR codes rather than giving an URL in full. Googling 'creat QR code' gives lots of free options to creat such codes but does anyone have much experience of doing this, and even better a recomendation of a reliable website/software?

Thanks

Philip 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/

Put in the URL, generate the code, save the image.

QR seems to have fallen a little out favour, I think people just search on FB or Twitter for things now. We had QR codes in a work brochure in 2013 and when I asked in 2015 was told by our marketing agency that they were old fashioned.

In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug,

As mentioned QR codes are a bit old fashioned, some smartphones can read them off the camera but older models need an app to scan them and that's a pain.  I use them on the posters for my via ferrata app in the local tourist offices, when it worked it worked well, but for some they didn't have an app or the right phone. In that case they could just search the app store/google play etc. That's not an option for you so you would need to add the website as well, or users may feel put out if they cant find the site. 

In terms of making them, most of the free online QR code makers work fine, just make you check them first and that you save them with a easy to use name so you know which links to which site. 

Cheers Rob

OP Doug 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Rob & Philip:

Thanks for the replies, must admit I've rarely used them until recently when forced to in a couple of restaurants who were using them to give access to their menus. I'll prepare one or two & discuss it with the museum curator/manager

Becky E 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

If you want an option that will work without a QR reading app, maybe try a bitly link as well / instead?  That way people can access the URL in their browser without having to type in a massive URL.

https://bitly.com/

LastBoyScout 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I've been using a Google generator on the Charts API - it's deprecated these days, so the plug might be pulled at any point, but it works for now:

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=100x100&chl=<YOUR_CONTENT>

You can then cut and paste the resulting image.

This is nice, because you can use it as an external image reference in documents - if the content changes, you only need to change the text, not mess around re-generating an image. If you want, I can send you a Word document with an example in it.

steve taylor 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doug:

I used QRDroid when creating the codes for the Swanage CC Guide in 2014. It worked fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...