Crazy Seasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 05 May 2021

This is the scene that met my eyes when I drew the curtains back this morning. Leaves on the trees and snow on the fells. And a random bird (possibly one of our local ravens) on the wing. 

girlymonkey 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yep, we have snow on the hills too, a high if 8 degrees in town today and just had a crazy hail storm! I think we have woken up in December again!

Pedro50 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hail in Chester Le Street.

Dax H 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My brother was born at the back end of May in 1976 and there was snow in Leeds at the time. 

Pedro50 05 May 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> My brother was born at the back end of May in 1976 and there was snow in Leeds at the time. 

Yet the best summer in my lifetime!

wintertree 05 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Snow in Weardale this afternoon.  Between the hail, sunshine and wind.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Beeston

Lankyman 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I could see the snowy fells clearly from the Fylde near Garstang this afternoon. There was 'snow' on top of Ingleborough last Sunday but it melted off as soon as the sun came out again.

Post edited at 18:01
 Slackboot 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

What a lovely view you have.

OP Rog Wilko 05 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Your plants didn’t enjoy that, with big hailstones.

OP Rog Wilko 05 May 2021
In reply to Slackboot:

Yes, we’re very lucky. We can sit in bed drinking our morning tea admiring it.

Darron 05 May 2021
In reply to Dax H:

Yes, whilst 1976 is rightly remembered for being a hot, dry summer, I remember it snowed on 1st June.

OP Rog Wilko 05 May 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> My brother was born at the back end of May in 1976 and there was snow in Leeds at the time. 

I think it was the year before when snow stopped play in a county cricket match at Buxton. IIRC it was in June.

Of course, hail is much more common in summer than snow, as it only requires the same atmospheric conditions that produce thunderstorms. 

OP Rog Wilko 05 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Mr Google says it was June 2, 1975.

That year I was a course planner for the British Orienteering Champs held at Strines. On June 2nd I was on site preparing for the event the following weekend and got very cold and wet in the snowstorm. A week later it was so hot (over 30 C) that we had a number of competitors treated for heatstroke.

Darron 08 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes, people often forget that 1975 was a hot summer too. In fact I think I’m right in saying that the “remember last summer” Crags poster (Ron on L’Horla) was taken in that year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...